Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960648 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3570 on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »

II was with a really good squad but they started dying one by one after just a few missions. Just a Heavy Colonel and 2 Snipers captains remain, the rest is squaddies and rookies...  :-\

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: October 14, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »

]My successful run was in South America. The reason was that you need a really successful start to succeed on classic iron man or you're completely boned. So everything I did was to maximize that.

I would take 2 rookies on every mission. Get as many squaddies as I could. All the way till I got the OTS second final level thing where everyone would be a squaddie. This way if anyone dies I still have useful soldiers instead of a handful of crappy morons with no skills.

I rushed to laser weapons before all else. So that means capturing a sectoid for the boost. Getting two labs, etc. I'm not sure how to optimize that but that's what I went for. My rookie survivability rate went through the roof the moment I got those.

Yeah, the death rate killed me, I think.  I took some stupid risks in the earlier missions, and lost guys to it - then had wounded/dead, and was sending out rookie squads.  That's a definite no-go.

I'm doing another run (Classic Ironman), and doing the tutorial.  It's really almost a cheater start instead of going straight into the game... 
Con: Limited to NA or Europe starting base, and all the time spent doing what you're told (and only what you're told) to do.
Pro:  Free squaddie from the first mission, 2nd mission got me two more (and the aliens never hit; might have been the RNG), abduction mission rewards, free satellite, and I've just started the first shot-down UFO mission. Bonus xp from the early missions, and bonus research time & materials from the first couple of missions.

Yes, you do indeed get a free satellite on Classic Ironman from doing the tutorial.  I did not get one on my previous (non-tutorial) Classic Ironman.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: October 14, 2012, 04:53:51 pm »

I'm starting to think Team Floater (3 floaters + 2 heavy floaters) may be OP in multiplayer.  I mean, that's a shitload of hit points the opponent has to chew through, plus crazy mobility, high damage, ten free damage at basically unlimited range (Since elevation increases grenade range), floaters are ridiculously good for their cost.
Shoes...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: October 14, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »

I'm still pretty sure the monthly bonus is bugged. Classic wouldn't be anywhere near as hard if I actually got that 400 or so bonus.

also, I don't know if by chance or bug, when I land in geoscape at  day the mission will be at night, I was starting to considering that each and every mission in this game is at night until I landed in geoscape at night, on a 'dark' zone, and the mission was at day  :o

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: October 14, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »

I'm still pretty sure the monthly bonus is bugged. Classic wouldn't be anywhere near as hard if I actually got that 400 or so bonus.

also, I don't know if by chance or bug, when I land in geoscape at  day the mission will be at night, I was starting to considering that each and every mission in this game is at night until I landed in geoscape at night, on a 'dark' zone, and the mission was at day  :o
Obviously the aliens are changing the lighting of the planet and your map at base is not adjusted to this fact.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: October 14, 2012, 05:20:47 pm »

Could it be that Day/Night is relative to where your base is and adjusts accordingly as to where you send out your dudes? I still have a couple days before I can get this, so this is coming from someone who has yet to see this for himself.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: October 14, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »

Effing bomb runs!   >:(

Anyone know if there's a way to not auto-end your turn?  I ran a guy next to the bomb, but he dashed to get there - and the round auto ended.  Even though you can go back to the guy & click it.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: October 14, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »

Move him first ;)

If I find an actually solution i'll let you know. Time to go trawling through other forums to find an answer.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:03 pm »

Anyone know if there's a way to not auto-end your turn?  I ran a guy next to the bomb, but he dashed to get there - and the round auto ended.  Even though you can go back to the guy & click it.
Had the exact thing happen on my first of those missions. Followed by dashing the maximum distance for all 3 pre-detonation turns and still losing everyone since the distance to the choppa was too great.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: October 14, 2012, 07:51:53 pm »

So, I decided to try impossible mode out of curiousity.

Never. Again.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: October 14, 2012, 07:53:36 pm »

Never. Again.
Same here.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: October 14, 2012, 07:54:25 pm »

Try doing the important life or death decisions at the beginning of your turn. :P

Also, Berserkers are bullshit. I literally shot one down to three health, and tried to stun him at 70% success chance, and Failed. Twice.

Guess I lost three of my best men for nothing. >.>

Never. Again.

Enlighten us with your experience, Taric. :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: October 14, 2012, 07:57:44 pm »

So many sectoids. SO MANY BULLSHIT CRITS.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: October 14, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »

I also tried impossible once.  8 4hp sectoids in the starting mission.  good fucking lord
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: October 14, 2012, 08:36:54 pm »

I also tried impossible once.  8 4hp sectoids in the starting mission.  good fucking lord
Lmao... you'd have to successfully shoot each twice...

So you'd have to perform 16 successful shots and dodge at least 8 return fires. AT LEAST.

Yeah... name is correct. :P
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 625