Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961653 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2400 on: October 04, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »

I've already decided my first guys will be named after GI Joe characters,a nd that I will use GI Joe tactics. I forsee no problems at all :3

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »

I've already decided my first guys will be named after GI Joe characters,a nd that I will use GI Joe tactics. I forsee no problems at all :3
You should wait until you get the laser weapons for that. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:37 pm »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lasers are either not in the game or vastly improved.

Removed simply because of how the game flows... Improved because of how ammo works now.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31:13 pm »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lasers are either not in the game or vastly improved.

Removed simply because of how the game flows... Improved because of how ammo works now.

From what I've seen from the gameplay videos, lasers are:

A. In the game.
B. Are upgraded versions of regular weaponry. Which is to say that laser weaponry now has clips instead of the bottomless batteries in the original.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31:43 pm »

Where do they place next to Plasma?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 04, 2012, 10:48:35 pm »

No clue. Presumably they are worse than plasma weaponry in every way. However I'm hoping that Firaxis gives us a good reason to use laser weaponry, because I don't currently see a reason to research it if you can go straight to plasma weaponry. Well, alien weapons will generally explode into weapon fragments once their wielder dies, but if I remember correctly they won't do that if you knock an alien unconscious. And if all you need to research an alien weapon is an example of that weapon, then why continue to research laser weaponry once you can stun aliens? You can no longer sell weapons, so obviously you can't mass-produce laser cannons for lots of cash before like before. Some of the heavy-duty aliens might be vulnerable to lasers, but you'll have plenty of time to research the line by then, especially since you've been killing the earlier missions with your plasma guns. So unless laser weapons turn out to be more accurate or you must research them to start working on plasma weaponry, then I think that they'll turn out to be more like the Gauss weapons from TFTD (ie. a weapon system that you'll use for only as long as you have to).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 04, 2012, 10:54:46 pm »

I know that Laser weaponry was worse in the original Xcom but that is because it was there for strategic reasons, because Plasma ammo was hard to come by.

But in this because ammo is no object... that makes lasers a lot less useful for weapons.

Also I hope we get a good reason to use laser weaponry too. Unless yeah they do something to "make" you research them before Plasma.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »

Laser weapons in the original weren't bad. They were easily the lightest and most accurate standard weapons and could do a lot of damage. Plus the whole no ammo thing.

I'm guessing that lasers will have a similar role in Enemy Unknown.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 04, 2012, 11:04:00 pm »

Laser weapons in the original weren't bad. They were easily the lightest and most accurate standard weapons and could do a lot of damage. Plus the whole no ammo thing.

I'm guessing that lasers will have a similar role in Enemy Unknown.

No no no, don't get me wrong they were good weapons and one of their advantages was just how wasteful you can be with your shots.

It is just that well... none of their original advantages, except that they are better then ordinary weapons, exist in this game. So it is kinda makes me wonder what they are going to be doing with them.

They could yeah... simply make it so you cannot use Plasma weapons aliens drop and make it so Laser comes first.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:06:10 pm by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:31 pm »

Like I said, the original laser weapons were the most accurate. I'm guessing laser weapons in this one will be the same way, while plasma has more raw power.

Again though, this is all pure speculation :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:20 pm »

It is just that well... none of their original advantages, except that they are better then ordinary weapons, exist in this game. So it is kinda makes me wonder what they are going to be doing with them.

The only thing I can think of would be a hyper-accurate sniper rifle with an increased chance of headshot or something, in return for less damage per shot. But most squaddies will be getting plasma weapons as soon as they're available.

Like I said, the original laser weapons were the most accurate.

Actually, the laser weapons were less accurate the plasma weapons. Well, at least for the pistols and rifles.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 04, 2012, 11:14:55 pm »

Wait, seriously?

Well, that blows my whole theory out of the water <_<;

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 04, 2012, 11:16:37 pm »

Wait, seriously?

Well, that blows my whole theory out of the water <_<;

Bah, who needs accuracy when you can just fill the air with deadly laser beams.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:09 pm »

The laser weapons had very low TU usage in the original.  They were less accurate, but you could get more shots in.  Personally I went straight for plasma because I liked blowing holes in things all the time but I know some people went for the laser weapons for the sheer volume of shots (which is a great way to get early training in).  A laser pistol as a sidearm allowed a silly number of shots in a single turn IIRC.

Edit: plus, they used no ammo, which was a big draw for the folks that played back when you had to hand equip every soldier for every single mission
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »

I liked switching to Plasma fast, except Laser Tanks which I love more then they are useful, mostly because there are a lot of enemies where if you do not cut down as fast as possible they will cut you down instead.

The number of times I used full volleys on Cyberdisks and other such enemies and then got killed by them is immense.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 625