Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960895 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3255 on: October 12, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

I wish the game gave me ANY indication of why the stunner worked on the Etherials.

When they first asked me to stun one I was like "What?"

They are an energy being... the BEST I can come up with is the electric current interferes with their signal
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:57:17 pm by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: October 12, 2012, 02:57:28 pm »

I wish the game gave me ANY indication of why the stunner worked on the Etherials.

Why wouldn't the stunner work on them? It works on all other non-robotic enemies.

@ Zangi: I have smoke grenades and the arc thrower...that's about it, really. I think I may be screwed :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: October 12, 2012, 02:59:07 pm »

Because the Etherials don't have a body exactly. They don't have nerves or muscles to overwhelm.

They are the equivilant of a Forcefield generator projecting a humanoid form.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: October 12, 2012, 02:59:20 pm »

Finally got the game and had some time to play. I have tried to avoid this thread as much as possible since the release so pardon me if I happen to repeat stuff people have already said.

I started a Classic Iron Man game in Europe and damn do I love this. The demo had left a slightly sour taste in my mouth but the game is ridiculously fun and intense. In fact, other than Dark Souls I have not felt so at the edge of my seat as I do in this game for a long long time.

I almost fucked up royally on the very first mission by doing some stupid move orders, and the game punished me dearly for it. In fact it was but for the grace of Cthulhu that I managed not to lose anyone on that mission.
Mostly it has been going well though, I have lost a couple of soldiers so far and am having a hard time keeping my support soldiers for some reason. They seem to be some kind of plasma magnets.

My most scary experience so far was my first civilian extraction, I got to the girl just fine but when I was going back I met my first complaint about the full game, Deep Striking thinmen... damn they are fucking dangerous. It didn't help that the map I was on was really lacking full cover areas. I lost three of my four soldiers in that run and was only just able to rush my heavy up to it for a 100% hit rate (it had just used it's turn to kill my support so no overwatch.) and the next turn I was able to bum rush the civvie to the skyranger.

I also encountered a "being made out of pure energy" which instantly made me think ethereal but I seriously doubt I would meet those before I even had my first terror mission so they will require further investigation. I got ridiculously lucky and managed to get it killed in the turn it spawned since I had some good position and arcs of fire set up before spotting it.

My only other complaint at this time is that the to-hit chances seem a bit... silly at times. Especially at close range. But then again the original x-com wasn't really any better at that either hah.

Phew, time for a break to reduce my stress level a bit before I continue.

EDIT: Also damn myself for not getting the arc thrower as soon as it was available, I have had oppurtunities to stun both a thin man and two sectoids so far. According to Murphy's Law I will obviously not get those as easily once I actually have them :p

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: October 12, 2012, 03:01:15 pm »

What with the Ethereals and all, seems to me to be a bit more than coincidence.
Well, Ethereals were in the first game too (and I drew my own parallels to WH40k in another thread, on just such a subject).  But it's also worth noting that the Tau were one of the few species without a presence in the Warp, and thus didn't have any psykers.  So exactly how well it matches up is another matter.

This game does seem to enjoy its references though, so I wouldn't be too surprised if you were on to something there.

Temporarily slipped my mind that these games had their own Ethereals. I was simply referring to the Ethereal Tau caste. But hey, that pretty much solidifies it!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: October 12, 2012, 03:02:16 pm »

Because the Etherials don't have a body exactly. They don't have nerves or muscles to overwhelm.

No ethereals definitely have a physical body, you might be thinking about an outsider though
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: October 12, 2012, 03:04:14 pm »

No ethereals definitely have a physical body, you might be thinking about an outsider though

It is definately the one that stuns

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is the Etherial.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:08:21 pm by Neonivek »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09:30 pm »

Hah, I always check if things are stunnable or not.  They'll get a circle around em if you have the Arc Thrower equipped on the guy.  First time I met the Reds, for some reason, the UI didn't allow me to stun em, but shot 1 of em up and the next one had the option to stun.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: October 12, 2012, 03:10:26 pm »

Hah, I always check if things are stunnable or not.  They'll get a circle around em if you have the Arc Thrower equipped on the guy.  First time I met the Reds, for some reason, the UI didn't allow me to stun em, but shot 1 of em up and the next one had the option to stun.

Ohh I knew they could be stunned... I just didn't know why they could be stunned.

This is like if all of a sudden you could stun a rock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: October 12, 2012, 03:12:49 pm »

Which is the Etherial.
Noooo, I'm pretty sure the one that turns into a crystal is the Outsider. I have an Ethereal corpse being dissected right now.

Speaking of, the mission went fine. I accidentally killed the Ethereal with a flushing shot (it critted on a 10% chance, damn it), but we took no losses.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: October 12, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »

Any tips for the
?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: October 12, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »

Any tips for the
?
I actually have not done any SHIV research...at all :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: October 12, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »

SHIVs are nice, I am serious!

I honestly expected them to be Garbage (Since... they weren't exactly good in the original... outside rocket tanks)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: October 12, 2012, 03:35:51 pm »

finally I got home and I can play it  :o

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:14 pm »

Which is the Etherial.
Noooo, I'm pretty sure the one that turns into a crystal is the Outsider. I have an Ethereal corpse being dissected right now.

Speaking of, the mission went fine. I accidentally killed the Ethereal with a flushing shot (it critted on a 10% chance, damn it), but we took no losses.
What you are thinking of most definitely is an outsider, aka early ships captains and/or the crystal guys.  Considering the mission to capture one is called 'Capture an Outsider'.  For that matter CAN you stun etherials?  They seem so op that they might not be stunnable.

Also can you stun crysalids?
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 625