Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960952 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3180 on: October 12, 2012, 08:25:47 am »

See, when I used the "key" I hadn't even built a foundry and my guys had standard armor + laser rifles, my heavy was still using a standard machine gun, and I had nobody higher than Lieutenant

I made the same mistake on my first playthrough. Utter slaughter.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3181 on: October 12, 2012, 08:27:04 am »

See, when I used the "key" I hadn't even built a foundry and my guys had standard armor + laser rifles, my heavy was still using a standard machine gun, and I had nobody higher than Lieutenant

I actually did fine. Lost 2 guys out of 6 and captured the head hancho

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3182 on: October 12, 2012, 08:27:55 am »

Dammit, you guys, don't make me go home too early :\ I totally want to play this. I have a wedding tomorrow, but I might jus decide to pull an all-nighter to play this. Who knows. My wife knows. She'll say no. Dammit, you guys.

Also, stop spoiling!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: October 12, 2012, 08:29:49 am »

My game in Classic/Ironman is in a definite tailspin. We won the base mission that I mentioned before - actually managed to get a LOS on the commander without him seeing me, so my first shot on him was a crit headshot from my sniper. However, everyone was badly hurt, so the B team faired... poorly... on the next mission - total wipe. Then the next mission was a landed UFO. Ran into a trio of sectoid commanders. So much mind control. So much pain. Tried to evac, but the evac zone seemed to disappear. In the end my awesome sniper was on his own, fighting it out with the aliens... till one of the commanders came in range... the final words in that mission: "I'm losing control!" then fade to black.

I've picked up 'The New Guy' and I've got plasma weapons... but my entire team is made out of 0 mission squaddies, who are honestly not that much better than rookies. So far I've only lost one country, but I think I'm going to lose as many as 3 more come next month.

Probably time to restart.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: October 12, 2012, 08:29:56 am »

Word to the wise.
When a country comes to you asking for a sattelite, and offering you 200 simoleons (for a 77 dollar project), they tend to give you exactly 20days, and a sattelite takes 20days. And no, you can NOT finish the sattelite in time to meet the request, no matter how much you need that money (on the bright side, I prevented canada from leaving with said sattelite, so it all works out in the end).

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: October 12, 2012, 08:32:36 am »

satellite (and most engineered items) base costs go down as you gain more engineers.  Starts at 100 @ classic

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:39 am »

Can someone tell me at what point in the game I am? I need to know if I should go all in or not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: October 12, 2012, 08:38:02 am »

I actually did fine. Lost 2 guys out of 6 and captured the head hancho
I think I was geared in lazers and I think carapace by that time.  Maybe skeletons.  1 casualty early on, but he was a plasma catcher... with the pokeball. Also, lots of freezing bugs along the way. 
Head honcho took control of my other plasma catcher, he was the only one with a pokeball at that time.
Though, admittedly, it was on easy... (Gobs and gobs of money!)

Working on a classic game now... money troubles.  Also, not many engis/scientists...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:48 am »

I just had a package delivered to my office that will ruin my life for the next week(s) and cause me even more time in XCOM.

Thank god it was free!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3189 on: October 12, 2012, 08:57:34 am »

I just had a package delivered to my office that will ruin my life for the next week(s) and cause me even more time in XCOM.

Thank god it was free!
Let me know how it is. I'm using the nice logitech one which works very well.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:10 am »

lazers

Laser: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation   :P

This run is on Normal, not Classic, so I'm not sure what is different.  For me, it looks like Engineers > Cash > Scientists.  So many things require a set number of staff on hand, and if you don't have them, you're stuck waiting on an abduction mission reward, or the end of month.  I started in Europe, so I've got scientists coming out of my ears.  Also, at this stage of the game (waiting to build the Hyper-Wave Decoder) I have everything researched, and 67 scientists in 2 labs are sitting idle.

But for combat, my strategy is mostly to turtle up.  Set up in a defensive point, send out one of my Assaults to trigger the aliens, and lead them back.  Which works for some, but the Elite Mutons end up doing the same thing...

Game story:  My first sectopod, on a landed UFO, was amazingly easy.  Of course, I had two Sniper Colonels with Plasma Sniper Rifles - Squadsight, Head Shot, crit for 19, crit for 17.  8)
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3191 on: October 12, 2012, 09:04:37 am »

You have to love a shot which is 100% chance of hit AND 100% chance of crit.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: October 12, 2012, 09:05:40 am »

So this is the new Xcom that is NOT fps.  Is it good enough for purchase? How have they changed the amount of guys you can have?
HEY GUYS I IGNORE THREAD IS GAME GUD?

Be nice, some people don't have the time to crawl through the last 20 or so pages.

Yes, its good. The change to the people makes the game far more tactical and less gamey. Get it. I'm still feverishly awaiting my ordered copy to get here. I'm honestly tempted to spend more money on steam to get it RIGHT NAO
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3193 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:47 am »

So this is the new Xcom that is NOT fps.  Is it good enough for purchase? How have they changed the amount of guys you can have?
HEY GUYS I IGNORE THREAD IS GAME GUD?

Be nice, some people don't have the time to crawl through the last 20 or so pages.

Yes, its good. The change to the people makes the game far more tactical and less gamey. Get it. I'm still feverishly awaiting my ordered copy to get here. I'm honestly tempted to spend more money on steam to get it RIGHT NAO
But I'm not an inherently nice person!

But you're right. Sorry Johuotar. Game is good, buy buy buy!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: October 12, 2012, 09:17:42 am »

Game story:  My first sectopod, on a landed UFO, was amazingly easy.  Of course, I had two Sniper Colonels with Plasma Sniper Rifles - Squadsight, Head Shot, crit for 19, crit for 17.  8)

Hah, those things...  by coincidence, first time I met it, I was playing around with the grapplers on a large ship mission... it ended up blowing up quite a few walls and stuff as I shot at it and +8 other enemies from the roof.
Plasma catcher was at a side entrance drawing most of the hate and missiles.  Armored Floaters and Drones were kind enough to come up top 1-2 at a time.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 625