Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961098 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2895 on: October 10, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »

Well, the game does take place Ten Minutes In The Future...

But seriously, the original series was much worse in this regard, so I'm just glad we have at least a little more variety.

Yeah but it makes an interesting cutscene where one person carries his twin to safety.

They have the ability to do whatever they wanted with that cutscene and they just went "Yep... Perfect!"

It makes me wonder if that was meant to be intentionally funny as a sort of poke at the original.
Considering they included the original mohawk/afro combination hair, I wouldn't be surprised.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: October 10, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »

BTW, to someone that mentioned disappointment in the lack of UFOpaedia/game manual, they're in the Escape menu along with Save/Load Game, etc.

That was probably me, and what they have is a waste of space.  As USEC_OFFICER said, it's just an in-game manual.  Want to know about, oh, Aircraft Armaments, for example?  Sure, check that manual - it just tells you that you can go to the hanger, select an aircraft, and choose what weapon system to equip on it.  Yep!  Your scientists can research things with enough detail for your engineers to build them... but if you want to know the stats of an item, you have to build it, go to the soldier/craft equip page, and click on the tab to actually see the stats.  Ridonkulous!  Especially when you compare the original game's in-game UFOpedia that would update with every bit of research, building or piece of gear as you unlocked them, with full stats and fluff text.

Actually, if you go to the build screen, at the bottom left corner is a button with an arrow on it, which gives the stats of whatever you're building.

I only learned this after playing for several hours. An actual UFOpaedia would have been nice.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: October 10, 2012, 04:46:48 pm »

Tip for everyone: Watch out for fires. Stay at least 2 tiles away from them. You do not want your cover being burned up, leaving your soldiers exposed...

I've lost two soldiers to that so far, I'm going to do my best not to make that same mistake again.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: October 10, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »

Tip for everyone: Watch out for fires. Stay at least 2 tiles away from them. You do not want your cover being burned up, leaving your soldiers exposed...

I've lost two soldiers to that so far, I'm going to do my best not to make that same mistake again.

I once had a car explode on me... I was honestly surprised mostly because... well... Cars don't really explode in real life and I didn't know this game would be so silly with Car explosions (I've seen long chains of car explosions)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »

Cars can actually explode in real life, one (the Ford Pinto, IIRC) would actually explode almost as frequently as Hollywood shows.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: October 10, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

BTW, to someone that mentioned disappointment in the lack of UFOpaedia/game manual, they're in the Escape menu along with Save/Load Game, etc.

That was probably me, and what they have is a waste of space.  As USEC_OFFICER said, it's just an in-game manual.  Want to know about, oh, Aircraft Armaments, for example?  Sure, check that manual - it just tells you that you can go to the hanger, select an aircraft, and choose what weapon system to equip on it.  Yep!  Your scientists can research things with enough detail for your engineers to build them... but if you want to know the stats of an item, you have to build it, go to the soldier/craft equip page, and click on the tab to actually see the stats.  Ridonkulous!  Especially when you compare the original game's in-game UFOpedia that would update with every bit of research, building or piece of gear as you unlocked them, with full stats and fluff text.

Actually, if you go to the build screen, at the bottom left corner is a button with an arrow on it, which gives the stats of whatever you're building.

I only learned this after playing for several hours. An actual UFOpaedia would have been nice.

Well, that's something at least. :p  I'll have to look at it, as soon as I finish this mission.  Finally got my satellite nexus built, and had one spare satellite pre-built.  It looks like simply the promise of a satellite drops a country's panic rating by 2-3, even though it takes 4 days to launch the thing.

I wonder if I'm messing up on the world terror levels... I've been holding off on the base assault mission for about 3 weeks now, and wonder if taking it on will reduce the worldwide panic level.  Oh well, I'll find out soon enough!
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: October 10, 2012, 04:55:07 pm »

I once had a car explode on me... I was honestly surprised mostly because... well... Cars don't really explode in real life and I didn't know this game would be so silly with Car explosions (I've seen long chains of car explosions)

They do explode if the gas tank catches fire.
And while normal bullets cannot set the fuel alight the futuristic plasma/lazor guns just might.
They transfer thermal energy after all unlike bullets that cool down in flight.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2902 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »

Nope. Gasoline lights only outright explodes when as a vapour and mixed with air in certain ratios. Otherwise it'll just catch alight.

Of course in tv and video game land all cars run on a mixture of depleted uranium and trinitrotoluene...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: October 10, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »

Nope. Gasoline lights only outright explodes when as a vapour and mixed with air in certain ratios. Otherwise it'll just catch alight.

Of course in tv and video game land all cars run on a mixture of depleted uranium and trinitrotoluene...

Xcom has it beat. In this the cars are MADE out of Depleted Uranium and Trinitrotoluene. Hense the Chain of car explosions that can happen.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: October 10, 2012, 05:01:33 pm »

Well we don't know what type of fuel he car uses nor how plain gasoline would react to a superhot plasma bolt.
It might as well instantly vaporise and go boom.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: October 10, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »

It is the car fires that make cars go boom and I think some forms of damage... namely the grenades.

It isn't the Plasma or lasers, or whatever else the game has.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: October 10, 2012, 06:00:18 pm »

So I just got kited by a floater into a group of 8 Crysalids.... I took out his two floater buddies and took him down by 3 hp and he promptly flew away out of my line of sight.  Thinking he was the last guy I charged after him and promptly uncouvered two groups of crysalids with him hiding behind them.  They ripped my 6 man elite team apart in two turns while the floater laughed his ass off in the backdrop.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: October 10, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »

So I just got kited by a floater into a group of 8 Crysalids.... I took out his two floater buddies and took him down by 3 hp and he promptly flew away out of my line of sight.  Thinking he was the last guy I charged after him and promptly uncouvered two groups of crysalids with him hiding behind them.  They ripped my 6 man elite team apart in two turns while the floater laughed his ass off in the backdrop.

It would be pretty hard to even survive a 8 Crysalid charge prepared... The best case scenario I can think of is you have two heavy and use two rockets to deal 12 damage to all of them. Or a lot of Grenades.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:05:02 pm by Neonivek »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: October 10, 2012, 06:23:27 pm »

Yeah I had a singular rocket and no nades, and they had closed before I could rocket
Nom nom nom

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

I would have rocketed anyway.

I've seen a car "explode" in real life. Actually just the point where it goes "FWOOF".

I was on the opposite side of the highway with my windows closed (and it was off the other side) and I still felt the wave of heat.

There was no explodey sound or bits of car flying everywhere though.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 625