Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960532 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3765 on: October 16, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »

Yeah, aliens sometimes make smart decisions, but most of the time they aint the brightest. Give them a bit of teasing and they'll run out one by one into your hail of laser/plasma fire.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: October 16, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »

I should really show you guys a vid of me playing. I do make the enemy come at me through massed overwatch. I'll hunker down instead of taking a risky as hell shot. I've learned a lot on my last 11 or so classic attempts. Mainly that they kind of went overboard on how punishing it was. Even the original xcom wasn't this bad.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: October 16, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

Also I love plasma fire hitting the sectopod then a nice big MISSED popping up.

That just means that you hit somewhere were it didn't do damage. I've seen the same thing with aliens firing at my SHIVs.
Yeah, if you roll a miss, your guy still fires rounds which the game actually traces out (Unreal engine being designed for shooters). This can affect gameplay if the rounds hit cover and destroy it, but if they just coincidentally hit an alien or teammate then they do no damage. I kind of liked how in the old Xcom if you rolled a miss you might actually hit another enemy and or even the same enemy (especially cyberdiscs and berserkers) and still do damage, but at least this means no friendly fire.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:01 pm »

I should really show you guys a vid of me playing. I do make the enemy come at me through massed overwatch. I'll hunker down instead of taking a risky as hell shot. I've learned a lot on my last 11 or so classic attempts. Mainly that they kind of went overboard on how punishing it was. Even the original xcom wasn't this bad.

I have been playing the original a lot these past few days while waiting to get X-COM for myself (which is pushed back another week now, ugh), and I have had many an issue with getting brutally murdered. Though it's been balancing out, as many of my rookies are gods in the sense that they're consistently hitting at 20-30% hit chance. My first base assault saw one rookie holding off a hallway full of snakemen. Sadly, we were forced to retreat and while he was pulling back another guy got nuked and he bit it as well. If I would have kept him there, he would have survived. Sad times all around.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: October 16, 2012, 02:44:47 pm »

I would be ok with that if it didn't mean that every time I got screwed I lose a team member which in turn panics the next guy who will then turn and shoot someone in the back. A single bad roll of the dice and your entire mission can get screwed. Later on, one bad dice roll and you lose the game.

I have the same problem, although I'm not playing ironman and am not afraid to reload if I get a tantrum spiral.  I think the problem is  that according to the screen hints, critically wounded soldiers permanently lose Will, and some of my best guys have been gravely injured several times.  It seems unavoidable no matter how safe I play it.  The "+Will per level" OTS bonus is rather expensive, forcing you early on to choose between more sats, or a few Will boosts to soldiers that are probably already halfway levelled up.  I imagine its the second wave of soldiers that will be the strongest ones since they get the Will bonuses through their whole career.

Combat Drugs seems a pointless way to boost Will, since you can't really predict ahead of time that a panic turn is coming up, and when a panic turn happens its too late to add the Will.  The +defense smoke I think is the way to prevent those rare hits, but frankly there are not remotely enough smoke grenades to cover the hundreds of times your guys are going to be under fire.

Generally, I just try to make sure its my Assaults that I leave in exposed positions, and that they always get the beefiest armor and the beefiest under-vest.  I go all-defensive perks on them, they're just there to soak up the unavoidable damage.  My set up is two Assaults, each with a Support buddy always within a single move to top them back up.  One Heavy and Sniper to round it out.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: October 16, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »

I love having all of my men on overwatch and then having a thinman drop down behind them. They all turn around and fire at exactly the same time, it's hilarious.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: October 16, 2012, 03:03:49 pm »

I had two guys on overwatch on either side of a double glass door (closed). A third entered the building through the window and revealed two mutons. one of them ran past teh door, causing both my guys to simultaneous bash the door open and shoot the muton in the face, killing it. It was glorious.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: October 16, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »

Also, fuck it, I give up for now. Anyone who can do classic ironman is a lucky son of a bitch.  I just got critted by a sectoid, I was behind high cover, it was a fair distance away and I had hunkered down. Crazy hard.
That should be impossible. Hunkering down behind cover grants immunity to critical hits.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: October 16, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »

The only issue i have with overwatch, is when 2 aliens are running by and all of my guys focus on the same one. I wish the game would simulate the whole thing beforehand and redistribute overwatch fire instead of overkilling 1 alien and ignoring the other.

Other than that, is it just me or is the ghost armor the best all around ? The titan one gives no bonus defense, and the archangel is hard to use, i find. I wish there was more to research after that, but sadly the tech tree seems fairly limited. Research is always one of my favorite things in games :p

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: October 16, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »

I wish there was more to research after that, but sadly the tech tree seems fairly limited. Research is always one of my favorite things in games :p
Agreed. Only played normal and made some mistakes but i still had researched everything before completing the plot building(forgot the name, not the hyperwave) and there was no sidegrade equipment to research or anything.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: October 16, 2012, 04:07:48 pm »

So, has anyone experienced disco boogey music?

I heard what was definitely disco music for a split second when i loaded a mission. Throughout this mission, which I'm still in, I can hear disco music whenever the camera gets close to a muton for an action shot. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's had this happen.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: October 16, 2012, 04:08:38 pm »

So, has anyone experienced disco boogey music?

I heard what was definitely disco music for a split second when i loaded a mission. Throughout this mission, which I'm still in, I can hear disco music whenever the camera gets close to a muton for an action shot. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's had this happen.
Zooming in on some buildings causes you to hear fitting music. Bars play rock music, stuff like that.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: October 16, 2012, 04:08:56 pm »

what's the safest approach to arc throw an enemy?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: October 16, 2012, 04:10:16 pm »

I think that's a feature of some of the maps, some of the buildings have music blurting out. Pretty funny when you end a mission with it audible.

Safest way? Suppression, or surround and overwatch. They shouldn't fire that way, or run off.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: October 16, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

Yay got another decent run on classic Ironman, I did the tutorial after realising the free shit it gives is better than the free starting mission chance to get exp for rookies and so far I have lost 2 rookies (+3 tutorial) and 1 unlucky squaddie who fell victim to aliens teleport patrolling (poor squaddie was the one who stunned two thin men as well).

Got the squad size to 5 which helps keep the casualty rate low with overwhelming firepower and flanking. Not captured the outsider yet because he is one deadly mofo and I want to wait for a medium/large scout ship so I can ambush him more easily and get my sniper with disarm to keep it safe. However I want to try something deadly on this run so wondering if anyone has done this yet.

In the foundry there is the drone capture thing, has anyone used this yet? I want to capture a sectopod but is it going to be one of those things where I have to get it low hp? It's a bitch just getting close to them without dying and a sectopod with 6 hp is going to be useless unless I can repair it afterwards. Maybe I should do my testing on easy or normal mode but then it's just not fun :P

----
The only issue i have with overwatch, is when 2 aliens are running by and all of my guys focus on the same one. I wish the game would simulate the whole thing beforehand and redistribute overwatch fire instead of overkilling 1 alien and ignoring the other.

First come first served....with plasma! Also you only get multiple aliens moving at the same time when they got spotted or move patrol to a location you can see.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 625