Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960512 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3825 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:42 pm »

Hey, has anyone noticed that mind controlled aliens that die leave intact weapons? Because this is the second time now that I've gotten intact weapons after using mind control on an enemy and having that enemy die.

Also, my god plasma snipers with Double Tap and 115 aim are scary.
I have noticed that. And yes, they are :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: October 16, 2012, 09:40:15 pm »

Hey, has anyone noticed that mind controlled aliens that die leave intact weapons? Because this is the second time now that I've gotten intact weapons after using mind control on an enemy and having that enemy die.

Indeed. The weapons still appear to blow up, but you don't get the "<X> weapon explodes into fragments!" message.

Oddly, you still seem to get the weapon when the alien is killed by explosives (when you normally wouldn't even get the fragments). Such as my Heavy nailing my mind controllee with a rocket.  ;)

Hopefully, it'll be fixed in the same patch that lets you intentionally shoot mind controlled aliens... waiting for them to switch back would be less painful if they didn't get a turn immediately after they switch back.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: October 16, 2012, 09:49:42 pm »

Oddly, you still seem to get the weapon when the alien is killed by explosives (when you normally wouldn't even get the fragments). Such as my Heavy nailing my mind controllee with a rocket.  ;)
Huh, I'm not so sure about that. I had a mind controlled Muton killed by an alien grenade from my heavy when it was the last alien left and I didn't get it's weapon when I got back.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:25 pm »

Huh, I'm not so sure about that. I had a mind controlled Muton killed by an alien grenade from my heavy when it was the last alien left and I didn't get it's weapon when I got back.

...huh, I could've sworn I still got the loot.

I might be mis-remembering, though. Maybe I got it from mind-controlling an enemy, letting them switch back, and then killing them? So, killing them after a mind control wore off.

I'm 95% sure I got the weapons after killing a once-mind-controlled alien myself, not forcing another alien to get the kill. Thought it was via explosives (which is currently the only way to kill mind-controlled aliens while they're on your team).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: October 16, 2012, 10:15:39 pm »

Welp, apparently the game does not know how to deal with trolling with mind control, and as a result got stuck.

What I did was have a mind controlled Elite Muton throw a grenade at an unseen group of presumably 2 Elite Mutons and 1 Ethereal. The game then went "WTF?" and as a result the enemies' "Aha! XCOM! Run into cover!" turn froze up.

Oh well, at least I saved before the mission.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:32 pm »

I just got trolled hard by a sectoid.  If I'd been playing classic he'd have gotten a kill out of it too.  We were doing an abduction mission in a map with some shops.  We'd just cleared the first three sectoids, the last one having slipped out the back door.  We heard him moving around in the next one, a bookstore, and moved in.  As we came up on the front door we heard it just out the back, so I brought my guys in nice and slow, taking cover around the back door.

He jumps off the roof, lands right outside the front window, and opens up on my guys from behind.  Well played, Sectoid.
Shoes...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »

anyone else ever decide to nickname their sniper in skeletal armor 'spiderman' and have him only hook-jump around?  Cause I did, and it doesn't work when theres a lot of guys on overwatch.
Nom nom nom

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: October 16, 2012, 11:09:20 pm »

Welp, apparently the game does not know how to deal with trolling with mind control, and as a result got stuck.

What I did was have a mind controlled Elite Muton throw a grenade at an unseen group of presumably 2 Elite Mutons and 1 Ethereal. The game then went "WTF?" and as a result the enemies' "Aha! XCOM! Run into cover!" turn froze up.

Oh well, at least I saved before the mission.

It gets stuck on tactical for other reasons too. Patch claims to fix it but doesn't. I'm playing on Ironman so it's doubly annoying.

You can still slog through it. Bashing the switch weapons button prevents freezes from your end sometimes. Only certain enemies freeze up, so if you kill them before they can move, it works.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: October 16, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »

A good anti-chrysalid strategy is to have an assault with a shotty and the "free reaction shot within 4 tiles" perk.  Toss a SCOPE on him for better accuracy and crits, then post him up in a chokepoint.  Many dead chrysalids.  Works somewhat well against berserkers, too, but unless you've got two guys with Alloy Cannons you're not going to get a 1-hit kill and will probably be on the wrong end of a mauling.
That strategy would still work, actually. Have someone behind the assault shoot the berserker to draw it in range of the perk triggering radius. The berserker does not respond to damage from reaction fire and will keep moving towards whoever drew it.

Doesn't work, unfortunately.  The perk, or any overwatch it seems, doesn't trigger on the free moves Berserkers get when you shoot them.  Anyone else have their game get massively laggy when the Berserker's moving like that, btw?  I swear every time I shoot a berserker and it moves, my game drops to 1 FPS until it's done,
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »

A good anti-chrysalid strategy is to have an assault with a shotty and the "free reaction shot within 4 tiles" perk.  Toss a SCOPE on him for better accuracy and crits, then post him up in a chokepoint.  Many dead chrysalids.  Works somewhat well against berserkers, too, but unless you've got two guys with Alloy Cannons you're not going to get a 1-hit kill and will probably be on the wrong end of a mauling.
That strategy would still work, actually. Have someone behind the assault shoot the berserker to draw it in range of the perk triggering radius. The berserker does not respond to damage from reaction fire and will keep moving towards whoever drew it.

Doesn't work, unfortunately.  The perk, or any overwatch it seems, doesn't trigger on the free moves Berserkers get when you shoot them.  Anyone else have their game get massively laggy when the Berserker's moving like that, btw?  I swear every time I shoot a berserker and it moves, my game drops to 1 FPS until it's done,
I JUST killed two beserkers by having them charge towards my assault from my assault shooting it for one, and another for having my sniper who was behind the beserker shoot it and it ran past the assault who then filled it's face with plasma on a reaction shot.
Nom nom nom

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: October 17, 2012, 12:07:04 am »

1st, All soldiers will be able to take Assault Rifles and Shotguns. Doesn't really make sense that your Sniper can't have an Assault rifle if you really want, and it's not like they can use their class abilities with one. So it shouldn't be broken at all.

Heavy has LMG which is pretty decent, only downside is if you have plasma rifles but only normal LMG. Support and Assault both can use the rifles and Sniper can get gunslinger perk which makes pistol equal to an assault rifle, better even if you consider that pistol has no need to reload, the gunslinger perk is pretty good and damn good ground is nice perk but not that amazing as you already have elevation bonus, but is useful if your sniping with no cover in a high place.

My issue isn't that you'd usually want to give your Heavies and Snipers different weapons most of the time, it's just annoying that even when you want to you can't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: October 17, 2012, 12:08:42 am »

Ok, so i'm doing better on classic. Every country has a satellite, nobody has left. I haven't even captured an outsider yet, every time I try my men kill it. I'm tempted to just load everyone up with arc guns and charge a load of squaddies at it. See no reason not to. I can't do the interrogate the sectoid anymore, which is a pain. They stopped spawning because I kept killing them so fast.

So yeah, i've learned that the trick to X-COM on classic is just to blow everything up and pick whatever's left off with your snipers. I still lose a squaddie or two every mission but pah, i'm getting around 1600 a month now. I really don't care that much for them. They'll either toughen up or get replaced. I have about 10 other heavies that need training anyway. 
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: October 17, 2012, 12:12:27 am »

Try saving a grenade + disabling shot for the outsider?  He should have 5 hp. 
Or are you the one who modded em to be 10hp?  Save a rocket launcher + disabling shot in that case.

Also, Support with +3 moves.  Skeleton/Ghost armor if you have. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:39 am »

He has 5hp. I suppose a grenade would do it. I hadn't considered it, as explosions inside a UFO are drummed into you as very very bad.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: October 17, 2012, 12:29:20 am »

Only if the outsider is next to the green thing..... but...  ya know, I should try blowing that one of these days...

Blowing stuff up inside = less intact loot/more damaged loot I believe.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 625