Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960986 times)

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3060 on: October 11, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »

You can actually turn autosave on for non ironman games. I know we use it but without ironman since the touchpad on this laptop can be kinda sensitive about clicks, and that's caused problems when a door gets clicked on a button for an ability that wasn't intended gets clicked. Not to mention accidentally hitting to scan for activity rather than respond to abductions.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: October 11, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

Batch of comments on some things.

First of all, Muton Berserkers are a major pain!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've had the UI become absolutely horrible at times. For example sometimes the game ABSOLUTELY does not want me placing a unit on a perfectly logical spot.

The UI can be a pain - watch out any time you are trying to move a unit to an overhang.  I get a lot of flickering, and half the time it will send my unit down in front.  It seems like you can make these moves easier by rotating the map and trying again, but I had one spot on a map that I absolutely could not move into, even though it looked perfectly valid.

without Ironman the game does not autosave.  A CTD last night cost me my game that was steadily falling apart but I was still way into.

You have to go into the Advanced Options when starting a game, and enable autosave.  Which you need to do, because there are some (PC) menu bugs that have forced me to alt-tab, kill the game & reload.  At times, the UI menu options will be borked - for me, it always seems like the base pause/save/load menu just will not come up.  That's happened to me about 3 times, and I was able to get back to the latest autosave.  Battlefield saves are at the start of every turn (so if the aliens kill your guys, they are already dead in the save), but I'm not sure how often the Geoscape saves happen.  Probably when you hit a research/production event, or maybe daily.

Overall, there are some glitches & bugs I really hope get fixed.  Sight can be a pain, since the camera auto-adjusts when you're near the map edge, or to a set height.  It makes it a pain when you're in a UFO, have a 3 story building to go through, or you're trying to move someone to a certain point in a varying height map.  I really wish you could force the game to adjust to a level, like in the original.  The menu bugging out is a pain, and I had to kill the game one time because it froze up (or couldn't decide what to do) on Alien Activity.  I also wish they'd incorporated the UFOpedia from the original game - this has no in-game database of your stuff, and you have to check each of them out to see what they do.  But still, it's pretty solid otherwise.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:02 pm »

The UI can be a pain - watch out any time you are trying to move a unit to an overhang.  I get a lot of flickering, and half the time it will send my unit down in front.  It seems like you can make these moves easier by rotating the map and trying again, but I had one spot on a map that I absolutely could not move into, even though it looked perfectly valid.
I've had that too. I couldn't move onto the only piece of cover in the area. It was a bit interesting, as it forced me to use a smoke grenade (which didn't work since there was no cover to hide behind in the first place). But most of the time everything works like a charm and the fluid movement is really nice. It's great how your soldiers just jump up and down and over stuff like nobody's business. Guess that's why they went for a lot of crafted maps rather than just randomly generated ones.

But yeah, I'm more impressed that there are so few bugs, rather than the few that exist but aren't too big a deal.

I wish I could undo movement though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: October 11, 2012, 03:02:35 pm »

Why are cyberdisks even in multiplayer?  Seriously, these fucking things.
Shoes...

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: October 11, 2012, 03:35:00 pm »

Anyone know when the game is unlocked in Europe?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: October 11, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »

I especially like how the laser shotgun (Scatter Laser) makes a shotgun-booming noise...  And for the record - I think Assault's are my second favorite class (Snipers first).

In Real Life (TM), a laser with that kind of power (enough to kill an armored target I presume) would make a noise similar to a thunderclap, due to ionization of the air and whatnot.

Anyway...

I have been watching a lot of gameplay videos, and it seems to me that's it's pretty much impossible to avoid having bunches of countries withdraw their support. This doesn't seem to be only in the Classic or harder settings... Every abduction, two countries get TONS of panic (I mean a lot, like going from 1 to 4), one gets a slight decrease if at all... scripted missions don't seem to lower panic all that much and satellites take days and days to make and deploy (more if you count every time you have to make one of those sat base thingies). So what's the deal? Is it just a plate juggling game where there's a certainty that half of the dishes will fall and break? Opinions? This kinda irks me, if I can't keep everyone happy why even try?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: October 11, 2012, 03:52:28 pm »

Every abduction, two countries get TONS of panic (I mean a lot, like going from 1 to 4), one gets a slight decrease if at all...
Oh it's worse than that. For abductions, the country you help (assuming you succeed) gets some panic reduction. For the other two countries, their entire continent experiences increased panic. So if you don't help Great Britain, all of Europe panics a little more.
scripted missions don't seem to lower panic all that much
Depends on the mission, it seems. I recently completed a major scripted mission, and panic WORLDWIDE decreased. Considering I had three countries on the verge of leaving, that helped tremendously.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:16 pm »

So what's the deal? Is it just a plate juggling game where there's a certainty that half of the dishes will fall and break? Opinions? This kinda irks me, if I can't keep everyone happy why even try?

Odd last statement. You can never make EVERYONE happy even in Real Life (TM). You try because you have to, or because you have something to gain.

I don't know why the "plate juggling" thing irks you. XCOM isn't a 100% success rate game. The fact that it makes you so angry is part of the fun.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:32 pm »

I especially like how the laser shotgun (Scatter Laser) makes a shotgun-booming noise...  And for the record - I think Assault's are my second favorite class (Snipers first).

In Real Life (TM), a laser with that kind of power (enough to kill an armored target I presume) would make a noise similar to a thunderclap, due to ionization of the air and whatnot.

Anyway...

I have been watching a lot of gameplay videos, and it seems to me that's it's pretty much impossible to avoid having bunches of countries withdraw their support. This doesn't seem to be only in the Classic or harder settings... Every abduction, two countries get TONS of panic (I mean a lot, like going from 1 to 4), one gets a slight decrease if at all... scripted missions don't seem to lower panic all that much and satellites take days and days to make and deploy (more if you count every time you have to make one of those sat base thingies). So what's the deal? Is it just a plate juggling game where there's a certainty that half of the dishes will fall and break? Opinions? This kinda irks me, if I can't keep everyone happy why even try?

Currently playing on 'Normal' and I haven't had a country drop out yet and I'm very close to the endgame (and I haven't played for anywhere near 20 hours, so that time frame is bull...)

Really disappointed with it, if I'm honest. It's very linear and not a patch on the classic X-Com games.

If they do a sequel (which they need to do sooner rather than later) then they need to change an awful lot.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: October 11, 2012, 03:56:06 pm »

Thoughts on panic, some confirmed, some speculation.  This game (4th) is on Normal mode, mid July; I've lost Russia & the UK, but everything else is ok.  If things go well for the next 3 weeks, I'll have my 3rd satellite nexus built, and be able to launch the rest of my satellites (14 total) - one for everyone except Russia & the UK.

Minor edit inside, on the negative results to an idea I had.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:28:53 pm by Urist McSpike »
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: October 11, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »

Anyway...

Currently playing on 'Normal' and I haven't had a country drop out yet and I'm very close to the endgame (and I haven't played for anywhere near 20 hours, so that time frame is bull...)

Really disappointed with it, if I'm honest. It's very linear and not a patch on the classic X-Com games.

If they do a sequel (which they need to do sooner rather than later) then they need to change an awful lot.

Try playing on Classic. The increased difficulty helps a lot to keep the game interesting. Still feels linear in some ways, but it's hard enough that I can easily see different games going very differently so replayability should be fine.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: October 11, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »

What do you mean by "It's very linear"? All X-Com games had a research path to get get to the end and beat the game, that is the only way I have seen that XCOM can be described as Linear.

Also what do you mean "not a patch on the classic"?

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: October 11, 2012, 04:30:40 pm »

Somehow, it's oddly appropriate...   :P

Colonel Min Ju 'Demon' Choi, a sniper with 64 kills over 24 missions, is the first Psi capable operative I have.  (In The Zone is an amazing sniper ability, btw.)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: October 11, 2012, 04:47:01 pm »

Anyway...

Try playing on Classic. The increased difficulty helps a lot to keep the game interesting. Still feels linear in some ways, but it's hard enough that I can easily see different games going very differently so replayability should be fine.
Yeah, the countries are really kinda stupid on Classic. Starting at the end of month 2, I've had 3 dropping out per month, despite usually adequate rating. Those abduction missions are terrible for this. You succeeded in pushing back the alien threat on a 'very difficult' map? Congratulations, you are rewarded with -4 panic in the country the threat was in. Also a +2 to panic for each of the 4 countries in each of the 2 continents the other missions were in. It becomes unmitigated BS in that regard, as they drop left and right even if you succeed in pretty much all your missions.

I'm likely gong to lose by the end of month 4 simply because winning all but 2 missions apparently just wasn't good enough for them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:49:02 pm by alway »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: October 11, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

Am I reading this right? A 1.8 GIG patch today? WTF!
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 625