Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960763 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3480 on: October 13, 2012, 09:12:29 pm »

Here's something interesting.

One of the multiplayer tips discusses tips for using a sectopod's artillery attack.  Is the lack of sectopods in multiplayer an oversight?
Shoes...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: October 13, 2012, 09:14:27 pm »

One of the multiplayer tips discusses tips for using a sectopod's artillery attack.  Is the lack of sectopods in multiplayer an oversight?

Either that or the tip thay forgot to delete bofere releasing the game.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: October 13, 2012, 09:16:15 pm »

Has anyone actually manufactured guns? I just manufacture the snipers and shotguns and give everyone else light plasma. The accuracy bonus makes those things better than normal plasma.

Oh yeah, Alloy Cannons.  Seriously - give one to every Assaut you'll use.  Those things are amazing.  Basically, a rail gun, shooting a slug of alien alloy for up to 10 damage.  Pretty good crit rating on it too, I think.  Other than that, I did make some weapons as I went up, mostly sniper rifles, but I was capturing enough Plasma Rifles (regular, not light) to give to everyone.  I even mostly had the Assaults with rifles, instead of shotguns, for a large part of the game.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: October 13, 2012, 09:23:56 pm »

Either that or the tip thay forgot to delete bofere releasing the game.

I other news I've started my all-SHIV easy-mode game. Two months in, and I'm already ready to start production. The only problem so far is that the game seems to crash more for me after the latest patch. Something like... a crash an hour compared to a crash for every three hours or something. At least the error handling is much better, so I no longer need to use task manager after the game crashes. That's a small mercy though.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: October 13, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »

Using a resource hacker, I made it so that soldiers have a 100% chance of having the psionic gift, but you can only test 1 at a time, and it takes 20 days instead.

now to play a complete runthrough like this.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3485 on: October 13, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »

Oh yeah, Alloy Cannons.
Why have I never heard of this weapon?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: October 13, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »

Has anyone actually manufactured guns? I just manufacture the snipers and shotguns and give everyone else light plasma. The accuracy bonus makes those things better than normal plasma.

Oh yeah, Alloy Cannons.  Seriously - give one to every Assaut you'll use.  Those things are amazing.  Basically, a rail gun, shooting a slug of alien alloy for up to 10 damage.  Pretty good crit rating on it too, I think.  Other than that, I did make some weapons as I went up, mostly sniper rifles, but I was capturing enough Plasma Rifles (regular, not light) to give to everyone.  I even mostly had the Assaults with rifles, instead of shotguns, for a large part of the game.
I would use them if they weren't almost melee range. :P

If for some reason my assault runs into melee and say... there's a muton berserker behind a wall. Or a cyberdisk. Or three thin men. He's boned and no one will be able to save him. I won't doubt it's effectiveness. But my insane levels of risk aversion during my iron man run made me avoid anything with even a modicum of risk.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: October 13, 2012, 09:42:08 pm »

Naw assault with double shot, an alloy cannon and like a plasma pistol back-up are amazing flankers.  Plus the range for like 70-80 accuracy is what, 10 tiles? more maybe?  hell thats as close as you spot things in some ships.  Also crysalids, they get raped by alloy cannons
Nom nom nom

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3488 on: October 13, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »

If for some reason my assault runs into melee and say... there's a muton berserker behind a wall. Or a cyberdisk. Or three thin men. He's boned and no one will be able to save him.
Do shotguns not function the same way? I generally put them to good use with rapid fire, but I know I'd never toss any soldier, even an Assault, into a building without first blowing out some walls and making sure it was clear.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: October 13, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »

Well.. I had a very interesting first ever MP match.

10,000 cost normal match. Loads up. Giant building in the middle. I go inside. My dear opponent is sitting in there with 5 cyberdisks.

=|

Not to mention half the time my units wouldn't even respond to my orders. Not that it mattered, since I died in about 2 turns. Can't say I'll venture into it again after that.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: October 13, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »

My assualts have always used shotguns, run and gun and shotgun killed so damm many aliens

Plus when it came foward they both had psi gifts

You have mindflay for long range
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: October 13, 2012, 10:25:14 pm »

I would use them if they weren't almost melee range. :P

No, the Alloy Cannon is a Medium ranged weapon, with 20% crit.  It's also the top end "shotgun" type of weapon that you can make.  I can't remember what research gave it, but it was after I was hitting Muton Berserkers, maybe the Elites.

EDIT:
If for some reason my assault runs into melee and say... there's a muton berserker behind a wall. Or a cyberdisk. Or three thin men. He's boned and no one will be able to save him.
Do shotguns not function the same way? I generally put them to good use with rapid fire, but I know I'd never toss any soldier, even an Assault, into a building without first blowing out some walls and making sure it was clear.

Same way as what?  I use my Assaults to open doors - get close enough so I can step in (or open) with the first move, and if need, Run & Gun back into cover to set up Overwatch.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:27:48 pm by Urist McSpike »
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Premier Camping Simulator
« Reply #3492 on: October 13, 2012, 10:45:04 pm »

XCOM GOES CAMPING! :D

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: October 13, 2012, 11:30:19 pm »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3494 on: October 13, 2012, 11:42:43 pm »

Same way as what?  I use my Assaults to open doors - get close enough so I can step in (or open) with the first move, and if need, Run & Gun back into cover to set up Overwatch.
'Do shotguns not function the same way as an Alloy Cannon', was the question, and the answer is yes. On Assaults, I usually move in with them at the front to get the aliens attention, then when they (the aliens) move up, I drop Shredder missiles on them with my Heavies before using Run and Gun to get some 100% kills or Rapid Fire kills, then mop up the rest with Head-Shots from my snipers. Of course, its never nearly as clean as that sounds.

I'm starting to think that the Grey Market is the key to these Classic runs. A month is much to long to wait for Council funding. When exactly do all of these items become useless? The biggest example I'm looking at is alien corpses. I only need those for Autopsies, correct?
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 625