Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961664 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2415 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:46 pm »

The laser weapons had very low TU usage in the original.  They were less accurate, but you could get more shots in.  Personally I went straight for plasma because I liked blowing holes in things all the time but I know some people went for the laser weapons for the sheer volume of shots (which is a great way to get early training in).  A laser pistol as a sidearm allowed a silly number of shots in a single turn IIRC.

Using all of a soldier's TUs you would get 12 shots, which sounds amazing until you realize that the base accuracy is equal to 28%.Still, it'll murder almost anything at close range (baring terror units and the tougher aliens, of course).

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:14 pm »

I believe what they've said is that plasma is powerful but expensive.  Lasers aren't too much harder to get than in the original, and are one of your first major steps towards not sucking.  Plasma (both the light and heavy steps) are difficult to research, requiring a very large time investment which can be reduced by interrogating aliens, and difficult to build at the foundry, further encouraging the player to take risks to bring aliens back alive.  Supposedly, getting plasma weapons in a reasonable amount of time is likely going to involve sacrificing a good number of arc thrower rookies and even then there won't always be enough to go around.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: October 04, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »

I always loved the lasers because they freed up so much space in the Sky Ranger because you didn't need to fill it with clips.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: October 04, 2012, 11:52:59 pm »

I believe what they've said is that plasma is powerful but expensive.  Lasers aren't too much harder to get than in the original, and are one of your first major steps towards not sucking.  Plasma (both the light and heavy steps) are difficult to research, requiring a very large time investment which can be reduced by interrogating aliens, and difficult to build at the foundry, further encouraging the player to take risks to bring aliens back alive.  Supposedly, getting plasma weapons in a reasonable amount of time is likely going to involve sacrificing a good number of arc thrower rookies and even then there won't always be enough to go around.

That only reinforces what I'm saying. Once you research plasma weapons, what's the point of using of using laser weaponry any more? They just exist to plug the gap between your starting weapons and plasma guns.

Also, I think that bum-rushing plasma weaponry shouldn't be too hard. The earlier aliens die pretty easily to rifles and grenades, so unless the difficulty curve is very steep or the research times for plasma guns are ridiculously long, you should be able to skip laser weaponry without too much trouble. It's probably something that you should try once you get a hang of the game, however.

I always loved the lasers because they freed up so much space in the Sky Ranger because you didn't need to fill it with clips.

They were also great for base defence, because you didn't have to worry about the 80-item limit in the battlescape. The lasers needed no clips, and as weapons were loaded first or something, so you were pretty much guaranteed to start with them and not, say, 20 smoke grenades.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: October 04, 2012, 11:59:51 pm »

MAGAZINES, THEY ARE MAGAZINES! They didn't fight aliens with K98s and Mosins!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: October 05, 2012, 12:20:51 am »

You didn't give your scouts pistols?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: October 05, 2012, 01:52:44 am »

You didn't give your scouts pistols?

I checked the damage on pistols... and WOW... the starting one is terrible to the point of possibly being useless...

Or more accurately. It may do so little damage that if you were out of ammo it may be better to consider reloading then it is to switch to a pistol.

Rather I am refering to the starting pistol. I actually suspect pistols will be better later especially since the classes that could benefit the most from them, tend to either MORE then compensate for it, or have an ability that makes their need for it non-existant.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 05, 2012, 04:27:58 am »

From all I've seen on trailers and demo's and crap it looks like plasma weaponry is actually not that easy to come by, you need to stun an alien to guarantee it, otherwise pretty much every death I've seen (including sniper rifle headshots) has had a '-Alien's- Plasma Rifle disintegrates' message. Grenades and rockets are surefire way of not getting it.

Anyway my gripes about the game haven't changed since the demo gameplay came out ages ago.

• Only American accents for all nationalities[/*]
  • Forced choice based gameplay (choose to save Russia or France etc..) rather then let player try and handle it on time management and threat assessment[/*]
  • Catastrophic failure in tactical mission isn't catastrophic failure in game, you don't lose skyranger just lose a few meat-shields (minor gripe)[/*]
  • Gameplay seems like an arcade with aliens coming in waves rather then swarming you to overwhelm you[/*]
  • Stupid missions like disarm bomb which is just retarded[/*]
All in all I still don't really consider it a true XCOM game like the trilogy, but it still looks fun in it's own way, I will probably wait for steam deal or something because I don't really want Civ 5 (why would I when I have Alpha Centauri and Civ2)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: October 05, 2012, 05:05:26 am »

I'm really going to have to disagree with you about different missions like disarm bomb. I realise if the aliens wanted the place gone they'd nuke it from orbit, but surely its good to break up the monotony of "kill every alien" missions?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2424 on: October 05, 2012, 05:43:38 am »

Stem-Gel first aid spray. Patent pending.

On another note.......longest 5 days of my life. I have a million things to do to free up the rest of October but I can't seem to focus on them. I've had 2 XCOM dreams which is odd because I'm not a teenager. Sid Meier owns my ass.

Hahahah, I've been thinking about posting that - except you American people get this stuff way early. I mean, can you even imagine what it's going to be like for the rest of the world? Knowing the Americans are just playing away gleefully and we still have TWO MOAR DAYS TO GO?

Also Postal83, that sounds like it really sucks man :( Best of luck :(
It sounds as if you are a bit jealous of our freedoms, I know for a fact that a troupe of eagles descended from the heavens and dropped the exact amount needed to purchase this game. I guess being the greatest nation to exist or will ever exist has a few benefits. You will have to be contect with your earl grey, limes, and bad dental health.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Couldn't resist that. I love posting that picture every chance I get ;) Also, I'm not a brit, and I've lived in the US. I'm rather aware of the "freedoms" you guys have ;)

I had a good laugh watching Jake Solomon trying to sell the game. I don't think he managed to sell a single copy... I am also stalwartly avoiding all the spoilers people are posting, but I'm starting to get nervous twitches from the effort...

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: October 05, 2012, 06:12:10 am »

All in all I still don't really consider it a true XCOM game like the trilogy...

Funny. I don't really consider Apocalypse part of the series. :)

Edit: And now that I ponder things, I'm fairly sure I've spoken to people who wouldn't consider TFTD canon either.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: October 05, 2012, 06:22:58 am »

Edit: And now that I ponder things, I'm fairly sure I've spoken to people who wouldn't consider TFTD canon either.

TFTD was pretty much a palette swap and minor tweaks (and horrendous hiding AI).

Also it's a bit weird to say Apoc isn't canon when there really isn't anything after Apoc (Interceptor is set before and not made by Mythos, like TFTD). Also Apoc was created by the original creator so more canon then anything else. Unfortunately MicroProse were in charge of the art which is why everything had a retro 60's look.

You can't say this XCOM game is canon either as it's a reboot :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 05, 2012, 07:16:39 am »

From all I've seen on trailers and demo's and crap it looks like plasma weaponry is actually not that easy to come by, you need to stun an alien to guarantee it, otherwise pretty much every death I've seen (including sniper rifle headshots) has had a '-Alien's- Plasma Rifle disintegrates' message. Grenades and rockets are surefire way of not getting it.

I don't see how having to stun aliens will make researching plasma weapons hard. You can easily just run up to a Sectoid and give it a bit of juice from the old arc-thrower to knock them out at full health. Unless they're sneaky and have a unit on overwatch (which I doubt, from what I've seen) you should be able to take them out with no problem.

• Gameplay seems like an arcade with aliens coming in waves rather then swarming you to overwhelm you[/*]

That's... exactly how I remember the original X-COM working. Well, it was more like they blundered into my sight-lines so we took pot-shots at each other, but I don't remember being swarmed unless you played pass turn 20 or something.

TFTD was pretty much a palette swap and minor tweaks (and horrendous hiding AI).

Also it's a bit weird to say Apoc isn't canon when there really isn't anything after Apoc (Interceptor is set before and not made by Mythos, like TFTD). Also Apoc was created by the original creator so more canon then anything else. Unfortunately MicroProse were in charge of the art which is why everything had a retro 60's look.

You can't say this XCOM game is canon either as it's a reboot :P

No love for Enforcer? I can't even say that with a straight face.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 05, 2012, 07:32:15 am »

MAGAZINES, THEY ARE MAGAZINES! They didn't fight aliens with K98s and Mosins!

Maybe these special xcom weapons have reusable magazines? After all, the agency IS strapped for cash! Why bother with multiple magazines?

No, much easier to distribute clips and a reloadable magazine. Clearly.

(And don't most magazines nowadays technically function as clip/magazine hybrids anyway? :P )

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:00 am »

Since I am not a gun nut and can't be arsed to read up on magazines vs clips. Can someone just give me the bullet points?

Heh heeh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 625