Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960479 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3840 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:07 am »

Only if the outsider is next to the green thing..... but...  ya know, I should try blowing that one of these days...

Blowing stuff up inside = less intact loot/more damaged loot I believe.

Right it is more Damaged loot. Which often means less money or something not getting the point of the whole trip.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: October 17, 2012, 01:19:51 am »

Anyone else take an alloy shiv on missions? They are pretty cheap and exceptional at drawing out enemies. Just make it go forward a few turns, then as it spots enemies just have your sniper ruin their shit. As a bonus you can drive it up an ethereals ass and it can't do a damn thing.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:04 am »

Indeed. Immunity to mind control is a goooood thing.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: October 17, 2012, 01:25:18 am »

Not to mention you can use it as mobile cover for getting across open areas, or areas where plasma crossfire has destroyed literally everything >.<

Also useful for the center path in barges/battleships that are one long hallway with no cover at all. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: October 17, 2012, 01:50:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BOOMER!

I also find it funny that the alien hiding behind there is a "Thin Man".

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: October 17, 2012, 01:59:03 am »

This game is making me super stressed.  :o
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: October 17, 2012, 02:13:14 am »

I just completed normal ironman. Was I the only one who never got psi-attacked through-out the game? Normal was actually much easier than I anticipated, losing a guy was very rare even on the hardest of settings. Ethereals, when found, never got a single turn to take.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: October 17, 2012, 02:51:40 am »

I've somehow not encountered ethereals yet, but are the sectoid commanders supposed to mind control you or something? Because all they've ever done is shoot at me for their one turn of life but when you dissect one, the science chick is all "You saw how incredibly dangerous these were in the field!:
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: October 17, 2012, 03:07:59 am »

I've somehow not encountered ethereals yet, but are the sectoid commanders supposed to mind control you or something? Because all they've ever done is shoot at me for their one turn of life but when you dissect one, the science chick is all "You saw how incredibly dangerous these were in the field!:
They most certainly can. They can also deal nigh-unavoidable damage with their mind: damage that is not affected by cover, Overwatch, or Suppression.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: October 17, 2012, 03:21:56 am »

I just completed normal ironman. Was I the only one who never got psi-attacked through-out the game? Normal was actually much easier than I anticipated, losing a guy was very rare even on the hardest of settings. Ethereals, when found, never got a single turn to take.
There is a difficulty gulf between Normal and Classic on both the strategic and the tactical levels.
On the strategic level, less income, more cost and more panic basically.  (I dislike the increased panic management.)
On the tactical level, -1 hp +panic chance for soldiers, +aim +crit +hp for aliens, more aliens, no AI limitations(?), and no max to aliens you fight at the same time.  (Easy/Normal, most aliens you can fight at one time is 5 I think?)

I'd be willing to hit up Easy/Normal panic management with Classic Tactical.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: October 17, 2012, 03:32:20 am »

This basically sums up my feelings. I think I might prefer the brutality of Classic in battle, but so far I greatly prefer Normal's fairly mellow panic increases (and money management, but a lot of that's probably due to low replacement costs).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: October 17, 2012, 03:45:28 am »

no AI limitations(?)

As far as I've noticed the AI flanks you a lot more in classic than normal (where it hardly ever bothers), stays in cover pretty much after every turn (where as normal I've often had exposed aliens shoot at me) and are also more likely to alert extra alien groups (although that could just be because there are more groups to alert)

Annoyingly I find normal way to easy and classic way to hard, a lot of that is because I'm bad at luring aliens out to fight. How to people do that? for me they just sit back and wait for me while on overwatch.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: October 17, 2012, 03:49:18 am »

This basically sums up my feelings. I think I might prefer the brutality of Classic in battle, but so far I greatly prefer Normal's fairly mellow panic increases (and money management, but a lot of that's probably due to low replacement costs).
I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to mod. Just take the modifiers for the strategic Normal difficulty and copy them into the Classic values. Or you could wait for someone with more experience to handle it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: October 17, 2012, 04:08:01 am »

Annoyingly I find normal way to easy and classic way to hard, a lot of that is because I'm bad at luring aliens out to fight. How to people do that? for me they just sit back and wait for me while on overwatch.
Classic: They seem to never move in overwatch range if you are on overwatch AND if any of them sees the overwatcher.
As for luring, I suppose the best you can do is withdraw out of sight of all the aliens except for 1 soldier and 1 alien... the rest of the aliens will move up and if you have overwatch set....  Even then, the aliens sometimes luckily only move up enough to spot your overwatchers but not trigger the ambush...

If your guy can see an alien, the alien can see you.  (Hunker Down does not count in your favor here.)

Overwatch seems a pretty good tactic to prevent the enemy from trying to flank.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:10:40 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: October 17, 2012, 04:22:47 am »

I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to mod. Just take the modifiers for the strategic Normal difficulty and copy them into the Classic values. Or you could wait for someone with more experience to handle it.
Yeah, good point. Possibly on both accounts, though. :x

Plus, I would like to get a bit more experience in before I start changing things. Want to make sure the things I take issue with are genuine, persistent issues and not just me scrubbing it up.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 625