Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961231 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2700 on: October 09, 2012, 12:07:29 pm »

For those of you annoyed by the whole "I was shot standing behind/through a wall" thing, I think the idea is that your guys/the alien is regularly poking their heads out to get a view of the situation. That is why you can walk up to a wall and see around it.

I am not a big fan of the "aliens drop in out of nowhere" thing either. At least the game is nice enough to force them into over watch right off the bat.

Overall I am impressed with the game. The Tutorial was heavy handed to say the least. Also the scientist chick annoyed me a bit.

The blind experience is so fun in these games. Playing it and making mistakes before you realize you've made them.

I think the best addition so far has been the solider memorial.

Man, I just cannot feel good about using snipers. I don't know why. I just never feel like I'm getting the mileage out of them that I could out of a Rookie who at least can flank with an AR.

I feel the same way. Not being able to move and shoot makes snipers really difficult to use. I like assault the best so far.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: October 09, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »

Snipers aren't end-alls early on; I typically use them as a support for the forward group. They stay back a bit with overwatch on, taking out any threats that try to either flank or just run up to the forward group. Their accuracy is usually enough to defend against random units which would otherwise run up and insta-gib a member of the forward group before they are spotted. Put your snipers up front, and yeah, you shouldn't expect anything more than the need for a replacement rookie for the next mission. :P

If your style is slow and methodical, having a sniper overwatching your forward units when they move is really really useful. If you have more of a blitzkrieg method of approach, then yeah, early-game snipers won't do much for you.

And yeah, the 'thin men suddenly appear!' thing annoys me a bit, though mostly as a matter of how they enter. The game shows you exactly where they come in, which annoys me, as it takes out the uncertainty; which is really the best part. If you just had a radio message "Watch out! Hostiles spotted entering the area from the west!" it would be much more tense, particularly if it made sure they never just magicked out of nowhere in a way that you could see them. They should do something similar to Left4Dead, where the zombies appear out of nowhere, but do so in a way in which their spawning is unseen by the player; be it by spawning in a bush or behind a building.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:19:26 pm by alway »

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: October 09, 2012, 12:16:37 pm »

Been playing it for some time this morning, and the lack of a manual or good in-game documentation is starting to piss me off.  For example:  I'm in a battle right now, one of my rookies got critically wounded.  No problem, medic runs over and stabilizes him.  The tooltip on the wounded soldier says "Can be revived".  How?  I try to heal - "unit must be stabilized.  I try to stabilize - unit is already stabilized.  So how the heck can I actually revive him?

Also, a lack of, well, X-Com's Ufopedia for in-game information, about items, facilities, etc.

Overall though, I am enjoying it (once past the tutorial with it's annoying hand-holding).  Graphics are great and the gameplay seems nicely paced.  I had one terror mission where the aliens had placed a bomb, and I had a 3 turn time-limit to find & disable it; the map had a lot of "charging devices" scattered around, that I could disable to increase my time limit.  I'm finding small moves & extensive overwatch are good tactics. :p
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »

Oh man. I'm finally getting a Sniper rolling. Sergeant Helen 'Zero' Green (Possibly soon to be Lt. or Captain) is just sitting on top of a hill popping any alien dumb enough to stick its head out of the UFO because Squadsight finally happened.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: October 09, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »

I had a good sniper. Then Floaters happened.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »

I have kinda mixed feelings about missions. It's nice that they're kind of quick, that you don't spend 15 turns hunting aliens before the action happens, or 30 turns hunting down that one remaining sneaky bastard.

On the other hand, they're quick. And the endings often feel really abrupt. I think XCOM has an issue where it has too many screens for a handful of simple things, and video crammed in as many places as they can put it. I kinda wish, already, that I could just remove the Skyranger videos, the travel map, and all that stuff. It's pure fluff and it was kind of old hat by about the 3rd mission. There's just fluff hanging off every corner of this game, and while that's not a bad thing, I'm little troubled that I already feel slightly annoyed by most of it after only two hours.

At times the ranging of stuff makes little to no sense to me. What seemed pretty straightforward in X-COM seems kind of arbitrary in XCOM.
Other than that I'm enjoying it. Some scenarios can be brutal, even on normal. You get thrown in a shoebox where 75% of available cover will explode and kill you at some point. It really did capture the "think deeply about your next move" element of X-COM.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: October 09, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »

Yeah; partial cover also feels really exposed. Which I do kinda like, as it means cover which isn't terrible is actually really really valuable.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: October 09, 2012, 12:56:53 pm »

Any advice for clearing UFOs?  I lost a lot of good men on my second UFO recovery because I couldn't set up sufficient overwatch in cramped indoor areas.  Snipers seem useless, yet shotguns are too short ranged sometimes; maybe I need more guys specced for reaction fire?  Shotguns ith scopes?  Explosives are, sadly, out of the question.  Need my loot.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: October 09, 2012, 01:00:28 pm »

Any advice for clearing UFOs?  I lost a lot of good men on my second UFO recovery because I couldn't set up sufficient overwatch in cramped indoor areas.  Snipers seem useless, yet shotguns are too short ranged sometimes; maybe I need more guys specced for reaction fire?  Shotguns ith scopes?  Explosives are, sadly, out of the question.  Need my loot.

Have your very first soldier visually expose the interior, and bring the rest of your team to bear to terminate with extreme prejudice. Revealing the interior with your last soldier is a recepie for making a corpse. Maybe try smoke grenading your own position so you can survive the return fire.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: October 09, 2012, 01:15:22 pm »

The tooltip on the wounded soldier says "Can be revived".  How?  I try to heal - "unit must be stabilized.  I try to stabilize - unit is already stabilized.  So how the heck can I actually revive him?

Well, for anyone else looking for this - Support  Lieutenant abilities are Revive (revive at 33% instead of stabilizing) or Rifle Suppression (fires barrage pinning enemy, granting reaction fire & -30 aim penalty).  I really wish you could see the "locked" abilities tooltip info.

Quote from: nenjin
I kinda wish, already, that I could just remove the Skyranger videos, the travel map, and all that stuff. It's pure fluff and it was kind of old hat by about the 3rd mission. There's just fluff hanging off every corner of this game, and while that's not a bad thing, I'm little troubled that I already feel slightly annoyed by most of it after only two hours.

I agree about the Skyranger videos, but I think they're there to cover a "loading, please wait" screen while switching between the battlemap & the main game.

Also, a note about Shotguns - you can hit multiple enemies.  I flanked two sectiods cowering around a corner, my Assualt used Run & Gun to get up close with a 100% shot - and killed both of them.  Booyah!  (They were close to each other - at most 2 empty spaces between them.)
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:51 pm »

Some awesome stories in here, and it hasn't even been out for 24 hours!  Seems like everyone is fairly happy with it, a few gripes here and there but nothing that sounds game breaking.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »

Some awesome stories in here, and it hasn't even been out for 24 hours!  Seems like everyone is fairly happy with it, a few gripes here and there but nothing that sounds game breaking.

Well the game likes to randomly crash on me every few hours, and none of my caucasian soldiers can survive past their fifth mission, if that counts.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: October 09, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »

My Steam is stuck downloading on 99% and say's it's going 0 Bytes/S. Is it just being ultra slow or is there something wrong here?
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: October 09, 2012, 01:33:53 pm »

My Steam is stuck downloading on 99% and say's it's going 0 Bytes/S. Is it just being ultra slow or is there something wrong here?

It did the same thing for me. Just wait a bit longer, and it should work. Hitting the play button should also give you an idea of how long you should wait.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: October 09, 2012, 01:36:35 pm »

I just realized, looking through my list of rookies (all I have left now): I don't have a single woman on the entire team! I ordered some more rookies, and none of them were women either!

I hope XCOM doesn't fall under Affirmative Action, or we'll be in trouble :o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 625