Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961265 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2685 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:13 am »

1) Can Floaters be stunned with the first stunner? I went into the circle but didn't get the stun option but that could have been because of height.

They can, but from what I've seen it's an issue of height. Apparently stunners can't aim upwards.

2) Does Satalyte uplinks use up engineers?

Nope, the number shown is just the minimum number of engineers you need before you can build it. Which is a good thing, since you need 5 more engineers for each additional uplink.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:42 am »

Played 2 hours. Didn't like it. Realized that I left the tutorial on. Restarted on ironman classic mode with the tutorial off. Loved every single bit of it

Yeah the Tutorial is pretty bad...

I'd almost consider just outright starting the game without it as how you SHOULD play the game.

Especially for that first mission of stupidity.

Also thanks Officer... I can't wait until I get better stunning equipment.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:43:13 am by Neonivek »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2687 on: October 09, 2012, 10:47:45 am »

Edit: Is anyone else INCREDIBLY bothered by how line of fire (e.g. THERE IS A GODDAMN WALL IN THE WAY) plays no role in determining chance-to-hit?
The old x-com had the exact opposite problem :P

That had me laughing so much :D I think I'm the only european still visiting the thread and/or not cowering from rage (this is inconsistent, but that's what happens when everyone else has XCOM but you).

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #2688 on: October 09, 2012, 10:49:20 am »

1) Can Floaters be stunned with the first stunner? I went into the circle but didn't get the stun option but that could have been because of height.

As far as I know, yes. I didn't complete the tutorial so I'm not sure if the "first stunner" is different from the normal stunner you get if you skip. The circle is a bit tricky, I just moved him right up next to him. It took a few turns.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: October 09, 2012, 10:58:47 am »

As far as I know, yes. I didn't complete the tutorial so I'm not sure if the "first stunner" is different from the normal stunner you get if you skip. The circle is a bit tricky, I just moved him right up next to him. It took a few turns.

It should be the same one. I cannot imagine why it would be different

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #2690 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:32 am »

I just realized why everyone else's reports are worse off than mine. I thought classic == normal. I was on noobie mode :( Now I have to restart and play like a big boy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:23 am »

I just realized why everyone else's reports are worse off than mine. I thought classic == normal. I was on noobie mode :( Now I have to restart and play like a big boy.

Normal is noob mode!?! What?

Hmm... no wait that is pretty accurate

I can't say I havn't tanked a shot intentionally because I knew I couldn't be killed in a single shot. (I cannot imagine how this would go if they could kill me in a single volley)

----

Question!

Is there a way to tell if something is used up Versus if it is just required?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:17:49 am by Neonivek »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:10 am »

Ok, picking up a physical copy after work today, and I have a super important question. How big is the day 1 update, and do I need to be online to activate the game after the install?

I got the impression that it was small, but I am guessing that the sheer # of people downloading and trying to install at launch made the download crawl. 

I also had to stop and restart Steam; when I installed the update I got some BS "corrupted install" message when I tried to play.  Restarting Steam cleared it, in case anyone else sees it.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: October 09, 2012, 11:25:08 am »

*imagines XCOM strapping terrified engineers to a satellite before sending it up*

As for download speeds, I didn't preload (and so got the patch with the initial download), and it was giving me around 60-90 megabits/s download speed (up to 160megabits/s). Which means any bottlenecks will not be on Steam's side, it will be on your download speeds*.

*Note: these are in terms of megabits, while steam downloads display in megabytes; so it will appear 8 times slower; speedtest.net displays in megabits.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:28:08 am by alway »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:14 am »

Hello XCOM :D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:53 am »

*imagines XCOM strapping terrified engineers to a satellite before sending it up*

Actually I pictured it using up your engineers in a much more simple way. Namely by forcing you to staff it with engineers.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:33 am »

I nearly had a bullshit moment playing just now. Basically, I was moving my guys up as normal, and then the game just decided to spawn a group of Floaters out of nowhere. And I literally mean out of nowhere. They were only a couple of squares away from my closest guy, who was cowering behind a waist-high group of boxes. The only reason that the situation didn't turn into compete bullshit was due to the fact that 2/3rds of my squad had overwatch on right at that moment.

*Cue immense flash as Floaters disappear under a wave of plasma and lasers*

It was literally a case of "Now you see them, now you don't".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: October 09, 2012, 11:37:10 am »

Oddly enough while Floaters are REALLY bad with that... they arn't the ones that worry me the most.

Dang Thinmen!

I don't have much trouble playing the game (I have a front, back, and mid guard) but wow are they persistant.

I wish Overguard wasn't so silly sometimes. "What? Jumped? Sorry doesn't count as movement"
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:41:46 am by Neonivek »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: October 09, 2012, 11:58:36 am »

Man, I just cannot feel good about using snipers. I don't know why. I just never feel like I'm getting the mileage out of them that I could out of a Rookie who at least can flank with an AR.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:44 pm »

...I like Normal...

I don't have to savescum in it, and when I lose someone it's because I screwed up twice.  I'm okay with this.  My rookie death rate is still pretty high, even though I'm trying not to use them as pawns.

I love Run&Gun.  That plus Lightning Reflexes, on three guys, lets you just annihilate small packs.  Of course if you do tank shots, have fun in the infirmary for a couple weeks.

Funding is pretty damn hard, but then it's still early days.  Not nearly as trivial as "sell some mind probes and extra heavy plasma" used to be, not by a long shot.  Also I'm screwed if they invade Canada and China simultaneously.

Fakeedit: A sniper on high ground with squadsight and a scope is a serious monster.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 625