Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960873 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3300 on: October 12, 2012, 07:49:48 pm »

What the heck? Can aliens kill themselves? Because I just had a Heavy Floater die outside of my line of sight (or at least I think so, because of things breaking into fragments). Nobody shot at it. It just plain... died.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: October 12, 2012, 07:50:02 pm »

Spoiler: Socks (click to show/hide)

He's Scottish.  As if the name "Wallace" wasn't a dead enough giveaway, that is...

So, two Brits and a Scotsman.  Biased are we?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: October 12, 2012, 07:50:59 pm »

He's Scottish.  As if the name "Wallace" wasn't a dead enough giveaway, that is...

Heeey. If I were biased, I'd make the entire squad American, thank you very much :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: October 12, 2012, 07:56:55 pm »

Also, wow, the gift of Psionics is really really rare. Most of my elite soldiers don't have it, only "Angel" that I mentioned a while ago does. Now I'm starting to test the untrained new recruits. What about you guys? How many out of all your soldiers have Psionics?

I tested around 10 soldiers (most of them top-end ranks) and only my original sniper awakened. Didn't really need more than her at least.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: October 12, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »

Heeey. If I were biased, I'd make the entire squad American, thank you very much :P

They already are.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: October 12, 2012, 08:12:34 pm »

They already are.
Just the voices, and you can turn those off.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3306 on: October 12, 2012, 08:31:51 pm »

Well, people certainly weren't kidding when they said an elite sniper was amazing. I'm feeling bad about playing on Normal... it's still a little too easy.

Still, I've had a few close calls already, with one or two deaths. I'm having a hard time getting more money, which I seem to need for upgrades and better weapons. I am waiting for the Satellite Nexus, which should be awesome.

By the way, is there a way to sell plasma or laser weapons? I'm transitioning into plasma and the laser stuff is kinda just there.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: October 12, 2012, 08:32:57 pm »

If you feel bad, you could always up the difficulty.

Anyway, besides requests, I don't think you can 'sell' any items you make.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »

Nations will sometimes contact you and ask if you would please sell them laser weapons (I've never seen them ask for plasma). I think that's about it, though.

Semi-ninja by Tarran.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: October 12, 2012, 09:08:55 pm »

Nations will sometimes contact you and ask if you would please sell them laser weapons (I've never seen them ask for plasma). I think that's about it, though.

Semi-ninja by Tarran.

I've had plasma requests 3 times. Two times for 4x pistols, offering ~$800(!). Once for 4x light plasma rifles, offering ~$1000(!!).

Also, first win! On Normal, mind you, so it wasn't a terrible challenge. Savescummed a couple of times - once, because a Sectopod teleported halfway across a UFO (leaving its Drones behind) to a position flanking me. I figure game glitches are a suitable reason to reload a save, but fore the most part I avoided scumming.  ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3310 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »

Gather 'round kiddies, time for a story of a good ol' XCOM "OH SHIT" moment.

Couple dozen missions in on normal. Lost a handful of dudes, everything's still going fine though. Splashed a UFO, go in, siege the thing for a little bit so we can deal with any defenders that are outside the UFO. All goes well, take a couple hits but it's nothing serious, everything not human that was outside the UFO is killed to death. Hear noise in a corner of the UFO, so i send the squad in from two angles through the UFO and find the remaining aliens.

Suddenly three Mutons, try to move guys into better position, Mutons getting some potshots. Move a guy in room in center of the UFO (small little room with two doors. It's opposite the elevated area where
Spoiler: the Outsider (click to show/hide)
), two
Spoiler: Sectoid (click to show/hide)
are waiting in there, so he's right there in the room with them and there's still the Mutons just outside. Suffice it to say he gets
and the guy i sent in to cover him gets killed. A Muton take out another couple of my guys with a single goddamn grenade, and the
kills one as well.

All i've got left is my sniper (who's the highest-ranking soldier i have, probably because he has that Guile-style hair from the original XCOM due to me preordering this. With hair like that, how can you possibly fail?) who i had on overwatch outside the UFO in case any aliens tried to sneak around. I start running his ass back to the Skyranger before the whole clusterfuck reaches him too. There was a friggin Muton looking right behind him on the hill above, so it got a shot off and then my sniper took him out. Another Muton came out of the UFO, took a shot that missed, and then the game crashed.

Good news is i have a legitimate reason to save-scum this one time since the game crashed. Bad news is my last save was hours ago. FUCK.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:59:01 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: October 12, 2012, 09:46:34 pm »

Wow. Usually I would feel bad about savescumming, but this time the game screwed me out of a 95% chance when trying to stun, resulting in the death of one of my best soldiers. Even with the gravely-wounded officer school promotion, and him being in Titan armor and at full health the previous turn. :|

Really, I would accept a loss if it wasn't due to a failed 95% stun. Goddamn RNG.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »

I don't know if Sirius is also playing on classic iron man, but I'm about to win myself! Oh god! So intense!

There really needs to be an achievement for this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: October 12, 2012, 09:57:09 pm »

There is, it's called "No Looking Back".

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: October 12, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »

Wow. Usually I would feel bad about savescumming, but this time the game screwed me out of a 95% chance when trying to stun, resulting in the death of one of my best soldiers. Even with the gravely-wounded officer school promotion, and him being in Titan armor and at full health the previous turn. :|

Really, I would accept a loss if it wasn't due to a failed 95% stun. Goddamn RNG.

Dude, you handed your best soldier the cattle prod?  That's on you, man.  :)  Carrying 'Old Sparkie' is a long time initiation rite for X-Com rookies! 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 625