Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961211 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2730 on: October 09, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

So...about 3 hours before the game unlocks I decided to buy the game because I liked what I saw on the dev streaming the game, and...I've already beaten it...kind of a shame there is a lack of aircraft upgrades/replacements(there is only 1 upgrade for interceptors) and 6 being the max squad...but I guess anything more would ruin the personal feel of soldiers, now to do ironmode classic...although i didn't get any extra options besides ironmode and tutorial toggle :(
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: October 09, 2012, 04:15:30 pm »

Ooh, ouch... lost 3 of my best soldiers and a rookie to a failed mission. And I was doing so well...

Tip for everyone: Take your movements slowly. Don't do what I did and trigger multiple groups of aliens... It's not fun. Well, it's Fun, but not fun.

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know where the config options are or if they added them?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: October 09, 2012, 04:33:30 pm »

Something that's bugging me, and bugged me about the original X-COM, is that only your soldiers matter.  Why don't we know the name of the brave scientist who cracked the sectoid genome?  The engineers giving their all to build high-atmosphere fighter jets?  The black metal bands working night and day to come up with operation names?
Shoes...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: October 09, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »

Because you can get them dozen for a dime, while tere is not a single seargent on the entire planet left

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: October 09, 2012, 04:50:43 pm »

Welp, just completed a playthrough on Classic. Needless to say, aliens utterly wrecked my shit. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find out that I had, in fact, beaten them in kills, something like 29 to 38. That's right, I lost thirty men in three months.

My only complaint is that a lot of it later on was just impossibly difficult, which I assume is because they were expecting me to have a lot of money and powerful veterans by that point, as opposed to a boatload of noobs each and every mission because they all died last one. I don't mind getting punished for mistakes, but it seemed far too snowbally; later on, there just weren't any options other than watching the world burn or jumping into an impossible mission with a fresh squad. I really think there ought to be ways to claw your way back, taking on easier missions until you can tackle the bigger problems.

Also, by the end I was renaming my soldiers to [COLOR] [ANIMAL], along with matching hair, which was hilarious. Admittedly everything's hilarious when everyone's obviously doomed anyway, but still.

Oh, and the armor customization is outright shameful. Shameful. It's a list of thirty preset color schemes. Really? That'd be shitty even if it was just a part of the game, but making it an exclusive preorder bonus is genuinely offensive. There's no reason I can think of you shouldn't be able to just custom-dye your shit whatever colors and schemes you want, within reason, and instead we get not only this, but this as "exclusive content."

Something that's bugging me, and bugged me about the original X-COM, is that only your soldiers matter.  Why don't we know the name of the brave scientist who cracked the sectoid genome?  The engineers giving their all to build high-atmosphere fighter jets?  The black metal bands working night and day to come up with operation names?
Well, we do have the named scientist and engineer now; I guess we could assume they're the main ones doing everything. Alternatively, I guess you could assume nobody's doing anything particularly brilliant, so it's not really worth mentioning.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: October 09, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »

Because you can get them dozen for a dime, while tere is not a single seargent on the entire planet left

They should take it a step further in the inevitable sequel. Instead of hiring soldiers, scientists and engineers you just hire generic people. And then they're randomly assigned a position based on a dice rolling minigame.

"Sorry Captain Badass of the teethkicker paratrooper regiment, you're in the lab from now on. Pick up your white coat and goggles at reception."

Bonus points if there's a slim chance of any recruit being a thin man in a terrible disguise. Groucho Marx comedy glasses style. You have to research the technology to detect them.

You could get a game over if all your employees are thin men in comedy disguises.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:14 pm »

You could get a game over if all your employees are thin men in comedy disguises.

That doesn't sound like much of a game over to me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: October 09, 2012, 05:10:47 pm »

We stopped the invasions by unionizing them and goig them student loans

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13:25 pm »

That doesn't sound like much of a game over to me.
No, John, you are the aliens.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: October 09, 2012, 05:26:25 pm »

I don't know why they weren't goiged earlier.
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: October 09, 2012, 05:32:30 pm »

Apocalypse had individual named scientists with their own skills.  Who could get massacred in base invasions.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: October 09, 2012, 05:50:32 pm »

Yay, just played my first multiplayer game and won.

We played on the self-explanatory level "Bar".  I went with a nice varied alien squad: a sectoid, two thin men, a heavy floater, and a muton elite.  My opponent went with two extremely highly upgraded xcom soldiers (their armor was immune to my poison spit, and they had plasma rifles) and a support force of three sectoids and a floater.

The first casualty of the round was my thin man.  He met a floater on the roof, causing my opponent to rush an elite soldier onto the roof and blow him away.  My heavy floater missed what should have been a fairly good reaction shot too.  Anyway, my heavy floater ignored the roof and lobbed an alien grenade at the corner of a bar, wounding one heavy soldier and killing a sectoid.  A sectoid tried to suppress my muton elite; except the car he was using as cover had been clipped by the grenade throw and exploded.  I gunned down the xcom soldier on the roof with a (very likely) crit from my heavy floater.  Next turn, they brought all their forces onto the roof and shot down my heavy floater.

This left me with a sectoid, a thin man, and a muton elite to their sectoid, floater, and xcom elite.  There was only one ladder and I was pretty sure they were overwatching it with everything, so I moved everything but the sectoid to the side of the building.  That poor runt got sent up the ladder, and took three plasma reaction shots at close range.  But I knew where they were now, so I had the muton toss his grenade into their cover, killing a sectoid and reinforcing the xcom soldier's newfound fear of alien grenades.  Then the thin man leapt onto the roof and fried the human scum at close range.  The floater, sensing defeat, didn't even both moving closer for its shot, just dejectedly missed the thin man from where it was and then got gunned down.

Its really fun.  Oh, and don't be afraid of overwatch; free aimed explosives, lightning reflexes, ghost armor, squad sight snipers, evasive units, expendable units, suppression, luck, sticking to cover, or just not moving into enemy sights all counter it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: October 09, 2012, 05:54:32 pm »

Another important thing to remember is just how the cover of the stage is set up. If you have to go the LONG way to finish a stage then go the long way.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: October 09, 2012, 06:15:26 pm »

Welp, I think I'm gonna give up and start over.

Multiple total wipes, terror fail, 1 living skilled troop, 2 active soldiers... yeah, I don't see how this is very recoverable.

Freaking Floaters. I mean, jesus, they were more danger on the terror mission than the Chryssalids! One guy died to a Chryssalid. The other three to Floaters. My sniper was 3 tiles away from a flying one and the to-hit was a miserable ~60%. And of course he misses.

It didn't help that two Floaters at the start of combat led me to two Chryssalids that I didn't see earlier, resulting in that one death to Chryssalids.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: October 09, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »

How are Cryssalids anyway? Obviously, they aren't as magically fast and bullet resistant anymore.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 625