Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961271 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2130 on: September 26, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »

My only complaint on this issue is that map scrolling is set to WASD, QE to rotate, and mouse-wheel to go up & down levels; it looks like if nothing else, we can edit an ini to fix that.

I'm confused, this sounds like the *ideal* keyboard layout to me. It's the layout I'd intuitively expect it to have. The least intuitive parts of the UI, I found, were pressing space to fire and not clicking on the enemy you want to shoot at.

I've not played the original X-Com, have played the open source UFO: Alien Invasion though and that was fun.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:15:49 pm by MorleyDev »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 26, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »

Not all keyboards use the same layout.

Or to sound picky to fit the mood, other keyboards don't use the right standard layout and they need to fix that waaaah. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Elim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 26, 2012, 03:22:56 pm »

My main gripe with the interface is the "hotbar" for the ability's.
I press overwatch, then the "more" windows pops up and then i need to press the button again. I can see this will be very tedious after 1 hour of playing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:35 pm »

the sense of entitlement is over 9000 and that is not a new phenomenon, sadly

I don't think it is so much that people feel entitled so much that everyone has the ability to think critically and has the ability to see what is good about a game and what is bad about the game.

Sure there will always be whiners who will cry about a feature in a game like they have been personally stabbed in the back and forced to buy the game at gunpoint (and oddly enough in some cases that is EXACTLY what happened)

But we cannot turn our backs on legitimate complaints no matter how strongly worded because the opposite is even worse. A forum that condemns complaints and asks for nothing but praise is one that is simply hype generators with few redeeming qualities.

We had what? exactly 2 maybe 4 pages of complaints about the demo and more then half of them were just on the demo on the basis of being a demo and the rest were simply about a clunky interface? These are hardly SCATHING complaints. This is no where close to the Diablo 3 level of complaints.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: September 26, 2012, 04:01:37 pm »

I don't think it is so much that people feel entitled so much that everyone has the ability to think critically and has the ability to see what is good about a game and what is bad about the game.
"Critical thinking" is an awfully pretentious way to describe complaining about a lack of keybinding.

He was also talking more about the official forums, I think.

Sure there will always be whiners who will cry about a feature in a game like they have been personally stabbed in the back and forced to buy the game at gunpoint (and oddly enough in some cases that is EXACTLY what happened)

But we cannot turn our backs on legitimate complaints no matter how strongly worded because the opposite is even worse. A forum that condemns complaints and asks for nothing but praise is one that is simply hype generators with few redeeming qualities.
No. This post you just made is worse than the Holocaust.

See how that doesn't work? It's not a legitimate complaint if it's blown out of proportion or unreasonable. Complaining about features that aren't as good as they could be is reasonable. Claiming they're worse than they are is not. It doesn't matter if there's a valid argument you could be making about something if that's not the argument you're actually making.

We had what? exactly 2 maybe 4 pages of complaints about the demo and more then half of them were just on the demo on the basis of being a demo and the rest were simply about a clunky interface? These are hardly SCATHING complaints. This is no where close to the Diablo 3 level of complaints.
So, Diablo III is the metric for reasonable, rational discourse now?

And the raw malice isn't the issue, it's whether it's a valid complaint or not. You can be very polite and nitpicky about something you're nonetheless wrong or unreasonable on.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 26, 2012, 04:05:33 pm »

Opposite.

It is either the example of being right on the line, or just too far into negativity.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 26, 2012, 04:14:12 pm »

Opposite.

It is either the example of being right on the line, or just too far into negativity.
Then it's a bad example for "This isn't so bad, it's not nearly what X is!"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: September 26, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »

All complaints aside, I'm still really looking forward to getting my hands on the full game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »

All complaints aside, I'm still really looking forward to getting my hands on the full game.
That! Even tho i complained about the current game UI, its not a reason for me the throw the game away, i call it quirks in my book, the gameplay element are much more important to me, the big picture is always going over smaller feature if you see what i mean.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »

See how that doesn't work? It's not a legitimate complaint if it's blown out of proportion or unreasonable.

No what made your complaint unreasonable was that you didn't tell me anything other then it was bad. I can filter information I can filter out "Holocaust".

Complaining about features that aren't as good as they could be is reasonable. Claiming they're worse than they are is not. It doesn't matter if there's a valid argument you could be making about something if that's not the argument you're actually making.

Ohh we can more then use our reading ability to decipher exagerations. If I ate a cake that was stale and I went "This cake tastes like a corpse" no one is going to complain because everyone knows what I mean.

Fluff is just fluff.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: September 26, 2012, 05:04:09 pm »

I'm not that bothered by the UI. Sure, the "double confirming orders" is a bit bothersome, but that's about it. I do have to echo Hemmingjay's statement. The official forums were FILLED with complaints, whining and OMG NOT GONNA PLAY JAKE SOLOMON LIED BAAAAAAAAH. It's died down a bit now, but still ... I can understand people having issues, but the tone was just way out of line. And the sense of entitlement is over 9000 and that is not a new phenomenon, sadly.

Oh good lord yes, the official forums are mayhem! We're even seeing a resurgence of the "No Poland/lituania/iceland/etc" from CivV. That forum has a large, vocal, and annoyed Polish group, that's for sure...

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: September 26, 2012, 05:05:33 pm »

Off topic but.. for the love of god Neo, can you preserve the hyperlinks in the quotes. Yes I understand that it can be a bit irritating to have to deal with but it really hampers readability of a long conversation when you don't do it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: September 26, 2012, 05:10:45 pm »

This! From everything I've seen, I'm willing to overlook a crappy demo. I know that actual missions and squads will be far more varied, and I don't have any problems with the UI.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: September 26, 2012, 05:29:58 pm »

Off topic but.. for the love of god Neo, can you preserve the hyperlinks in the quotes. Yes I understand that it can be a bit irritating to have to deal with but it really hampers readability of a long conversation when you don't do it.

I never use Hyperlinks I actually just copy and paste dirrectly. So there is nothing to preserve. In fact I sometimes just use quotations.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:32:44 pm by Neonivek »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: September 26, 2012, 05:50:23 pm »

Ohh we can more then use our reading ability to decipher exagerations. If I ate a cake that was stale and I went "This cake tastes like a corpse" no one is going to complain because everyone knows what I mean.

Fluff is just fluff.
"This tastes like a corpse" is not synonymous with "This tastes stale," on meaning or scale; I doubt anyone would have any idea what you were trying to say beyond it's (really) bad. It's not fluff if it changes the meaning, and both specifics and magnitude are most certainly part of the meaning.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 625