Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961065 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2985 on: October 11, 2012, 02:21:31 am »

Okay, the game is definitely cheating now.

How? Floaters are flying through the roof/wall of a UFO. An INTACT roof or wall. Not using their special ability, just plain flying.

UFOs have false walls... it is weird and I wouldn't have known it if I didn't have one of my characters run through one.

Also get the small vests for Squaddies... +3 health is a TON

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 11, 2012, 02:45:40 am »

Do you guys ever meet aliens inside the UFOs?  I've had sectoids defend the doors, and outsiders the control rooms, but I've never had a normal fight where everyone was inside the UFO, which is a pity, because even the smaller ones I've attacked look like awesome places to battle.
In a large UFO, I found two groups of Floaters and one group of Chryssalids* inside the ship.

*They weren't really that dangerous since they ran right through the center of my troops on their move-but-don't-attack turn.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 11, 2012, 03:48:48 am »

Yeah i cant believe the flying trough wall/roof somewhat manage to get trough internal testing... i think they should fire up a few to make them learn.... That and the fact i have a 90% chance to hit, miss, reload a few time and STILL MISS THE SAME SHOT!!!!.... I tried moving around still missed, got bored and sent a rocket.... HE FRIGGING MISSED the rocket by a MILE!!! reload and try to rocket again.... MISS and fly at the very same spot as last time when he missed.... If i wasnt lazy i would have made a montage.... it was soo horrible that it was funny... seriously when i saw that, i was disgusted that the shot roll are made BEFORE you even choose to shoot....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2988 on: October 11, 2012, 04:00:43 am »

Do you guys ever meet aliens inside the UFOs?  I've had sectoids defend the doors, and outsiders the control rooms, but I've never had a normal fight where everyone was inside the UFO, which is a pity, because even the smaller ones I've attacked look like awesome places to battle.
I had one battle in which I fought three groups of three floaters in the forest, and then had to take out a sectoid squad that were hunkered behind the second set of shield doors in the large UFO we downed. The interior of the UFO was fairly easy since I happened to bring my shotguns on that mission. ;D Other than that mission, I rarely ever see more than one alien inside the ship (not right outside the UFO, or waiting in one of the outer rooms to run outside).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:03:29 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2989 on: October 11, 2012, 04:07:46 am »

What do you guys do about mutons and their endless grenading? I mean, in some maps your troops simply need to be close together, but then a pack of 3 mutons appear, throw three grenades. That appears to take out a few soldiers dead and/or panicked, plus a large area without cover. Then another group of 3 mutons appears. Rinse and repeat, squad dead.

Then of course the cyberdisk shows up and takes out anything he wants everytime.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2990 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:00 am »

You two didn't just bum rush him with two expendable rookies? All that you have to do is just shoot the one that gets mind controlled.
Fun fact: You can spec your sniper to disarm.  It does not do much damage.  Either way, you'll meet more later...  and... yea, best to outnumber em if you are trying to capture.

Mind you, you do not have to shoot the traitor...  just putting the enemy down will end it.
In fact the controlling effect will wear off on its own after 3? turns. It may have worn off because the soldier went out of line of sight, or may have been a duration thing, but suddenly soldier was fine and looking around like "What? Guys? Why is everyone staring at m-OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO JOHNSON? WHY ARE MY HANDS COVERED IN BLOOD? WHY DO I TASTE EYEBALL?"

What do you guys do about mutons and their endless grenading? I mean, in some maps your troops simply need to be close together, but then a pack of 3 mutons appear, throw three grenades. That appears to take out a few soldiers dead and/or panicked, plus a large area without cover. Then another group of 3 mutons appears. Rinse and repeat, squad dead.

Then of course the cyberdisk shows up and takes out anything he wants everytime.
When I hit artillery mutons I fall back and spread the hell out, even running away to a new position with better cover if I need to. I try to draw them out so my sniper can kill em.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 11, 2012, 04:39:05 am »

Hey guys, I think I might have figured something out: The difficulty of missions appears to be tied to the panic level of countries. From my experience, the closer to panic the country is, the harder the missions appear to be.

Anyone else notice this?

Also, holy crap my last terror mission had 3 Chryssalids and 3 Cyber Disks.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:26 am »

Hey guys, I think I might have figured something out: The difficulty of missions appears to be tied to the panic level of countries. From my experience, the closer to panic the country is, the harder the missions appear to be.

Anyone else notice this?

This is only really true early on if at all. Me and my fiancee are what we think is a decent way into plot objectives and even on non paniced locations we don't get anything less than very difficult.

And now every mission has at least one cyberdisk and at least one or three whole squads of mutons. We're really, really glad we got the upgrade to keep higher ranked people alive more often when their HP bottoms out. We'd of lost 4 guys if not more past the base assault by now if we didn't.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2994 on: October 11, 2012, 05:15:26 am »

Anyone else notice this?

Also, holy crap my last terror mission had 3 Chryssalids and 3 Cyber Disks.
I've had countries with zero to one bar of panic that still give me Very Difficult abductions. I think the difficulty is relative to the actual progression of the alien invasion. So when you first discover floaters, Easy would be fighting four sectoids and a single floater, whereas a Very Difficult mission might be three sectoids, a thin man, and eight floaters, if that makes any sense.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: October 11, 2012, 05:23:38 am »

I have limited experience with mutons, but from what I have seen?  Because of the grenades and their high damage weapons, there's no real safe way to fight mutons.  On top of that, their high defense means they'll be very hard to hit, especially in cover.  You're going to suffer in a drawn out fight, and if both sides are sticking to cover that's what you'll get.  So get rid of their cover.  Destroy it, flank them or move in close, or use very likely to hit weapons like snipers at a range or multiple explosives.  Unleash everything you have, and kill them a fast as possible.  Late game
Mutons don't generally throw their grenades at me unless I let them live for a few turns.  If they're just throwing them immediately for you, I'm not sure what to tell you except put a rookie with really good armor in front and hope it takes all of their grenades to kill him.

Also, the difficulty of missions seems to be determined by panic level + difficulty level + time passed.  So playing classic mode like most of us are, once you hit a certain point most missions are going to be "very difficult".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:31 am »

Soldier UI
Needs Massive update cause Mass Effect/Console UI sucks.

The Skeleton Armor line... I lurve it the most.  +Movement, +Defense and not bad +Health in comparison to the other ones, which do not have as much versatility.

Another Fun Fact: Apparently, Mind Controlled people, when they are carrying the Light Plasma Rifle and die?  The weapon dissolves.  Might be true of other Plasma weapons and other such things?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2997 on: October 11, 2012, 05:40:52 am »

Soldier UI
Needs Massive update cause Mass Effect/Console UI sucks.
Honestly I don't mind the UI much, but I hate that I can't shoot things other than enemies. If an enemy is hiding behind explosive cover, I want to explode it!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: October 11, 2012, 05:55:10 am »

Strange. Maybe it's just abduction missions? Maybe the RNG is just screwing with me? I mean, all the difficult abduction missions have been in countries with high panic and all the easy ones in low panic countries for me.

Honestly I don't mind the UI much, but I hate that I can't shoot things other than enemies. If an enemy is hiding behind explosive cover, I want to explode it!
Yeah, I really wish they gave you free fire.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: October 11, 2012, 06:04:45 am »

Ok, X-COM dispatched a day early and I wake up to a package today instead of Friday. Turns out the other package I was expecting for Friday has turned up. I was so excited too. Goddammit universe.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 625