Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961106 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2910 on: October 10, 2012, 06:35:38 pm »

So it burst into flames in otherwords.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: October 10, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »

Well... it was on fire already. This was like it... went into fire super-saiyan mode or something.

I figure there was enough pressure in the gas tank or something that it did actually explode.

Finding car explosions on youtube. Apparently there IS a sound - I must have just been so surprised by the situation I didn't notice (unsurprising, really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoF99LYdts
14-20 seconds in, actual car explosion. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-6tARu5mc
1:55 here
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:42:59 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: October 10, 2012, 06:42:49 pm »

Cars only explode if there is a Gas leak or if something is hot enough to instantly vapourise the gas in the gas engine (Which ordinary bullets are not hot enough)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43:44 pm »

Cars explode when they've been on fire for a couple minutes, apparently, going by those leaks. Fire plus time plus pressurized gasoline = explosion.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: October 10, 2012, 06:44:29 pm »

But notice how the cars tend to catch on fire first. Short of a rocket launcher, I've never seen a car in this game just explode instantly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: October 10, 2012, 06:46:20 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_gNpTPLltM

Another. This one explodes TWICE, apparently.

You know, this actually does seem pretty on par with the behaviour of the cars in game. Except maybe the chain reactions happening so fast. :P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: October 10, 2012, 06:46:52 pm »

There usually is visible fire from the vehicle before it explodes.  Unless you use explosives on it first.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: October 10, 2012, 06:47:41 pm »

Wow, I never knew how nasty an Assault with a shotgun is.

All you need is cover from other enemies, enemies not reserving turns for Overwatch, and support. Bam, your Assault becomes a wrecking ball that can bypass all enemy cover and wipe the floor with any early game enemies in one shot.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: October 10, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »

Yeah but DANG do the Cars blow up FAST! Given that each turn is supposed to represent a few seconds of battle.

It makes cars REALLY lousy cover in essence because of their tendency to just explode because someone shot the passenger seat. (admittingly it could just be that the insides of the car burst into flames and spread to the engine because of the plasma weaponry... but unlike the original Xcom... Plasma has much less... impact so to speak.)

In the future our anti-theft systems will be over protective.

All you need is cover from other enemies, enemies not reserving turns for Overwatch, and support. Bam, your Assault becomes a wrecking ball that can bypass all enemy cover and wipe the floor with any early game enemies in one shot

And later on... even mid enemies if you can get them enough skill.

Which becomes important because getting rushed by multiple tough to kill enemies... you want ot be able to at least kill one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:04:16 pm by Neonivek »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: October 10, 2012, 07:44:43 pm »

Those things I said about the aliens not stepping up their game in Classic Ironman?  I was wrong.  Oh it wasn't a terror mission, it's the plain old abduction missions that are screwing me up.  Damn Thin Men always Matrixing their way around and killing my veterans.  Lost Lieutenant Pharaoh and a whole slew of squaddies to a couple total wipeouts.

Then I had my first terror mission and... mopped the floor with them.  Only hairy moment was when a Chryssalid charged right into the fucking middle of three soldiers and then just sat there looking threatening.  Took all three of them to put it down, but holy crap that was lucky.  Proceeded to clear out the rest of a remarkably Unidense bar & grill in Acapulco without taking a scratch.

In the process Brazil, Nigeria, and the United Kingdom have abandoned me by my third month of failing to defend them.  Argentina will doubtless soon follow, and Russia probably would have if I hadn't snubbed the U.S. for a satellite request and abandoned Egypt and Mexico for a brutish but incredibly lucky shootout in a German graveyard.  Faced six Floaters and my first two Mutons, and only lost one guy.

Now if I could just get some more goddamn Engineers, none of this would be a problem.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: October 10, 2012, 07:49:00 pm »

It all reminds me of Shopkeeper, the immortal glitchalid, my fondest memory of UFO defense.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: October 10, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »

It all reminds me of Shopkeeper, the immortal glitchalid, my fondest memory of UFO defense.

... Explain.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:15 pm »

I had a rookie, named Shopkeeper, after the guy with the same name from one of the Ultima games. Now, Shopkeeper was blessed by the RNG. He could walk through a hail of reaction fire with nary a scratch, and seemed to inspire idiodicy in all aliens around him, who routinely blew themselves up with grenades.

I took him with me to Cydonia, where he pretty much drew every single shot to him without suffer even one. Blaster bombs would veer off course, plasma shots would miss him by a mile, and grenades killed their owners constantly. And we went down.

Now, Cydonia splits up your team across the base, and Shopkeeper was left all by his lonesome. He went around a corner, and BAM, Cryssalid. On it's turn, it swung eight times, and missed every single one. The second Cryssalid, however, managed to hit him.

His Corpse retained the same luck he had in life, withstanding a grand total of three bolts from heavy plasma cannons before releasing it's xenomorphic passenger. He then proceeded to eat 4 heavy plasma rounds before dying.

And then something happened.

He got back up. But not as a Cryssalid. Oh no. Ohhhhhh noooooo. Some horribly glitched mass of static rose from the grave that day, and killed five good soldiers.

That's what I get for naming him in refrence to a Kikoskia video, where the same thing happened. The name Shopkeeper is now forever cursed in my eyes.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: October 10, 2012, 08:05:37 pm »

I had a rookie, named Shopkeeper, after the guy with the same name from one of the Ultima games. Now, Shopkeeper was blessed by the RNG. He could walk through a hail of reaction fire with nary a scratch, and seemed to inspire idiodicy in all aliens around him, who routinely blew themselves up with grenades.

I took him with me to Cydonia, where he pretty much drew every single shot to him without suffer even one. Blaster bombs would veer off course, plasma shots would miss him by a mile, and grenades killed their owners constantly. And we went down.

Now, Cydonia splits up your team across the base, and Shopkeeper was left all by his lonesome. He went around a corner, and BAM, Cryssalid. On it's turn, it swung eight times, and missed every single one. The second Cryssalid, however, managed to hit him.

His Corpse retained the same luck he had in life, withstanding a grand total of three bolts from heavy plasma cannons before releasing it's xenomorphic passenger. He then proceeded to eat 4 heavy plasma rounds before dying.

And then something happened.

He got back up. But not as a Cryssalid. Oh no. Ohhhhhh noooooo. Some horribly glitched mass of static rose from the grave that day, and killed five good soldiers.

That's what I get for naming him in refrence to a Kikoskia video, where the same thing happened. The name Shopkeeper is now forever cursed in my eyes.

This is awesome.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: October 10, 2012, 08:17:48 pm »

... Start mission, have plasma catcher dash into middle of construction yard, first thing.  He is now flanked by Mutons.
Working as intended.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 625