Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960713 times)

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3555 on: October 14, 2012, 01:58:10 pm »

They do? Strange, I must've misremembered. Still, it's easy to manage panic to a minimum by that point.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: October 14, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:36 pm »

So, looks like someone managed to open up most or all of the Second Wave options. I'll have to check that when I finish my game.
I'm gonna have to try these out! I'm glad some enterprising person managed to find them!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: October 14, 2012, 02:54:56 pm »

Important note for multiplayer:  Trainyard is bullshit.  If you get trainyard, just buy snipers and hide in the corner.  Don't feel bad, the other guy's doing the same thing.

Shoes...

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: October 14, 2012, 02:58:51 pm »

Wow, and my Classic Ironman run is finished - after 92 days.  I lost too many troops, and had to keep sending out rookies - to die.  Even with carapace armor & laser rifles.  I think the pacing on Classic is too fast, from that run - I was getting hit by Mutons just after the first (only) terror mission I had, and everything was hitting often & hard.

I know I made a couple of mistakes early, moving in too fast or leaving troops without enough cover.  The aliens were definitely moving to flank my guys, which resulted in me taking a lot of hits.  Plus, the constant lack of funding early on is pretty harsh.  I almost think they didn't balance the funding well enough - everyone should give you some token money, if they're part of the council, and then more as you put up satellites.

What priorities do you folks go with, on Classic?  I started in Asia (and never used the perk), focused on Engineers & cash rewards early on.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: October 14, 2012, 02:59:12 pm »

Can someone confirm if I don't go ahead with researching the Arc Thrower that the aliens I'll be left with the Thin Man, Sectoids and Floaters until after I've finally moved forward with the story? Or does it not effect it

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: October 14, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »

Can someone confirm if I don't go ahead with researching the Arc Thrower that the aliens I'll be left with the Thin Man, Sectoids and Floaters until after I've finally moved forward with the story? Or does it not effect it

I'm pretty sure that the story will cause stronger aliens to spawn, but only if you haven't encountered them yet. Better aliens will start appearing if you just twiddle your thumbs though, and the Arc Thrower is very important, so you have no reason not to research it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: October 14, 2012, 03:09:02 pm »

From what I've seen, the game progresses up to Cryssalids, Mutons, and Cyberdisks even if you haven't captured the first sectoid. Dunno about the arc thrower, but my guess is it will continue up to that point even without it. Not sure if it progresses past those critters w/o continuing the story though. Some of the story will force the most advanced units on you though; a sort of 'tit for tat' escalation is what it is explained as. Though I don't know if that escalation will occur w/o story or not (as my non-story game was a game over before getting anything more advanced than a cyberdisk). So you might be able to slow down the later stages of escalation, but the early stages seem to go regardless of story, up to the Mutons, Crysallids, and Cyberdisks. With story-based escalation, not to give too much away, things escalate after missions which are generally big events, and as such it's pretty easy to spot where they will occur and stop doing story things until you are ready.

Also, capturing aliens is really good for you.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:10:37 pm by alway »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: October 14, 2012, 03:11:52 pm »

From what I've seen, the game progresses up to Cryssalids, Mutons, and Cyberdisks even if you haven't captured the first sectoid. Dunno about the arc thrower, but my guess is it will continue up to that point even without it. Not sure if it progresses past those critters w/o continuing the story though. Some of the story will force the most advanced units on you though; a sort of 'tit for tat' escalation is what it is explained as. Though I don't know if that escalation will occur w/o story or not (as my non-story game was a game over before getting anything more advanced than a cyberdisk). So you might be able to slow down the later stages of escalation, but the early stages seem to go regardless of story, up to the Mutons, Crysallids, and Cyberdisks. With story-based escalation, not to give too much away, things escalate after missions which are generally big events, and as such it's pretty easy to spot where they will occur and stop doing story things until you are ready.

The game will progress no matter what. Doing the story missions will just make it go faster. So if you're feeling pressured, then hold off on the story. If you're feeling awesome and are rearing to go, then you do the story missions. It's simple, really.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: October 14, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

Wow, and my Classic Ironman run is finished - after 92 days.  I lost too many troops, and had to keep sending out rookies - to die.  Even with carapace armor & laser rifles.  I think the pacing on Classic is too fast, from that run - I was getting hit by Mutons just after the first (only) terror mission I had, and everything was hitting often & hard.

I know I made a couple of mistakes early, moving in too fast or leaving troops without enough cover.  The aliens were definitely moving to flank my guys, which resulted in me taking a lot of hits.  Plus, the constant lack of funding early on is pretty harsh.  I almost think they didn't balance the funding well enough - everyone should give you some token money, if they're part of the council, and then more as you put up satellites.

What priorities do you folks go with, on Classic?  I started in Asia (and never used the perk), focused on Engineers & cash rewards early on.
My successful run was in South America. The reason was that you need a really successful start to succeed on classic iron man or you're completely boned. So everything I did was to maximize that.

I would take 2 rookies on every mission. Get as many squaddies as I could. All the way till I got the OTS second final level thing where everyone would be a squaddie. This way if anyone dies I still have useful soldiers instead of a handful of crappy morons with no skills.

I rushed to laser weapons before all else. So that means capturing a sectoid for the boost. Getting two labs, etc. I'm not sure how to optimize that but that's what I went for. My rookie survivability rate went through the roof the moment I got those.

I never bothered with Shivs. They died too easily and couldn't take cover. Good distractions though, but really expensive for just a distraction.

Then just try to do very well in missions I suppose, though I guess that should come naturally. Be super duper cautious. Never use shotguns, since you'll end up dying. Never go close range, since you'll end up dying. Proceed at a snail's pace and use hunker down liberally. If you think the enemy has a good chance of shooting you, grenade him or smoke yourself. Even if it's just a shitty sectoid. If you see an enemy and the probability of success is lower than 60%... hunker down. If you see an enemy and he can see you, don't overwatch. Hunker down. Never risk it. Ever. That's the hardest thing to overcome. You'll need to do that to stand a chance of success. It's really boring, but that's how careful you have to be. Once you get super armour and your units can survive more than two shots then you can be a bit more relaxed.

Oh yeah, I think the most important skill I learnt was running away. See a new alien group? Everyone run the fuck away back to spawn! Run run run! My guy got critted and he's at 3 hp? Run the fuck awaaaaaaaaaaaay!

But really, it's all about getting a great start and levelling as many guys as possible. It normally took me about an hour just to finish one mission when I started. Hope that helps.

Tl;dr:
1. Get as many levels on as many soldiers as you can. If you run out of squaddies it's game over.
2. Get better guns.
3. Take forever to do a mission. Always be cautious. Never take risks.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: October 14, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »

Also I can definitely confirm that people gain ranks just by being in the mission, my support healer/smoker went his first 7 missions without a single kill and was still rank 3 or 4.  Either that or taking random pot-shots at things, healing people, and using smoke all gives fairly good exp.
Nom nom nom

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: October 14, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »

(while on normal/ironman)
so, I got to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

then I had those two veteran wounded... I thought that I could wait a couple days to get them back, but abduction happened. after a very hard fight, with a single wave of 4 mutons and 6 floaters, I had three veterans down and another critically wounded.

the sniper lived, and got promotions and the best equipment I got.

but now I had nothing available for to the mission. and so I went, with the sniper and four rookies.

it went quite well, just one rookie got killed by chrysalid bullshit-turn (two, when spotted, bullrushed the rookie during my turn)

now I feel really bad for that rookie, I even had a commemorative poster of the squad to be posted in the event of success...

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: October 14, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

I'm currently coasting to victory in my ironman classic game (A-team of Col/Majs with plasma, no deaths in the past 100 days, only one nation lost).

Getting satellites up early is the most important thing.  You'll want one satellite in the first month, another uplink at the end of the second and third months, and a nexus in the forth.  Order your satellites 20+ days before the council report and use them to reclaim any panicking nations.  Balance abductions between getting engineers and keeping nations from panicking.  Knowing what you're going to need an what you can sell on the gray market is essential towards making ends meet.

For tactics, numbers are the most important thing.  Move slowly and overwatch constantly.  You can minimize the effects of bad luck with overwhelming numbers, but if you're outnumbered someone is probably going to die.  I went with Asia to get the officer school discounts.  Snipers are the easiest unit to get to colonel and are essential for evening the odds.

They may not be the best, but these are the builds I like to use:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, grenades and rockets are the only guaranteed way to kill aliens on the first few missions, so fuck Dr. Vahlen.  Leveling up your troops is more important than a couple of weapon fragments.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: October 14, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »

this game suffer of need for speeding sindrome, or rubber banding.

I got in a mission with just three squaddies, because I had ton of people in medbay, and I got just 6 thin mens

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: October 14, 2012, 04:37:19 pm »

I'm still pretty sure the monthly bonus is bugged. Classic wouldn't be anywhere near as hard if I actually got that 400 or so bonus.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 625