Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960623 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3615 on: October 15, 2012, 10:28:51 am »

Have to agree with werdna on stunning, one turn either sprinting close (but still in cover) or moving near and using hunker down (to minimise kill off chances) and having someone else suppress is the best way. Especially if you have the upgraded suppress which does two damage, good way to weaken without the critical chance.

It's also often nice to have at either at least one other person with aim on the target or second stunner to deal with when the first stun fails.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: October 15, 2012, 10:53:46 am »

Another Classic Iron Man success. A moment of silence, please, for those who gave their lives to ensure humanity would be alone in the universe.

Rookies Amani Malhotra (2, 1); Babatunde Jalloh (1, 1); Chris Evans (0, 1); Rosa Garza (0, 1): You were lost too soon, and though we hardly knew you, your sacrifices allowed your companions to succeed.
Squaddies Kong Li (2, 2) and Robert Clark (3, 3): We had great plans for you, but they were not meant to be. If only something could have been done to save you.
Corporal Adele Durand (8, 3): Know that though you did not survive the intensive training program, the loss of your life inspired us to fight harder than ever to combat the alien menace.
Lieutenant Katsume 'Bull' Yoshida (15, 6): Operation Brutal Gaze was aptly named; may you be shot at less in death than you were in life.

Goliath-1, Goliath-2, and Goliath-3: We hope you can take solace in knowing that your sacrifices were instrumental in our learning how best to combat the Ethereal threat.
Lightning-1: We are sorry that the Quartermaster forgot to outfit you with weapons. Your bravery in drawing fire from Muton forces despite this brings a tear to our collective eyes.

And the crew of the final mission (not counting the final mission in kills/missions numbers):

Assault Colonel Elisabeth 'Wolverine' Mulder of Luxembourg, 38 kills across 19 missions: We hoped you would crit that Muton Elite a second time. We apologize for staking your life on this.
Sniper Major Anne 'Cyclops' Petit of France, 22 kills across 9 missions: We are so sorry. We did not think an Uber Ethereal would be waiting for you up there. That was not supposed to happen.
Assault Colonel Ross 'Devil Dog' Butler of America, 43 kills across 19 missions: Your brave choice of trading your own death for the elimination of an Uber Ethereal made our victory possible. You are gone, but not forgotten.
Support Colonel Eric 'Angel' Graham of America, 9 kills across 5 missions: You joined our cause late and left it too early. You fought to the bitter end, weakening an Uber Ethereal enough for your fellows to slay it. You brought out the best in everyone with your steroid-laced smoke grenades.

And finally:
Psionic Support Colonel Matthew 'Pox' Wilson of Britain, 39 kills across 20 missions: You pretty much saved us all, and while I'm not saying if you resisted being mind control in the last room you could have kept most of your squad alive, that is exactly what I'm saying. Nonetheless, you saved the rest of earth so we're calling it square since you're no longer with us to fight back. And yes, we gave you that nickname because we don't trust you with the medkits.
Psionic Heavy Colonel Hugh 'Tank' Ross of Scotland, 36 kills across 14 missions: Thank you for surviving and making it to the Skyranger, to bring us the knowledge that not one of your squad died in vain on Operation Avenger.

http://imgur.com/a/ehCrM#0
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:29 am »

Have to agree with werdna on stunning, one turn either sprinting close (but still in cover) or moving near and using hunker down (to minimise kill off chances) and having someone else suppress is the best way. Especially if you have the upgraded suppress which does two damage, good way to weaken without the critical chance.

It's also often nice to have at either at least one other person with aim on the target or second stunner to deal with when the first stun fails.
Better yet, use a sniper with disabling shot. Most aliens either have just 1 main weapon they will use or 1 main weapon and a piss-poor secondary (like snakemen's poison). A disabling shot will keep them unable to shoot for a turn, and will likely cause them to stand around while they reload.

It also does, at most, 3 damage even with a fully upgraded sniper rifle and sniper, with no crit chance; which means you probably won't kill it. It is also great for getting them down low enough w/o accidentally critting and killing it while simultaneously letting you get in close and keeping it from firing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:29:26 am by alway »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: October 15, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »

Psionic Support Colonel Matthew 'Pox' Wilson of Britain, 39 kills across 20 missions: You pretty much saved us all, and while I'm not saying if you resisted being mind control in the last room you could have kept most of your squad alive, that is exactly what I'm saying. Nonetheless, you saved the rest of earth so we're calling it square since you're no longer with us to fight back. And yes, we gave you that nickname because we don't trust you with the medkits.
Psionic Heavy Colonel Hugh 'Tank' Ross of Scotland, 36 kills across 14 missions: Thank you for surviving and making it to the Skyranger, to bring us the knowledge that not one of your squad died in vain on Operation Avenger.http://imgur.com/a/ehCrM#0
I like how both your psykers were the same class as mine.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: October 15, 2012, 12:29:58 pm »

Finished the game on normal Ironman.

My non-spoily opinion: On the one hand, I'd never even finished a game of the original X-Com, and I've been playing it on and off for the better part of two decades. I'd always gotten to a point where I was handling things easily and it got a bit boring. mind control tended to do that, with its overpowered self. Still, the run up until that point was a lot of fun. On the other, I finished this game in just a few days. My biggest complaint is that it felt too linear. I would say it was too short, but by the time I reached the end, I was starting to get bored. I could have continued, put the end off, but I'd researched everything, basically had my soldiers as kitted out as I wanted them to be. There were probably more UFOs I could have seen, I only saw maybe... 6 different types throughout the whole game, and that's counting the 3 different types of scouts(which actually all seemed very similar except for the scale), but I wasn't going to take the chance, and it definitely seemed like I was doing a hell of a lot more abduction missions than UFO missions, despite having full coverage of the globe.

It is a fun game... and, as others have said, it has its heart in the right place but still has some problems. The combat plays out very well. But the game itself is much more story based than the original and the objectives far too tied into the strategic game. The ending was slightly disappointing, and I don't see much replay value, but that seems par for games these days.

Final spoily question:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:06 pm »

Final spoily question:

I don't remember anything - I think they are just needed for the storyline - once you

So, looking at the config files - I know I saw something yesterday, and I can't find it know.  There was an option about "pause the game when it loses focus" (alt tab).  Now I can't find it - it'd make the tutorial a lot less annoying.  And I'll probably find it now, once I ask.   :P

EDIT:  One interesting thing I did find was this; makes me wonder if the world will "grow".
Code: [Select]
; Country Funding Amounts
FundingAmounts=180 ;USA
FundingAmounts=150 ;Russia
FundingAmounts=100 ;China
FundingAmounts=100 ;UK
FundingAmounts=100 ;Germany
FundingAmounts=80 ;France
FundingAmounts=100 ;Japan
FundingAmounts=60 ;India
FundingAmounts=60 ;Australia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Italy
FundingAmounts=0 ;SouthKorea
FundingAmounts=0 ;Turkey
FundingAmounts=0 ;Indonesia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Spain
FundingAmounts=0 ;Pakistan
FundingAmounts=100 ;Canada
FundingAmounts=0 ;Iran
FundingAmounts=0 ;Israel
FundingAmounts=70 ;Egypt
FundingAmounts=80 ;Brazil
FundingAmounts=70 ;Argentina
FundingAmounts=50 ;Mexico
FundingAmounts=80 ;SouthAfrica
FundingAmounts=0 ;SaudiArabia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Ukraine
FundingAmounts=100 ;Nigeria
FundingAmounts=0 ;Venezuela
FundingAmounts=0 ;Greece
FundingAmounts=0 ;Columbia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Portugal
FundingAmounts=0 ;Sweden
FundingAmounts=0 ;Ireland
FundingAmounts=0 ;Scotland
FundingAmounts=0 ;Norway
FundingAmounts=0 ;Netherlands
FundingAmounts=0 ;Belgium
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:41:22 pm by Urist McSpike »
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: October 15, 2012, 12:46:50 pm »

Final spoily question:

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: October 15, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »

EDIT:  One interesting thing I did find was this; makes me wonder if the world will "grow".
Code: [Select]
; Country Funding Amounts
FundingAmounts=180 ;USA
FundingAmounts=150 ;Russia
FundingAmounts=100 ;China
FundingAmounts=100 ;UK
FundingAmounts=100 ;Germany
FundingAmounts=80 ;France
FundingAmounts=100 ;Japan
FundingAmounts=60 ;India
FundingAmounts=60 ;Australia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Italy
FundingAmounts=0 ;SouthKorea
FundingAmounts=0 ;Turkey
FundingAmounts=0 ;Indonesia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Spain
FundingAmounts=0 ;Pakistan
FundingAmounts=100 ;Canada
FundingAmounts=0 ;Iran
FundingAmounts=0 ;Israel
FundingAmounts=70 ;Egypt
FundingAmounts=80 ;Brazil
FundingAmounts=70 ;Argentina
FundingAmounts=50 ;Mexico
FundingAmounts=80 ;SouthAfrica
FundingAmounts=0 ;SaudiArabia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Ukraine
FundingAmounts=100 ;Nigeria
FundingAmounts=0 ;Venezuela
FundingAmounts=0 ;Greece
FundingAmounts=0 ;Columbia
FundingAmounts=0 ;Portugal
FundingAmounts=0 ;Sweden
FundingAmounts=0 ;Ireland
FundingAmounts=0 ;Scotland
FundingAmounts=0 ;Norway
FundingAmounts=0 ;Netherlands
FundingAmounts=0 ;Belgium
Mods probably and... some of your soldiers can come from those cheap-ass countries.  Considering it, having so many more countries... the abduction/panic system as it is right now could make the game extremely hard.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: October 15, 2012, 01:05:02 pm »

It also makes you realize how unrealistic the accented voice actors thing is, even if it would be cool.  At bare minimum we're still looking at like ten extra voice actors just for men.
Shoes...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3624 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:32 pm »

Even on a AAA title's budget that kind of range in voice acting would be expensive, probably prohibitive, especially just to save a bit of immersion. They could have called for volunteers though, and put any good ones into the game.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:37 pm »

Hah!  Found it!

Steamapps/common/xcom-enemy-unknown/engine/config/baseengine.ini
bPauseOnLossOfFocus=TRUE

Set it to false.  I'm doing the tutorial, and able to alt-tab out during most of the talky bits - just tabbed out after killing the last sectiod on the first mission, and went back to see I can choose the base location.  And I'm right now hearing the Skyranger landing, and the doctors talking.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3626 on: October 15, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »

Hah!  Found it!

bPauseOnLossOfFocus=TRUE

Set it to false.  I'm doing the tutorial, and able to alt-tab out during most of the talky bits - just tabbed out after killing the last sectiod on the first mission, and went back to see I can choose the base location.  And I'm right now hearing the Skyranger landing, and the doctors talking.
Yes. yes. I will do this.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: October 15, 2012, 01:39:47 pm »

Hah!  Found it!

bPauseOnLossOfFocus=TRUE

Yes. yes. I will do this.
Oh HELL yes.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: October 15, 2012, 01:53:41 pm »

Wait, people are doing the tutorial more than once.... why? why would you do this to yourself?

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: October 15, 2012, 01:56:50 pm »

Wait, people are doing the tutorial more than once.... why? why would you do this to yourself?

Because it's not just a tutorial, it's a headstart.  I'm in the middle of the 2nd half of a test right now, but you get extra stuff for doing the tutorial.  1 free satellite for sure, but also extra missions/extra xp, and better starting cash.  I'll post when I'm done.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 625