Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961432 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2535 on: October 07, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »

whats this pre-loading is going to take two days on  my current shitty internet NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm 17 minutes away from completion :)))
* Sirus has been done for a couple days now :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: October 07, 2012, 10:18:36 pm »

Alright. I caved in and pre-ordered. I hope this is good, because it certainly looks fantastic. I really like what they did with the game.
Also often called Boowells.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13:14 pm »

OH MY GOD 24 HOURS LEFT
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: October 07, 2012, 11:14:19 pm »

YEEEEEEEE

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: October 07, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »

For us Europeans, here's a link with all the people that are going to stream XCOM once it releases in America. In case you need your fix.

And with that, I am going to take a few days off from the thread. I can't play the game till the 13th (and that's with real life permitting) and I really want to avoid reading the ending and other major spoilers. Since I checked into this thread every day (even on days I shouldn't), I feel a bit sad. Corny, yes, but this thread felt a bit like my baby.

I want to thank everyone who posted links and information in this thread. And I also would like to thank everyone who posted in the thread. It was a fun wait. Enjoy and until next time. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: October 08, 2012, 12:14:19 am »

So it turns out someone over on 4chan's /vg/ board was streaming a pirated X-Box copy of XCOM on Easy, and I caught quite a bit of it. The guy/gal (not sure which) playing it was hilariously terrible at the game, doing things like hunkering down in a building on his first turn in a terror mission and doing nothing while civvies got slaughtered everywhere, hiding his guys behind explosive crates of elerium, and not understanding that snipers are meant to stay in the back, instead using them to charge forward and recon and then immediately die.

Of course, there were a few things the guy playing honestly couldn't have played out differently. Having a guy kick open a door, only to immediately be blasted by the first Cyberdisc he'd met, was one of them. Another time he had a sniper jump over a railing to a level below, only to find out that a pair of hidden mutons were waiting right there for him. His death was swift and painful.

However, one guy survived everything that got tossed at him. Wei Guo, also known as "Werewolf". Nothing could kill this man, it was hilarious. Even after China withdrew their support from XCOM, he kept being an utter badass colonel, hitting 22 missions and 70 kills.

He's the last guy after his entire squad got slaughtered by Mutons? There's still seven mutons left? Pfff, Werewolf kills them all, nailing one killshot across the map with his laser pistol. Then he panics when a car explodes, drawing the last surviving Muton out of cover to try and kill him. He immediately recovers from his panic and reaction-fires the muton to death, thus beating the whole mission without taking a scratch.

Leave him in cover next to a burning car, right after he's been shot up by a Heavy Floater? It explodes, launching him into the air and apparently killing him. Except, wait, oh wow he's got 1 HP left and he gets right back into the action.

He panics after the rest of his team dies and runs out of cover into the sights of several mutons? They miss eight point-blank shots in a row and he pulls off a comeback win. Granted, on Easy the game seems to actively try to prevent you from losing your last guy in a tactical mission by rigging the RNG in your favor, but still.

Eventually, because the guy playing was pants-on-head retarded, he lost the strategic game and Earth was overrun by aliens, thus proving that while Werewolf was the hero Earth needed, he was not the hero his commander deserved. Because his commander was a complete moron.

It was an experience I'm glad I got to see, and it got me actually really hyped for the game.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:16:53 am by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: October 08, 2012, 12:26:32 am »

On the one hand, I'm happy as an X-COM fan that random, unavoidable death will still be a thing, even on Easy.

On the other, I am utterly rage-filled by the fact that this guy got the game for free and before the fans who actually paid money for it  >:(

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: October 08, 2012, 01:11:38 am »

BEEP! hkkk! Team retarded in posishun, waiting for the release. Release ETA 22 hours.

Who cares?! The game will be out after 22 hours! YES!

In all seriousness, I'm glad that this is going to be exactly what I wanted ever for an x-com remake.
I might suffer an heart attack from being overexcited when the game comes out :p
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: October 08, 2012, 03:10:29 am »

I'm internally debating whether I should actively try to get this working before the European release or get something done this week.

I really should get something done this week...
Entropy is not what it used to be.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: October 08, 2012, 06:22:35 am »

Right, i'm ducking out of this thread until I've completed the game.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: October 08, 2012, 06:59:50 am »

I got up early to take care of all necessary tasks for the week. I have to work late and then I am headed out to the pub with a friend(who is also dying to play) until midnight. Hopefully this will keep the wait bearable. It was either that or take a bunch of Nyquil to knock me out until tomorrow morning.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2546 on: October 08, 2012, 08:10:13 am »

whats this pre-loading is going to take two days on  my current shitty internet NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm 17 minutes away from completion :)))
* Sirus has been done for a couple days now :P

I finished up pre-loading just now.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 08, 2012, 11:21:38 am »

Only 12 short hours before I'm sending rookies off to their immediate deaths.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:23 am »

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/xcom-review/
On top of that, one grenade is the only and only grenade that soldier can carry, so use it wisely.

New mod, more grenades.  Many more grenades.  Team Liberal Catsplosion Squad and Collateral Damage go hand in hand.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 625