Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961234 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2145 on: September 26, 2012, 05:51:14 pm »

You mean you never had corpse cake?

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 26, 2012, 05:58:11 pm »

My only complaint on this issue is that map scrolling is set to WASD, QE to rotate, and mouse-wheel to go up & down levels; it looks like if nothing else, we can edit an ini to fix that.

I'm confused, this sounds like the *ideal* keyboard layout to me. It's the layout I'd intuitively expect it to have. The least intuitive parts of the UI, I found, were pressing space to fire and not clicking on the enemy you want to shoot at.

Yes, it might be the ideal layout... *for you*!   :P  I mouse left-handed, so WASD just doesn't work for me.  Actually, I always remap to use the numpad keys for the right hand, unless the game (like Skyrim!) is hard coded to prevent mapping to those.  But with a turn-based game, it's not as critical as a FPS.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »

Believe it or not... sometimes I mouse left handed and use WASD...

I do it by crossing my arms.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 26, 2012, 06:15:03 pm »

I sometimes mouse right-handed... I do it by using a different computer.   :P
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 26, 2012, 06:49:23 pm »

I've been watching some footage from the multiplayer and it seems unexpectedly good.  You can pick any units, as upgraded as you want (with a cost system, of course) but you can only pick six units, so no strategy seems always effective.  Flying units can avoid melee and move effectively but are expensive, pyschic units (so far, just sectoids/sectoid commanders) are powerful but fragile and their powers don't work on robots.  And of course, there's all sorts of bizarre powers getting thrown around.  My favorite unit so far is either the thin men or a certain disc shaped robot.

The main problem I can see is how the game will deal with that jackass who just sits a floater on the roof and waits for you to disconnect if his army gets beaten.  There's a time limit on individual turns but not the game, which could be a problem.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:26 pm »

Well, if you don't mind a few spoilers, check this out:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?140951-Additional-settings-which-make-game-coolest!

It's a list of additional settings, kind of like Civs advanced options. Actually here, I'll copy and paste below as well. SPOILERS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2151 on: September 26, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

Those extra settings... some of them sound excellent.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 26, 2012, 07:34:38 pm »

Anyhow Floaters are easier to balance if they arn't capable of landing on anything that cannot be moved to or is in line of sight. (or if simply speaking... the very tops of buildings are not allowed)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 26, 2012, 07:35:14 pm »

OOooooooooo.

I can already see a few I'll probably activate, at least once I get a feel for the normal game. Greater Good, Results Driven, Not Created Equally, and Hidden Potential are my most likely candidates.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 26, 2012, 07:38:20 pm »

OOooooooooo.

I can already see a few I'll probably activate, at least once I get a feel for the normal game. Greater Good, Results Driven, Not Created Equally, and Hidden Potential are my most likely candidates.
Add Red Fog and More Than Human to that, and you'll probably have my setup.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 26, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »

OOooooooooo.

Those are pretty good ones too.
* Sirus adds them to his list

I wonder if these will be in an in-game menu or just in a config file?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 26, 2012, 07:43:25 pm »

URGH. So hard to not look, but spoilerssssssss...

Still, good to know.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 26, 2012, 08:05:21 pm »

OOooooooooo.

Yeah, that sounds like what I'd go with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 26, 2012, 08:16:20 pm »

I'm not that bothered by the UI. Sure, the "double confirming orders" is a bit bothersome, but that's about it. I do have to echo Hemmingjay's statement. The official forums were FILLED with complaints, whining and OMG NOT GONNA PLAY JAKE SOLOMON LIED BAAAAAAAAH. It's died down a bit now, but still ... I can understand people having issues, but the tone was just way out of line. And the sense of entitlement is over 9000 and that is not a new phenomenon, sadly.

Oh good lord yes, the official forums are mayhem! We're even seeing a resurgence of the "No Poland/lituania/iceland/etc" from CivV. That forum has a large, vocal, and annoyed Polish group, that's for sure...
Don't lump Lithuania in with the Polish, That's almost as bad as mixing them with Russians.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

I'm not that bothered by the UI. Sure, the "double confirming orders" is a bit bothersome, but that's about it. I do have to echo Hemmingjay's statement. The official forums were FILLED with complaints, whining and OMG NOT GONNA PLAY JAKE SOLOMON LIED BAAAAAAAAH. It's died down a bit now, but still ... I can understand people having issues, but the tone was just way out of line. And the sense of entitlement is over 9000 and that is not a new phenomenon, sadly.

Oh good lord yes, the official forums are mayhem! We're even seeing a resurgence of the "No Poland/lituania/iceland/etc" from CivV. That forum has a large, vocal, and annoyed Polish group, that's for sure...
Don't lump Lithuania in with the Polish, That's almost as bad as mixing them with Russians.
hey now we are still best buds and hate russia together
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 625