Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961391 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2055 on: September 25, 2012, 01:39:12 pm »

Everybody should totally preorder this so I get Civ 5 to play until it's released! :P

Also, I'm slightly worried about the levels. They mentioned they are not randomly generated, and I've seen a few too many who are "linear", like the second mission. You start at one end, and have to navigate to the other end. There's 1 or 2 different paths, but that's basically it. I guess this might be related to your having fewer people now, so you can't really cover everything and have several fire-teams or so.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: September 25, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »

For those that haven't seen it, RPS provided a pretty good summary of the demo here. They compare the demo with the actual game, or at least their preview copy of it.

Their last line is particularly good:

Here’s what I think, a silly old theory of mine: if you weren’t already cynical towards this remake there’s a good chance the small amount of stuff that’s in the demo would have had you excited about the possibilites the full game might hold. If you’ve been bitterly expecting failure, the fact this demo is, quite frankly, a stinker that’s far too superficial and does a poor job of representing the obsessed, tense experience of the wider game is going to confirm your fears about it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: September 25, 2012, 02:04:55 pm »

That's a good review. Nice to see a broader view of the demo in context of the larger game.

I think I'll do the demo on Classic tonight and do an after-action report of it. Well...the second mission, anyway. Should be interesting to see how different it is from the same mission on Easy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: September 25, 2012, 03:03:11 pm »

So I coerced my bro to download this game and let me play (he has PC from 2010, I have from 2007, go guess).

And, well.

I want to like the 'remake' but honestly, this looks like another complex, classic game that had the 'better graphics, dumbier play' metamorphosis. Not that it is bad game, of course it isn't.

Mediocre would be a good word for it. Above average?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: September 25, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »

I think it'd be disingenuous to all the work they've done to call it anything short of "above-average." Doesn't mean it's the best game ever, the second coming of our childhoods. But it not being the game people have dreamed of doesn't make a bad game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »

Also, remember that the demo is mostly scripted. Theres only so much tutorial the game can throw at you.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: September 25, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »

I plan to disable the tutorial once the game is released, if possible. Thanks to the demo, I now know the controls :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: September 25, 2012, 04:32:45 pm »

I plan to disable the tutorial once the game is released, if possible. Thanks to the demo, I now know the controls :P

From what I've read the tutorial is skippable in the actual game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2063 on: September 25, 2012, 05:51:24 pm »

I always get amazed at the capability people have to make sweeping statements about something that they've only seen the tiniest sliver of. Complaining the demo is small/insufficient to demonstrate the game is an entirely different issue to claiming the entire game is over-simplified and dumbed down. The original X-com's and the new X-com's tactical engagements are in fact not directly comparable. The capabilities of one system do not subsume the capabilities of the other. They are simply different mechanics, and people will need to decide whether they capture the whole X-com feeling or mythos as they perceive it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: September 25, 2012, 06:21:19 pm »

You're basically saying that people are looking for excuses to bitch. Shocking, I say! :P

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 25, 2012, 06:43:56 pm »

RPS has an article up about the demo. I haven't played the demo (and probably won't beyond seeing my rig can handle it) and thus can't verify their claims, but RPS feels that the demo was actually a bad thing. Way too short for instance. Thus, they decided to clear up a few things.

If people want some more campaign footage (at the expense of spoilers), I can recommend four items.

First being a small (and nicely edited) series made by OXM. First video here.
Second being an hour long "talk and play" made by Giant Bomb.
Third being a German "Let's Play" of the Press build. Spoilers, yeah. Also, it's in German. It took them 6 episodes to actually semi-decent play the build. But it does show quite a lot of footage.First German vid here.
And last, some videos made by a Dutch guy. No comments, just footage. First vid here.

As for the countries, so far, there are 29 confirmed nationalities (so far):

Spoiler: XCOM COUNTRY LIST (click to show/hide)

Also, for all you people who go modding, it appears that there are some massive spoilers located in the directory. I read something about almost all game cutscenes being accessible. You can read about the aliens, see all the class abilities, ... I haven't watched the stuff and I managed to get the hell away from the spoiler thread that told me about those movies. The topic was buzzing with findings, so, stay away if you don't want to be spoilered. If someone posts a spoiler here, I'll personally go over to your place and slap you with a trout. I already know enough about the game without someone talking about the ending. :p
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: September 25, 2012, 06:47:21 pm »

The ending is

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: September 25, 2012, 08:26:47 pm »

The ending is that a massive 7 legged spider robot from 4th dimension descends upon earth and transforms aliens into heavily armored taco shells. The only way to beat them is to eat them.
I am totally not making this up.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: September 25, 2012, 08:44:20 pm »

I finished playing the tutorial through twice.  I noticed a lot of the complaints that were mentioned already, such as voice acting, but I feel the RPS article is spot-on.

First of all, they should have just made the entire first tutorial an intro movie, because it felt more like that than an actual game.  If you're still waiting to download it, keep this one fact in mind - that first one is a tutorial mission, not a demo; you can only do the actions you are told to do.  I actually missed the ability to rotate the map, on my first play through, because they disable & hide things until they point them out to you.  The second mission starts the same way, but only forces you to take a few actions before it lets you make all the decisions.

Firaxis committed what I view as one of the single greatest sins in modern game development - no frigging keybinding configuration!  Yes, you are forced to use WASD/arrows/mouse side scrolling to move around the map, and Q & E to rotate it.  The ONLY input device config option is to choose between mouse or gamepad.   >:(  (Yes, I mouse left-handed, and I HATE WASD!)  Hopefully, like with Skyrim, keybinds can be tweaked by editing game files.

While the movement option versus the originals Time Units is a simpler option, I think I like the cover mechanism, and the various soldier abilities.  I hope the actual voice acting is better in the full game, but the American accents on the initial squad (which included Japanese & Russian soldiers) was bad.  I also wish you could have at least explored the base a little bit, instead of only going to a place when the demo directs you there, so we could have seen a little bit more.

I also did not like the continual "click to use ability, click again to confirm choice", but I didn't look too hard in the options to see if that could be disabled.

Overall, I think if the demo was my only exposure, I'd wait until it slipped down to a $10 Steam sale event price.  But really replaying the 2nd mission, and watching the OXM series, I'm going to get it.  I'll probably even pre-order, because I actually took vacation for the 9th through the 12th, a while before I even realized what the release date was going to be.  Firaxis really messed up, I think - the demo should just have been a couple (or one each) of random small, medium or large maps, and let us flounder through.  And, you know, had the option to look at a keybinding list, to see what we could do and set them as we wanted.   ::)
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »

Speaking of OXM, the fifth video in the series came out today. Features the death of several squaddies and a failed mission, which was possibly story-related. Must-watch for anyone who thinks the new game will be too easy or will hold your hand constantly :P

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 625