Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961336 times)

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2205 on: September 28, 2012, 12:45:35 am »

Ironman Mode + Impossible Difficulty = Dwarf Fortress Mode no cage traps or drawbridge edition

Losing is fun and I will enjoy every second

This shall  be my turnbased roguelike for a loooong time I think. Modding support is likely to come and when that comes... Well its game over this game will be endless enjoyment

Ooh, it's like if nethack took 20+ hours to beat.  AKA really disappointing if you lose.  Good luck.
(the hours was just a guess)

So it'll be like DC:SS? *zing* (Actually, I have a Draconian Monk near the end of the game right now, I probably have put over 20 hours into him, and definitely more time into worrying about him. Will likely be ending him tomorrow, for better or worse. It will be exciting regardless of the result-- the sort of thing I play roguelikes for.)

Anyways on Neonivek's Difficulty <> Fun point.... It can depend on what you're looking for. Personally I approach a lot of games as if they are challenging puzzles that can be solved in various freeform ways, and it is my goal to solve them. Other people prefer more of a relaxing romp through enough of a challenge to feel like they've accomplished something. Many modern games do well enough to fit both styles quite well-- for instance I'm playing Borderlands 2 roughly 3 to 4 levels out of depth, which turns it into a bit of a puzzle game because of just how much stronger enemies are than me. Sometimes it takes a half dozen attempts to figure out how to 'solve' particularly nasty problems. But there is something deeply satisfying when I achieve it, even if it is by some cheesy exploit like finding a blind spot.

So yes, if you're looking for "fun" than you probably don't want to throw it up to iron-impossible. But you probably don't want to buy a 5x5x5 rubix cube either, or participate in two dozen correspondence chess games at any given time, or ladder in Starcraft for hours upon hours attempting to reach masters. However, there are masochists around that enjoy trying to solve these puzzles. And that is what iron-impossible mode is: its a puzzle that exists to be solved. And even better for our masochistic needs: we arn't even sure it can be solved yet.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: September 28, 2012, 12:47:15 am »

Well, fun is a relative term. I personally find "inch-by-inch" gameplay plenty of fun (no entendre intended.) I enjoy the suspense and weighty feel of the decisions. However, if you're in the mood for run'n'gun action, playing XCOM on the highest difficulty setting is probably a bad idea.

Edit: Verbose ninja is verbose.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: September 28, 2012, 12:58:12 am »

Well, fun is a relative term. I personally find "inch-by-inch" gameplay plenty of fun (no entendre intended.) I enjoy the suspense and weighty feel of the decisions. However, if you're in the mood for run'n'gun action, playing XCOM on the highest difficulty setting is probably a bad idea.

Edit: Verbose ninja is verbose.

When Inch-By-Inch becomes more tedius then suspenseful is when there is a problem.

There is a joy with slow calculated actions and crawling towards your enemy at a snails pace.

There is also a tedium of doing a thousand moves with no purpose but to avoid failure, and in avoiding failure to the point of being dull.

Think of it like Playing Dwarf Fortress if the only way to fend off invasion was rockfall traps and nothing had trap avoid.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: September 28, 2012, 03:02:46 am »

Sixth OXM video is out.

Features an utter failure of a mission, testing the capabilities of Iron Man Mode's auto-save, being shot at from out-of-sight aliens, and imminent disaster. That's X-COM for ya!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: September 28, 2012, 03:51:11 am »

Sixth OXM video is out.

Features an utter failure of a mission, testing the capabilities of Iron Man Mode's auto-save, being shot at from out-of-sight aliens, and imminent disaster. That's X-COM for ya!

By his own admission, sending out a rookie out far ahead without support was not a good move. Then again, the terrain was pretty open, so he had to rush a bit. But he got whooped by the Aliens, that's for sure. Too bad that this is the last movie in the series. Sure, he talked about someone else perhaps uploading a few videos, but I doubt that. Would be glad to be proven wrong, though!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: September 28, 2012, 06:44:04 am »

I feel a great sense of loss after that last video. Edwin will be posting his soon, but honestly......meh. I have doubts that he can replace the sense of camaraderie I have developed with Matt.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: September 28, 2012, 07:21:44 am »

I never really got that sense, he always seemed to be overplaying things a bit. That said, i'll miss his videos.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:19 am »

I feel a great sense of loss after that last video. Edwin will be posting his soon, but honestly......meh. I have doubts that he can replace the sense of camaraderie I have developed with Matt.

You know the OXM guys personally, hemmingjay?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: September 28, 2012, 08:34:10 am »

That video was brutal.  However, the OXM series has reinforced a few things - equipment is going to be a priority, and advance cautiously using cover & overwatch.  I'm thinking researching armor first, and then getting better weapons (due to his comment about his weapons only doing 3 dmg).
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: September 28, 2012, 08:51:55 am »

Nah. Just found Matt to be likeable.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2215 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:44 am »

I don't want any spoilers, or I'll go insane from not being able to play it... so I haven't watched any of the videos. But damn, do I feel like watching them. This is a great excuse not to!

I DID see the last one. I saw him ragequit, and you can REALLY hear his frustration and pain at losing Cpl. Whatsisname...

Can't wait!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »

You just seem to develop a sense of camaraderie watching him lose so many guys.

Code: [Select]
IF U WERE KILLED TOMORROW, I WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N XCOM  KILLIN DA ALIEN THAT KILLED U!
     ________
    /·VIGILO·\
   //CONFIDO \\
   //ˉˉˉˉˉˉˉˉ\\
  // \  **  / \\
  //  \    /  \\
 //  * \__/ *  \\
 //__--(\/)--__\\
//   ( (/\) )   \\
\\  (  /ˉˉ\  )  //
 \\  (/    \)  //
   \\/ ---- \//
    \\      //
      \\__//
       \\//

WE TRUE AGENTS
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER

Has anyone checked out the demo editor yet?  I think I might have to revoke Bethesda's claim of "best modding community" as Firaxis modders are fixing a game that hasn't even been released.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: September 28, 2012, 12:44:30 pm »

While thinking about various armor customization ideas, I hit on the idea of dressing all of my rookies up in White armor and treating them like Storm Troopers until they prove themselves as useful.

Now I'm pondering a Let's Play where the Commander is crazy and thinks he's Darth Vader. All of his troops are dressed up as Storm Troopers and treated as disposable until they get promoted to some better rank. Officers get all black armor.

If I ever get a really cool reward soldier I could color his armor to resemble Boba Fett, and have him be an equally crazy guy who's there to 'get bounties on the aliens'.

I don't know if I'll do this...but it could be a lot of fun!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2218 on: September 28, 2012, 02:21:33 pm »

We're 5% away from Civ5. I wonder whether it's automatic. I'd like to play it this weekend:)

And it'd be awesome to be able to mod in new uniforms, but that's probably a little too much :(

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: September 28, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure the TF2 items unlocked pretty quickly after the tier was unlocked, so hopefully Civ5 will as well.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 625