Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961080 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2955 on: October 10, 2012, 11:21:28 pm »

Shotguns are seriously badass. Especially when you have that perk that allows the assault to shoot at anyone coming within 4 squares of him.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: October 10, 2012, 11:33:59 pm »

Its the same reason that assaults reload their shotgun with one hand

No they don't...

That isn't... reloading.

Neonovik, I'm aware that reloading a shotgun and pumping it aren't the same thing.  It was a slip of the fingers.  From your post, its obvious that you know what I meant.  Which means that you recognize that my overall statement was correct, and you were just being pedantic.

Next time, if you're going to correct me on what's basically gun operating jargon, leave out the condescending pauses.
Well since you have to manually eject a spent round, I suppose you weren't too far off. It's not really all that important.
Except you have to do it for all shotgun-type weapons. Even the laser ones. Especially the laser ones.
w-what? That... doesn't make sense. I can't even think of a reason for that to be required.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I especially like how the laser shotgun (Scatter Laser) makes a shotgun-booming noise...  And for the record - I think Assault's are my second favorite class (Snipers first).
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: October 10, 2012, 11:43:08 pm »

Major Zed on defeating Mutons: Run the **** away.
On Crysalids: Run the **** away.
On Sectoids: Shoot it in the head.

Going up against cryssalids with the name Zed is pretty much putting on a red shirt and talking about how much you love your kids back home, then trying to make it through your last day before you retire from the force.

Seriously, if he gets turned into a zombie, I called it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: October 10, 2012, 11:53:56 pm »

You goes don't understand. The shotgun SHOOTS LASERS.

No, that came out wrong. I mean, it shoots laser BULLETS.

That's still not right.

It shoots POINT BLANK LASERS. As in, BULLETS that FIRE LASERS until they are at POINT BLANK range.

Imagine, like, a laser pointer. Now shrink it down, and stuff a half dozen of those in a cartridge. And then FIRE.

BOOM.

This is in fact how all laser weapons work. And now you know why they are so expensive to make.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:15 pm »

You goes don't understand. The shotgun SHOOTS LASERS.

No, that came out wrong. I mean, it shoots laser BULLETS.

That's still not right.

It shoots POINT BLANK LASERS. As in, BULLETS that FIRE LASERS until they are at POINT BLANK range.

Imagine, like, a laser pointer. Now shrink it down, and stuff a half dozen of those in a cartridge. And then FIRE.

BOOM.

This is in fact how all laser weapons work. And now you know why they are so expensive to make.

I lol'd. But I still don't understand.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:10 pm »

It fires a bullet, and this bullet fires a laser when in close proximity.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:01 am »

Or, it could be "stupid" feedback. So that the grunt doesn't set it to "flashlight" mode and then try to shoot something with it. Or shoot his own face off because he doesn't believe it's firing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: October 11, 2012, 12:04:35 am »

Not sure any of you noticed, but some of the armor deco choices have ammo on their exterior (sniper ones do at least). When you switch to laser weapons, there is still ammo; they appear to be heat-clips or somesuch; which makes sense given that every laser research project complains about how much heat they generate. So reloading such things does make sense; and isn't exactly uncommon, given we've also seen such things from Mass Effect's weapons. Or they could be power cells.

As for the noise, I highly suspect all laser weaponry is actually silent. The engineering team just added speakers, Toys-R-Us style, to the guns, to make noises which help keep up troop morale. No one wants a silent gun; that would both be unnerving and lead you to question the integrity and usefulness of the weapon. I mean, would you want to give up your comforting DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA for an eerie silence over which you hear the noises of deadly, hostile aliens all around you?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: October 11, 2012, 12:06:03 am »

What makes less sense, though, is the recoil from the laser weapons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:14 am »

What makes less sense, though, is the recoil from the laser weapons.

Lasers cast a shadow in the orginal X-Com. Don't think about it.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:43 am »

Well they couldn't just leave sound effects without recoil; that would just be cheesy!

They weapons contain a big lead weight which is thrown forward within the weapon when it fires, to give it that real, live-action feel.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: October 11, 2012, 12:10:56 am »

Big capacitors does make a buzzing sound, the higher the capacity the higher the pitch

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: October 11, 2012, 12:11:59 am »

Big capacitors does make a buzzing sound, the higher the capacity the higher the pitch
Do they recoil upon discharge? That would be awesome. (I'm betting that the answer is no, but I've never dealt with capacitors of significant size.)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: October 11, 2012, 12:17:08 am »

Spoiler: cheat names (click to show/hide)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: October 11, 2012, 12:17:56 am »

I don't think they recoil.

Oh, btw, I went and checked and the pitch is a function of the frequency, the sound result of magnetical charges of alternate current acting with the surroundings

So we can say in future the lasers runs on AC?
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 625