Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960567 times)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3705 on: October 15, 2012, 11:40:29 pm »

Heavy Weapons guy with a jetpack. This is a good idea that cannot possibly fail.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: October 16, 2012, 12:06:42 am »

It's now May 11 of my classic runthrough. 2 missions with Mutons so far; the first being on May 4. My heavy satellite build is going amazingly. Currently have 5 deployed, with a third and fourth uplink only 3 and 8 days away, respectively. 3 satellites for the first will be ready in 9 days, with another 2 in 14 days and another 2 in 16 days. So by the second Council assessment, I shall have a total of 12 satellites available and launched. :D

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:43 am »

I've found satellite rushing to be the only really viable tactic early-game to keep from losing member nations and, more importantly, continent bonuses. 

One thing though, might want to spread them out when you deploy them and not deploy them until near the end of the month.  Each one gives a panic reduction when it goes up, so I prefer to keep them on hand until I have a country in orange.  Additionally, if you close out a continent early, it stops being targeted by abductions.  While it sounds good, having your abductions centered only on 3 continents instead of spread out over 5 makes the panic go up much faster in those 3 continents, since you can only respond to one at a time.  Since the countries you don't help gain 2 panic and the rest of the continent gets 1, and a successful mission only mitigates 2 panic in the specific country you helps, it snowballs quick.  For this reason I also hold off on completing story missions until the end of the month because they reduce panic worldwide. 

I considered losing a member nation "game over" and would restart from scratch if it happened.  Took me 4 games to get full satellite coverage, and was probably the hardest part of the game on normal.  Gonna try Classic next =D
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: October 16, 2012, 12:41:05 am »

At this rate, I will have full coverage by mid June; I'm spamming them out so fast none of the nations even get a chance to consider leaving. :P

It is really unfortunate this is the only viable early-game strategy though.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: October 16, 2012, 12:57:15 am »

I was just on a terror mission. 6 Thin Men and 7 Chryssalids. Fucking eh. I lost all but 4 civvies, but no XCom units.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: October 16, 2012, 01:13:41 am »

At this rate, I will have full coverage by mid June; I'm spamming them out so fast none of the nations even get a chance to consider leaving. :P

It is really unfortunate this is the only viable early-game strategy though.

This is a bit of a spoiler, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So you could use that as a way to gain the resources satellites would normally get you, while you focus on something else.

That weird little hypothetical aside, I'm not sure satellite rush is the only way to win.  I mean, a good portion of your early budget will still go into satellites, but you can focus on other things.  My (ongoing) second playthrough on classic ironman, I focused on building up a large squad that couldn't be crippled by a single failure, I entered fights with rookies just to train them (and lost an abduction mission as a result), got the OTC pretty early, and bought carapace armor for the whole squad, while building up satellites at a moderate rate.  I lost four nations from the council, but now beat the aliens every fight handily, have min panic everywhere, and could suffer a TPK and still have majors to throw at the enemy.  Oh, and I have the continent bonus of Asia, Africa, and NA.

My point is, you have two concerns early on: building up your squad, and building your satellite coverage.  And you can lean further towards your squad and still win the campaign.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: October 16, 2012, 01:36:53 am »

I just wish that the game had more depth on the strategic side, it seems barely tacked-on.  The "you can only choose one" abduction missions that cause a net-gain in panic just scream fake difficulty to me. Seems like it's all games these days, though.  Less depth, more flash.  An unfortunate side-effect of video games going mainstream, I guess.

At least there's still Dwarf Fortress.
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: October 16, 2012, 01:44:04 am »

well, I never managed to have a second skyranger in the original (nor the advanced jets) so I can't say, as I was losing terrors missions left and right  :P

I'm just getting into the classic mode, and it looks like that more aliens reduce the impact of strategic planning as you have more income from the gray market but prices aren't scaled back. so it is harder, for the many more enemy and unforgiving rng, but you are better prepared for it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: October 16, 2012, 01:55:16 am »

So, my sniper colonel who has line of sight on my entire squad from the roof of a UFO gets mind controlled, and I can't see the sectoid doing it.  Kill him?  Run away?  Nah... run my medic into the open, in front of a muton elite and two sectoid commanders, then shoot him and the mind controller with a shredder missile from a very strange angle, then have the medic blow the commander away.

No casualties.

Well, that was some weird combination of unlucky and lucky.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: October 16, 2012, 02:03:50 am »

So, apparently the Sectoid is based on the "dover demon"...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:26:49 am by Sergius »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: October 16, 2012, 02:12:43 am »

good game, but I have to start over AGAIN for the 3rd time, due to a stupid bug.
if you send 2 interceptors at the same time, it's gamebreaking.  It causes the game to freeze on the earthview, with no way of exiting out, have to forcequit.

first time I did it I was playing normally, I force quit, re-open game to find out that it doesn't autosave and I didn't save, (was about a month and a half of in-game time played)
so I start a new game, but this time picking the ironman game type, because it says that autosaves that,
so same thing happens, but this time, when I re open the game and load my game, it's right before I kill the last guy at the end of the mission, bam, kill him, then goes back to the screen that you have to forcequit to get out of,

looked online, seems lots of people are having this problem.  And there is no fix for it yet.
it's frustrating/upsetting that i've been playing this game for 4-5 hours and now need to start from the beginning AGAIN.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: October 16, 2012, 02:15:52 am »

How the heck do you even send out two interceptors at all? I've only ever been able to send one. Are you getting multiple UFOs at the same time or something?

Also, the game does have autosave, but you have to enable it in the options.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: October 16, 2012, 02:18:29 am »

you click to send out the interceptor, then you click on the ufo and it re-brings up your interceptor screen then you click on your other interceptor to send it out, so that both of them get sent at the same time.
but don't do this, as it will fuck your shit up.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: October 16, 2012, 02:42:41 am »

Had a crazy hell terror mission, in french tho, send my squad in, first move, chrisalid, right, focus fire take them down, keep going more chrisalid, i keep firing, they are getting closer, and my mens are going low on ammo, one more turn, finish off the closest ones, time to reload, FRACK crhysalid making a run for the civie, Rush my fastest guy to the civie just next to the civie, uncover even more chrysalid... total chrysalid in the mission, 12..... thats without the zombie they made man.... Only lost 3 civie, but last turn due to a frigging guy missing a 80% shot... chrysalid ripped the man who saved the civilian from a certain dead.....

Playing modded classic, man that was a nice mission excelent rating everywhere exept that soldier lost... i will forever remember you nameless dude....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: October 16, 2012, 03:26:28 am »

Decided to start another Classic Ironman game now that I have a better idea how things work. Things were going fine: only a couple of rookie deaths, have a bunch of squaddies, a couple of corporals, and even a sergeant.

Then I got a VIP mission. Best heavy got one-shot by a sectoid from halfway across the map whilst the heavy was in full cover. Most of the team is injured or poisoned. I lose my best support in an INCREDIBLY STUPID MOVE in which I try to outflank a Thin Man, not realizing that in order to get the flanking bonus, I ended up dashing just one single square directly into the Thin Man's line of fire. Both surviving squad members are gravely wounded with just 1 HP each.

That's XCOM, I guess :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 625