Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961365 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2100 on: September 26, 2012, 08:06:05 am »

I don't get it either. It's not a post release demo designed to show you how the game is. It's a somewhat rare, pre-release, demo/press tool that they used at game expos to tease us about the game. It is limited and heavily scripted in order to show you as many of the elements as they could in 20-30 mins(a press preview). People complain about the 5 gig size while other people claim it should be the whole game(20 gig) with a one month timer? How fast do you think that would be cracked by pirates? How many people would complain about the larger download?

MANY PC Gamers are a bunch of spoiled, negative cry babies as a general rule now. You don't have to like everything, but try to see things from more than one angle. Please, be somewhat well rounded human beings.

*edited for clarity as requested.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:23:49 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:41 am »

PC Gamers are a bunch of spoiled, negative cry babies as a general rule now.

Please remove this silly mass insult as you, of all people, should know better.
The rest of your post is a reasonable complaint and I don't take issue at it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 26, 2012, 08:21:47 am »

PC Gamers are a bunch of spoiled, negative cry babies as a general rule now.

Please remove this silly mass insult as you, of all people, should know better.
The rest of your post is a reasonable complaint and I don't take issue at it.

I do agree with that last bit hemming put, maybe not the whole community but a large portion of it, If you could see the mech warrior online beta forums that would just prove hemming right.

PC gamers do take things for granted sometimes we all do it, We don't see stuff from all angles sometimes I know I do it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:23:27 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 26, 2012, 08:24:16 am »

I edited the line that caused offense.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:11 am »

I'm happy to agree that lots of people do whine a lot when they probably shouldn't. But to be honest it's up to them if they buy a game, and if they are disappointed in a game they have bought they are perfectly entitled to whine. This is true of console gamers, board gamers and card gamers too, not to mention people that listen to music, watch films or read books.

Isolating it to pc gamers just because he is upset was silly, and as someone I have respect for was not something I would have expected him to do.

Edit: Thank you for the edit.

As an aside, xcom is a game dear to many people and as such I think it's more understandable people are disappointed it's not looking perfect from the demo. I'm just hoping the full game will play a little smoother.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:30:44 am by Shades »
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: September 26, 2012, 09:02:27 am »

I don't get it either. It's not a post release demo designed to show you how the game is. It's a somewhat rare, pre-release, demo/press tool that they used at game expos to tease us about the game. It is limited and heavily scripted in order to show you as many of the elements as they could in 20-30 mins(a press preview). People complain about the 5 gig size while other people claim it should be the whole game(20 gig) with a one month timer? How fast do you think that would be cracked by pirates? How many people would complain about the larger download?

MANY PC Gamers are a bunch of spoiled, negative cry babies as a general rule now. You don't have to like everything, but try to see things from more than one angle. Please, be somewhat well rounded human beings.

You know how your post comes across? Along the lines of "How dare you ask for better food than McDonald's?"

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #2106 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:11 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:43:57 pm by mikefictiti0us »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 26, 2012, 09:33:12 am »

Having played through it twice now, the limitations of the demo are pretty clear. But that's ok, I enjoyed the actual mission once it stopped handholding me. I can easily see how this Demo isn't going to do them any favors, though. It doesn't do a good representation of the game and if it wasn't for all the interviews and videos I've watched, I'd probably be pretty disappointed in the game at this point. I know that it gets way better than what the demo shows, so I'm still excited to play.

Best demo I ever played was Trade Empires. It was just the first Scenario, and if I remember correctly it was slightly gimped at that. But it was a blast and I enjoyed replaying it many times before I had a chance to buy the full game. They should have done something similar here. Maybe not a full month of the game, but at least let you skip the first mission if you've done it once already and have there be 4 random missions to play afterwards. You still wouldn't get everything, but it'd be something fun to do while you wait for the full game.

Sadly, this Demo is pretty much done after a playthrough or two. Although I do recommend going back and playing it on a higher difficulty. It makes a huge difference and really gives you a better feel for the game, since I doubt any of us are going to play it on Easy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:32 am »

Sad to hear about the WASD, that shit sounds so trivial but it really drives me crazy.  Have always been an ESDF'r and sympathize with the left-handers.  It drives me nuts when every fifth game or so that comes out forces my fingers back to WASD, especially in this case, since I imagine I'll be playing it longer than the average title I get.   Hopefully keyboard rebinding is one of the things being polished up before release.

Ah, first world problems...   ;)
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:52 am »

You know how your post comes across? Along the lines of "How dare you ask for better food than McDonald's?"

I apologize if that is how it came across. It was intended more as "How dare you ask for better food than McDonald's when they give you a free, bite sized, sample 2 weeks before they even open for business." That one bite does not give you a great idea of what the entire menu tastes like, just what that one bite tastes like.
To be more specific, I am annoyed that people are ungrateful for the demo. It's totally fine if you don't like the demo or the game, but it's ridiculous the amount of complaint about the demo.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:24 am »

Sad to hear about the WASD, that shit sounds so trivial but it really drives me crazy.  Have always been an ESDF'r and sympathize with the left-handers.  It drives me nuts when every fifth game or so that comes out forces my fingers back to WASD, especially in this case, since I imagine I'll be playing it longer than the average title I get.   Hopefully keyboard rebinding is one of the things being polished up before release.

The WASD is just for moving the camera off the active character, it also scrolls with the mouse in the common edge touch way. It's a pretty common way of scrolling this view to be honest espeically as they use left click for selection and right click for actions. I'm not really sure how they could have mad a better choice although I also hope they allow key rebinding.

The T and G (I think it was) for up and down are a bit strange, but mouse can be used as well so I didn't really notice it. The lack of a rotate around mouse irritated me, as did Q and E not working initially but other than that and the debatable 'space' for everything controls in game seemed okay. The menu on what little I had access to in the base seemed clunky, but I guess they wanted a select then confirm system for consoles and kept it for the pc as well.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 26, 2012, 10:08:11 am »

Ah, first world problems...   ;)

It looks like you can do it yourself, if they don't include the option in the full game.  Go into steamapps/common/xcom-enemy-unknown-demo/engine/config/ folder, and look at BaseInput.ini.  It has all of the keybindings there, so it SHOULD be easy to change.  Plus, as others said, those are really only for scrolling the map and moving the camera around.

Actually, here is the file: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:  Also, you can go into the same folder, and look at BaseGame.ini - the tutorial is going on Easy mode (GameDifficulty=+0.0), and is probably Easy, Normal, Classic, Nightmare.   I boosted it up to +2.0, and the floaters critted one of my soldiers immediately.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:10:42 am by Urist McSpike »
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: September 26, 2012, 10:50:15 am »

The WASD is just for moving the camera off the active character, it also scrolls with the mouse in the common edge touch way. It's a pretty common way of scrolling this view to be honest espeically as they use left click for selection and right click for actions. I'm not really sure how they could have mad a better choice although I also hope they allow key rebinding.

I don't have a problem with it being default; the fact that it is not configurable in many games is our complaint.  My fingers go to the home position, thanks to typing classes as a kid (yeah, I'm old), and therefore they easily fall on ESDF (where my pointer finger 'seeks' the raised pip on the F key, which is something non-typists don't even notice).  There's other good gaming reasons to use ESDF but that's off-topic.  For me, having to mentally go from WASD to ESDF and back is a PITA when you play multiple games, because it messes with your muscle memory.  Even if it is for just a camera.

It's even worse being left-handed, try imagining with your hand on a phantom mouse to the left of the keyboard, and just try WASD for a moment with your right hand.  It's an awkward way to play.  IJKL is traditionally what lefties use.

Urist, I'm relieved to hear there is a workaround.  Thanks.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:42 am »

Quote from: hemmingjay
To be more specific, I am annoyed that people are ungrateful for the demo. It's totally fine if you don't like the demo or the game, but it's ridiculous the amount of complaint about the demo.

I'm not annoyed about the demo. I'm not complaining about the demo. I'm very disappointed that yet another AAA title which I was looking forward to play turns out to be a cheap console port. Firaxis lied to me. They said they would pay special attention to the PC UI. Even the best game is no fun if the UI sucks. I've decided to not buy the game because that's only thing I can do to oppose this bad practice.

The camera jumps around like it's having a seizure and there's no way to turn this off, mouse sensitivity cannot be adjusted and the mouse movement is sluggish and doesn't feel right, there are things that look like icons but cannot actually be clicked, there are no tooltips but instead a big confirmation window upon trying to use an ability (ported straight from the console UI), upon trying to throw a grenade the hotkeys with which you switch z-levels change, there is no free camera and the whole UI generally feels consolish, primitive and not made for the PC.

If you like the game as it is, good for you, but I won't apologize for havings standards.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:17:51 am by Blah »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:11 am »

Quote from: hemmingjay

I'm not annoyed about the demo. I'm not complaining about the demo. I'm very disappointed that yet another AAA title which I was looking forward to play turns out to be a cheap console port. Firaxis lied to me. They said they would pay special attention to the PC Ui. Even the best game is no fun if the UI sucks. I've decided to not buy the game because that's only thing I can do to oppose this bad practice.

I'm a little disappointed in the UI as well, although to be fair they did add in some nice things. The ability to mouse-over things to look a them, the ability to click on an alien head to target it, things like that. They didn't do as much as I'd have hoped, but my only real complaint after two playthroughs of the demo is the lack of full camera control. My second time through I had absolutely zero issues with the combat controls. It was all very easy and I quickly developed muscle memory of what to do.

The base control was horrendous, but I'm not sure yet if that is an aspect of the UI or just the Demo being lame to force you to do the things it wanted you to.

I guess my point is that you might want to wait until after the real game comes out to make a final decision.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 625