Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961047 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3120 on: October 11, 2012, 09:34:02 pm »

We lost another B12'er.  Col. Ernest "Santa" Hemingjay charged into a supply UFO interior to point-blank one-shot an etheral with rapid fire, breaking an ally free from mind control.  While the room only contained an muton elite before, afterwards a muton, a berserker, three floaters, and three chrysalids spawned in the tiles adjacent to him, either through the enemy spawn glitch or dropping in through the skylight (although I'd wonder why that many enemies would be sitting around on the roof).  Thanks to his sacrifice, his squad was able to mop up the remaining aliens without casualties.  He had 61 confirmed kills over the course of 26 missions, most scored point-blank with a shotgun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm definitely reusing those names on my next playthrough.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: October 11, 2012, 09:37:24 pm »

Holy crap. Dare I say it I might actually WIN this classic iron man run.

My strategy of 5-man assault, all with laser rifles and upgraded scopes has been incredibly effective. I bring along a heavy with the arc thrower to capture stuff. Remember how I was talking about storming the alien base for the first time, going in blind, and coming back crying?

I didn't lose a single guy. I even hauled Mr. Bighead and a Muton off for interrogation.

I wonder if I can use this strategy in multiplayer. I bet it would be too expensive.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: October 11, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »

Not hemingjay  :'(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: October 11, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »

Well i think i just realized what I messed up on this playthrough. I didn't visit the officers school enough, and I didn't train my rookies enough so when my captain squad got killed by a tragic muton encounter I didn't have any trained soldiers to make up for it.
It's FEF, not FEOF

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: October 11, 2012, 09:48:54 pm »

So, yeah, if you give your xcom soldiers literally no upgrades, you can bring four soldiers with titan armor into a multiplayer game.  I actually won my first game using that strategy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: October 11, 2012, 09:49:09 pm »

We lost another B12'er.  Col. Ernest "Santa" Hemingjay charged into a supply UFO interior to point-blank one-shot an etheral with rapid fire, breaking an ally free from mind control.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm definitely reusing those names on my next playthrough.

I am honored and am adding you to my game as well!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: October 11, 2012, 10:19:26 pm »

That last one was just absolutely pathetic.  Two different assaulters missing a Muton with shotguns at point-blank range.  Everybody panicking everywhere.  Guys in heavy armor dropping like flies to one hit a piece.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:49 pm »

Holy crap. Dare I say it I might actually WIN this classic iron man run.
Preposterous!

My strategy of 5-man assault, all with laser rifles and upgraded scopes has been incredibly effective.
Hm. This does sound pretty brutal, though.

In related news, I started up an LP if anyone's interested. Just doing Normal, though; too afraid of losing the large-scale game too quickly on Classic.

Ninja'd by exactly what I'm talking about. Goddamn.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: October 11, 2012, 10:28:45 pm »

That last one was just absolutely pathetic.  Two different assaulters missing a Muton with shotguns at point-blank range.  Everybody panicking everywhere.  Guys in heavy armor dropping like flies to one hit a piece.
You're left with a Brit, A South African and an Australian? My god, it could be a sitcom! Quickly someone check if we can get the rights to it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: October 11, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »

You're left with a Brit, A South African and an Australian? My god, it could be a sitcom! Quickly someone check if we can get the rights to it.

You could build entire episodes from them arguing about accents.

I actually had four more soldiers in the pipe when I took that screenshot, and launched a third satellite over America.  I still have six nations threatening to leave and a council meeting in four days.

And now, a Terror Mission in Cordoba.  One sniper and four rookies, heavy armor, basic weapons.  Rally men of Earth, to death and glory.

Oh God, it's even at a military base.  The aliens are taunting me now, they just blew up some generalissimo's stronghold and are waiting for me to walk in.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:34:25 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3130 on: October 11, 2012, 10:57:51 pm »

It makes me wonder why the people of the world would cut funding for Humanity's last hope.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:13 pm »

It makes me wonder why the people of the world would cut funding for Humanity's last hope.

The ending cinematic makes it very clear why.

Spoiler: Speaking of which. (click to show/hide)

Lessons Learned:

Build workshops immediately.
Don't build more equipment than you actually need.
Be fucking cautious at all times.
Keep a satellite or two in reserve.

This really was an exploratory first run, and most of my confusion came from expecting the game to work more like the original.  I'll be hitting the ground running next time.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »

Appeasement. Stop funding XCOM and strike a deal with your future overlords, and they stop attacking you.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »

To put money in their own defence forces? I've always seen X-Com as like the UN Peace Keeping forces. Nobody really has any faith in them and nobody wants to invest any money into them when they have their own crap to deal with.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: October 11, 2012, 11:32:34 pm »

This is bullshit, I just had 2 sectopods and 2 ethereals thrown at me. How the fuck am I supposed to deal with that shit?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 625