Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960746 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3495 on: October 13, 2012, 11:46:19 pm »

SHIV Squad works surprisingly well on easy. The basic SHIV has enough firepower to obliterate most early enemies but have trouble against Mutons, since the minigun can't kill Mutons in one hit and the SHIV can only take two blasts of plasma before it dies. Unfortunately the alloy SHIVs can't spawn with a minigun, so until you can get SHIV lasers Mutons are going to be painful. Suppressive Fire is a godsend though, since it'll reduce their accuracy by... 30 percent? 20? It's a large enough penalty that they'll sometimes just go with overwatch. That much I do know.

Once I practice my tactics (and XCOM gets some more patches), I'll jump up to normal to see how SHIV Squad does there. Hopefully they'll be awesome, because everything is going fine right now (even if I lost two brave SHIVs). I'm kinda wondering why you can't rename SHIVs though, since all of the soldiers get tons of customization. Damn meatbags and their anti-robotic bias...

I'm starting to think that the Grey Market is the key to these Classic runs. A month is much to long to wait for Council funding. When exactly do all of these items become useless? The biggest example I'm looking at is alien corpses. I only need those for Autopsies correct?

Some Foundry techs need alien corpses, certain manufacturable items will need dead aliens too (the interceptor boosts and the combat drugs come to mind), and occasionally you'll get a request from some nation for a bunch of corpses. So you shouldn't sell all of your corpses. Maybe leave... eight corpses, more if you need them to manufacture an important item.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 14, 2012, 12:04:42 am »

alway, that's great. Makes me wonder when the first x-com Machinima is going to come out. :P

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 14, 2012, 12:13:21 am »

To those that don't want to ruin their Ironman games:

Do not launch multiple interceptors against a single UFO, it will cause the game to glitch out big time and you will be stuck in the Geoscape forever.  :(

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 14, 2012, 12:15:32 am »

Is it me...  or when I send interceptors and they are forced to retreat... the ship is healed?  (Sending 2 avalanche missile interceptors against a large in classic, do I need a 3rd?)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3499 on: October 14, 2012, 12:17:44 am »

Do not launch multiple interceptors against a single UFO, it will cause the game to glitch out big time and you will be stuck in the Geoscape forever.  :(
You can launch multiple interceptors at a single UFO?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: October 14, 2012, 12:25:12 am »

I'm doing a video LP of this and I have a horrible accent, but whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIrmXW1vlxM

I figured I'd post this here since it's not quite worth of a thread.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: October 14, 2012, 12:37:11 am »

You can launch multiple interceptors at a single UFO?

Yeah, it wouldn't let me launch more than one at a time. If I want to switch them out I actually have to wait for the first to return.(I always have them abort before they die, although I've cut it really close a few times and probably got lucky.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:39:04 am by sluissa »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: October 14, 2012, 12:39:24 am »

Should upgrade you videos to 720p at least, anything lower on LPs are horrible
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: October 14, 2012, 12:47:12 am »

I watch LPs frequently at 480p on the Large Player and I find nothing wrong with it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: October 14, 2012, 01:22:57 am »

Should upgrade you videos to 720p at least, anything lower on LPs are horrible
I don't know, I personally watch 360p all the time, even though my connection is good enough for HD.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: October 14, 2012, 01:25:53 am »

For some creatures I feel like the requirement makes little sense.

Sectoids make sense because you are using their implants they have in their body destroying it in the process (or at least turning it into goo).

Others though not so much.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: October 14, 2012, 01:35:33 am »

I watch LPs frequently at 480p on the Large Player and I find nothing wrong with it.
Or yewah 480 at the very least, 360 make it so blurry you can barely read anything. Myself i upload at 720p minimum.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: October 14, 2012, 01:48:26 am »

I have a horrible accent, but whatever.

I love the accent, though the constant breathing into the mic is a bit annoying. :P

I'd watch your LPs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: October 14, 2012, 01:54:59 am »

On the topic of the gray market... am I the only one who's a little suspicious of the council members wanting alien corpses?  I mean, maybe they just want them as trophies or they think some of the aliens' body parts contain useful materials, or they want them for relatively innocent research projects like testing the effects weapons have on the corpses.  And that would be fine.

But when someone asks for 8 crysalid corpses, I get a little suspicious.  Nothing about crysalids is really worth imitating.  Mutons have great armor, robots could be useful for a variety of things, floaters have advanced propulsion systems, ect.  But all crysalids are really good at is turning humans into zombies and causing widespread terror and death.  I have a vague suspicion that they're trying to reproduce or otherwise weaponize crysalids, which just couldn't end well.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: October 14, 2012, 01:58:05 am »

The Crysalids shells have impressive shock absorbing ability far beyond anything we have on earth.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 625