Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960891 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3270 on: October 12, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »

Any tips for the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
?
Please tell me that you could actually do a mission like that. I'm not talking about winning, I'm just talking about the game allowing you to do a full-SHIV squad.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #3271 on: October 12, 2012, 04:01:55 pm »

Hi all. I've recently started a new Let's Play series for this game. I had to wait for it to unlock in the UK... stayed up till about 4 AM playing it lol.

I hadn't played much of the game prior to deciding to start a new game and record, so most of the game experience will be new to me (though the franchise itself, the original, I'm quite familiar with.)

If anyone has time to watch the videos, the playlist can be found here, and the first (and currently only) video can be found here. I'd warmly welcome any comments or critique :)

On a side note, I think they've been really brave with some of their choices in how to tweak the classic X-COM formula. Obviously lot's of people have different opinions on whether they've succeeded in improving on the original or not, but I'm still impressed they were willing to try, if nothing else :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: October 12, 2012, 04:08:49 pm »

Because the Etherials don't have a body exactly. They don't have nerves or muscles to overwhelm.

They are the equivilant of a Forcefield generator projecting a humanoid form.
No ethereals definitely have a physical body, you might be thinking about an outsider though

It is definately the one that stuns

Which is the Etherial.
Noooo, I'm pretty sure the one that turns into a crystal is the Outsider. I have an Ethereal corpse being dissected right now.

Speaking of, the mission went fine. I accidentally killed the Ethereal with a flushing shot (it critted on a 10% chance, damn it), but we took no losses.
What you are thinking of most definitely is an outsider, aka early ships captains and/or the crystal guys.  Considering the mission to capture one is called 'Capture an Outsider'.  For that matter CAN you stun etherials?  They seem so op that they might not be stunnable.

Also can you stun crysalids?
Yes to both. It's difficult and might require the advanced arc thrower, but it's entirely possible.

So for a change of direction, how does everyone customize their squads? For me, I do it by rank:
  • Rookies get a red-tinted armor...that's it.
  • Squaddies go back to the default armor color.
  • Corporals get a custom armor color.
  • Sergeants get their nickname, and I usually change it based on their job/nationality/whatever I feel like.
  • Next rank up gets to use the second armor pattern.
  • From then on, not much happens until they get to Colonel. Once that happens, they get a helmet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: October 12, 2012, 04:16:24 pm »

So for a change of direction, how does everyone customize their squads? For me, I do it by rank:
  • Rookies get a red-tinted armor...that's it.
  • Squaddies go back to the default armor color.
  • Corporals get a custom armor color.
  • Sergeants get their nickname, and I usually change it based on their job/nationality/whatever I feel like.
  • Next rank up gets to use the second armor pattern.
  • From then on, not much happens until they get to Colonel. Once that happens, they get a helmet.

My squads are organized based on soldier class. Assaults get red, Heavies blue, Snipers yellow and Supports green. My Psionic-capable soldiers are currently wearing purple, but I mind change that later, depending on how many psionic-guys I get. Oh, and rookies get white stormtrooper armour, though sans-helmets so that I don't mess up their hair. :P

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: October 12, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »

I don't use customize at all, except that I make my psykers red.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: October 12, 2012, 04:25:01 pm »

I like it so far; deaths are swift and merciless, graphics are not that much in the way of gaming flow,

but grenade aiming is awful with the mouse

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: October 12, 2012, 04:25:17 pm »

Well, for my current play-through I've been giving all Rookies a helm and using a Tan scheme. Fits the rifles they start with.

Depending on how well I've been doing Squaddies are either left Tan or placed into a Squad with a color scheme. Back when I had two full squads only the Corporals and above got the color scheme, but with my recent losses I've been reduced to just squaddies and rookies, so the squaddies that live get to be in my Black Squad.

I'll probably change things around for the next playthrough, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: October 12, 2012, 04:26:28 pm »

I do it by class: (no helmets)
  • Heavy - (Deco 2, Tint 27) olive green heavy armor
  • Assault - (Deco 2, Tint 18) (Iron Man) red heavy armor over yellow jumpsuit
  • Sniper - (Deco 1, Tint 19) blue light armor over orange/brown jumpsuit
  • Support - (Deco 1, Tint 28) ice blue light armor over white jumpsuit
  • Rookies - default tan, light armor
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: October 12, 2012, 04:26:46 pm »

I ask my friends what they want their soldier to look like and what equipment they want and I generally just use that.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: October 12, 2012, 04:28:15 pm »

Please tell me that you could actually do a mission like that. I'm not talking about winning, I'm just talking about the game allowing you to do a full-SHIV squad.
yes, you can, although the mission briefing is a bit bugged since it will show only 3 shivs with no guns and skips the skyranger landing sequence, i actually did this:
but forgot ethereals explodes on death but only 5 damage, but overall...it works well since you throw all 6 on overwatch(they can regular move what most soldiers can dash) and instagib a single enemy on sight then just rush the other 2 and murder them
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: October 12, 2012, 04:30:16 pm »

Rookies get the default armor, once someone becomes a squaddie they get unique armor and possibly a helmet.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: October 12, 2012, 04:33:21 pm »

Sectopod why you so shooty
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: October 12, 2012, 04:39:24 pm »

yes, you can, although the mission briefing is a bit bugged since it will show only 3 shivs with no guns and skips the skyranger landing sequence, i actually did this:
but forgot ethereals explodes on death but only 5 damage, but overall...it works well since you throw all 6 on overwatch(they can regular move what most soldiers can dash) and instagib a single enemy on sight then just rush the other 2 and murder them

I think that I'm going to start a campaign on easy, and just try to go full SHIV as soon as possible. That seems awesome.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »

So for a change of direction, how does everyone customize their squads?
I do it by class.

Rookie: White armor (#29?), Deco 1, helmet with the side light (head/helmet 13?).
Assault: Dark red armor (#6? #7), Deco 2, tall helmet (head/helmet 14?).
Support: Pale white armor (#28?), Deco 1, tall helmet (head/helmet 14?).
Sniper: Green armor (#3?), Deco 1, helmet with the side light (head/helmet 13?).
Heavy: Yellow armor (#7? #8?), Deco 2, stubby helmet (head/helmet 15?).

Also, can someone tell me how a giant robot (I presume a Sectopod) can go through a UFO door without deactivating the field? Because I was just ambushed by one that I had found earlier that somehow managed to go through a door and hide behind a wall without opening it.

I didn't lose anyone, but someone got critically wounded.

Edit: And now Mutons are running through! What the heck, do the doors have some sort of "OMG XCOM TURN OFF FOREVER OMG" switch or something?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:51:28 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: October 12, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »

I think that I'm going to start a campaign on easy, and just try to go full SHIV as soon as possible. That seems awesome.
end game spoiler

oh, get this...allloy shivs can be used as low cover for soldiers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:50:32 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 625