Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961408 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2235 on: October 01, 2012, 05:00:57 pm »

That's a pretty cool way of doing trailers.

The person playing is making pretty dumb choices, though. I mean, who would ever run up to a full-health floater to try to stun it, having just stunned two other aliens and knowing that the arc thrower only does three (stun) damage?
Entropy is not what it used to be.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: October 01, 2012, 09:15:01 pm »

The person playing is making pretty dumb choices, though. I mean, who would ever run up to a full-health floater to try to stun it, having just stunned two other aliens and knowing that the arc thrower only does three (stun) damage?

Going along with that, I know the cover is awful and there are a bunch of aliens around but... seriously?  Of what little gameplay footage I've seen, no one has ever had the squad stand in the open for so long with so much futuristic death pointed their way.  The squad soldiers should have spent the first turn getting behind stuff and THEN asked you how to proceed.

On the bright side, everyone lived through my first run.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »

Going along with that, I know the cover is awful and there are a bunch of aliens around but... seriously?  Of what little gameplay footage I've seen, no one has ever had the squad stand in the open for so long with so much futuristic death pointed their way.  The squad soldiers should have spent the first turn getting behind stuff and THEN asked you how to proceed.

LIES

The first run is one where they teach you why you are the only one allowed to be competent in this game.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:04 am »

I think the message they're trying to hammer home is your choices have consequences. I don't believe there's a "perfect" way to "win" the trailer by design. You can kill all the aliens with zero casualties, but you don't get to capture any live aliens or intact weapons. Choosing to go for the capture should be risky, but the way the trailer portrayed that fact was pretty contrived; they obviously lost that guy on purpose.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:40 am »

Well, I'm guessing everybody you've seen playing has had at least an inkling of what they were doing. Pointing out that getting behind cover is not optional strikes me as a reasonable lesson for a lot of people.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: October 02, 2012, 12:39:26 am »

I think the message they're trying to hammer home is your choices have consequences. I don't believe there's a "perfect" way to "win" the trailer by design. You can kill all the aliens with zero casualties, but you don't get to capture any live aliens or intact weapons. Choosing to go for the capture should be risky, but the way the trailer portrayed that fact was pretty contrived; they obviously lost that guy on purpose.

Dear goodness..

I hated when Will Wright intentionally played his games badly to show off gameplay elements.

Why are they doing it too?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:06 am »

Dear goodness..

I hated when Will Wright intentionally played his games badly to show off gameplay elements.

Why are they doing it too?

Because they decided to help the RNG with the "kill my soldier" mechanic and the consequencess of it.
Something you will probably see at least several times while playing the game if only thanks to totally BS deaths.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: October 02, 2012, 01:01:49 am »

Wait, people have a problem with showing off gameplay elements?
Why? You know as well as I do that if Firaxis never showed off what happens when you do poorly, we'd have legions of whiners claiming stuff like no perma-death, squad members can be brought back to life mid-battle, stuff like that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: October 02, 2012, 01:04:53 am »

Wait, people have a problem with showing off gameplay elements?
Why? You know as well as I do that if Firaxis never showed off what happens when you do poorly, we'd have legions of whiners claiming stuff like no perma-death, squad members can be brought back to life mid-battle, stuff like that.

No I just find it annoying when someone who is "playing" (and usually it is set up) the game in a demo "accidently" does something bad and pretends it by mistake.

Will Wright just happens to be the WORST at it... pretending to do the same mistake in 3 different demos.

If he went "Now capturing aliens is important, but let me show you how not to do it" then sure... except he actually went "Opps silly me!". Heck
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:06:32 am by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: October 02, 2012, 01:08:50 am »

Again though, you pretty much HAVE to play poorly to show off some features. Going out of your way to say "And now I'm going to do this incredibly stupid thing on purpose just to show off" will just make players feel like idiots, especially when they inevitably do the same thing by accident.

Besides, if they did do something like that, they'd just be accused of "dumbing down" or "spoon-feeding" information to the fans, frequently by the same people who complain about the pretending to do bad. You can't please everyone, and some people refused to be pleased.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:39 am »

So basically I am too smart and players are not dumb enough.

Anyhow it doesn't hold up when you easily could set up your demo to do what you want.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: October 02, 2012, 01:14:45 am »

If that's what you have to tell yourself to sleep at night, sure.

And...demo, what? You want them to program the demo to purposely kill squaddies? That would be the same pre-planned thing you're criticizing them for doing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: October 02, 2012, 01:17:59 am »

If that's what you have to tell yourself to sleep at night, sure.

You kinda said it yourself.

I can see through the "mistake" so much that it insults my intelligence

And the reason they cannot admit their mistake is because the fans are too intelligent and will get insulted by them showing off basic gameplay elements.

So either I have to get dumber so I am fooled by "Opps it was an accident" or the fans do to the point where "Ohh you are teaching us" isn't an insult.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: October 02, 2012, 04:11:31 am »

Eeeeh, I don't see what the issue is with a showcase showing off someone doing something purposefully stupid, if only to illustrate a point. The stupidity isn't gratuitous enough for me to notice on the first viewing, setting that up as a specific do or don't would break the pacing up, and most importantly, you wanna convey the general idea of the game, rather than get bogged down in the specifics, so you wanna drive the point that you'll lose troops even if you need to fudge the dice, so to speak. It's not something worth feeling insulted about, really.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: October 02, 2012, 04:20:41 am »

Eeeeh, I don't see what the issue is with a showcase showing off someone doing something purposefully stupid, if only to illustrate a point. The stupidity isn't gratuitous enough for me to notice on the first viewing, setting that up as a specific do or don't would break the pacing up, and most importantly, you wanna convey the general idea of the game, rather than get bogged down in the specifics, so you wanna drive the point that you'll lose troops even if you need to fudge the dice, so to speak. It's not something worth feeling insulted about, really.

It bothers me because i've seen them be intentionally stupid in about four or five videos now. They could have just shown a 70% failing and the guy getting killed because he used the arc thrower guy last and therefor had nobody that could have taken the sectoid out but nope, stupidity was better.

In other news, my new favourite multiplayer vid. Jake Solomon should really market every game he does like this, he's been working on it for four years and he's still really into the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvH2EH5nP4o
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 625