Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961451 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2040 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:50 am »

The controls took all of five minutes to get used to.  It's a shame they locked the rotation at 90 degrees though.  There's no reason that would be necessary on PC or console.  That's it though.  That is my sole complaint.

just installed the demo, trying to play it now but keep getting the complete install and then it keeps saying steam is to busy any help ?

Exit and restart Steam.

tried that no luck :/

I guess you'll have to wait until Steam decides it's not too busy then :-[

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

that is exactly how i feel right now, with only 100kbs had to leave it on all day to download :/
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 25, 2012, 11:26:04 am »

Yeah, just played it. I'm bothered by a lot of things in it, which is a shame since I actually somewhat enjoyed the combat.

All in all, it pissed me off... but I sadly did like the actual combat section. I feel it might get a bit old and repetitive since I only just barely got a taste this time. I say sadly since the rest of it just seems so... bad... And every bit of it just has that sour taste of Michael Bay... which... I don't mind so much in action sequences... but everything else... no...

I won't be buying this... not at full price anyway... maybe during a sale if I can get it for under 10 dollars. And only maybe...

I want Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds to come back... From what I can tell Sid hasn't actually been very involved of the last few Firaxis games... and honestly? It shows. Reynolds apparently went on to design the slightly awesome "Rise of Nations" series... and what does he do now? Zynga facebook games... *facepalm*

Call me a grognard, or whatever, but I'll just keep on playing the old games and keep an eye on Xenonauts... that was a demo I really enjoyed, every bit of it.

Not gonna lie, at least 3 of your problems could be alleviated by watching some of the streams. Sectoid was using mind merge. Floaters use that launch ability to flank, its already done a move where it launched behind one of my guys, behind cover while the other suppressed him from the front. The reason they don't go in the air all the time is because you can't use cover there. The abilities have to be used before your guy ends your turn because that person "deactivates" after they've used both movement points.

Aside from that, the one skyranger seems a tad shit. I think a goon mentioned he could get back to the base while it was going, but all the controls were locked, we don't know if that's just demo stuff or not. Also, note that the game is on easy. Its apparently much harder and XCOM like on the harder difficulties if you want to mess with the ini files.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 25, 2012, 11:32:52 am »

I'm definitely going to bump it up to Classic difficulty and try the demo again!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 25, 2012, 11:42:42 am »

Yeah, just played it. I'm bothered by a lot of things in it, which is a shame since I actually somewhat enjoyed the combat.

All in all, it pissed me off... but I sadly did like the actual combat section. I feel it might get a bit old and repetitive since I only just barely got a taste this time. I say sadly since the rest of it just seems so... bad... And every bit of it just has that sour taste of Michael Bay... which... I don't mind so much in action sequences... but everything else... no...

I won't be buying this... not at full price anyway... maybe during a sale if I can get it for under 10 dollars. And only maybe...

I want Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds to come back... From what I can tell Sid hasn't actually been very involved of the last few Firaxis games... and honestly? It shows. Reynolds apparently went on to design the slightly awesome "Rise of Nations" series... and what does he do now? Zynga facebook games... *facepalm*

Call me a grognard, or whatever, but I'll just keep on playing the old games and keep an eye on Xenonauts... that was a demo I really enjoyed, every bit of it.

Not gonna lie, at least 3 of your problems could be alleviated by watching some of the streams. Sectoid was using mind merge. Floaters use that launch ability to flank, its already done a move where it launched behind one of my guys, behind cover while the other suppressed him from the front. The reason they don't go in the air all the time is because you can't use cover there. The abilities have to be used before your guy ends your turn because that person "deactivates" after they've used both movement points.

Aside from that, the one skyranger seems a tad shit. I think a goon mentioned he could get back to the base while it was going, but all the controls were locked, we don't know if that's just demo stuff or not. Also, note that the game is on easy. Its apparently much harder and XCOM like on the harder difficulties if you want to mess with the ini files.

Why should I have to watch streams to understand what's going on in a game? Anyway, the first two weren't really complaints just so much as silly observations. The last one was not explained at all in game and the fact that some abilities can still be used after a dash and some can't doesn't make it entirely clear which ones that apply to. And yeah, the difficulty wasn't much of a complaint. I know it'll not only get harder beyond the first couple of missions but that there are other difficulties. I was just comparing the scripted first scene where a few sectoids nearly wipe out a whole squad with single shots. And the second mission where the soldiers can take a few hits without much trouble.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 25, 2012, 11:43:19 am »

Welp, looks like Steam's servers crashed while I was downloading. Gonna be a while before I get to play.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 25, 2012, 11:45:44 am »

Welp, looks like Steam's servers crashed while I was downloading. Gonna be a while before I get to play.

This. fucking steam bloody useless

nice to know its not just me though
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2046 on: September 25, 2012, 12:40:27 pm »

I downloaded the demo last night and played it this morning.

It's enough to vaguely make me want more, feel underwhelmed by mission and strategic options, and face palm every time someone decides to open their mouth. The negative aspects outweigh the positive; they're either hiding how dumbed down the game is, or didn't put enough demo out to show how much depth and fun there is beyond the tutorial missions. Someone really needs to learn the difference between "demo" and "teaser".

So until I know more, this game's going on my "wait until the sale" list.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 25, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »

Why should I have to watch streams to understand what's going on in a game? Anyway, the first two weren't really complaints just so much as silly observations. The last one was not explained at all in game and the fact that some abilities can still be used after a dash and some can't doesn't make it entirely clear which ones that apply to. And yeah, the difficulty wasn't much of a complaint. I know it'll not only get harder beyond the first couple of missions but that there are other difficulties. I was just comparing the scripted first scene where a few sectoids nearly wipe out a whole squad with single shots. And the second mission where the soldiers can take a few hits without much trouble.

You shouldn't, but the entire point of my post is "You'll know if you decide to try and find out". Besides, this is enemy unknown, i'm pretty sure you're not meant to know what the hell the aliens are doing in the second tutorial mission. It'd be a bit less atmospheric. That's kinda why I haven't gone into the details of most of them.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 25, 2012, 01:03:32 pm »

From what I've seen in developer interviews, while they want to be very clear about what abilities your soldiers have and how to use them, they want to let first time players figure out the alien's abilities through observation, autopsies, and interrogation.

My thoughts on the demo are mixed. 

The interface took some getting used to, but the tutorial was comprehensive so after the first mission it felt pretty comfortable (the new system of hotkeys is certainly faster than the original's wall of buttons).  I found myself trying to double-click some of the action buttons for activation, but I quickly realized why they had a separate confirm button (instant confirmation can still be achieved by double tapping the number of the command), as in some cases a quick activation could lead to throwing a grenade or firing a rocket at your feet.  In a game where turns should be thought out and a single misstep can be punished with anything between a permanently dead soldier and a total party wipe it's a pretty good idea.  The tooltips and more info buttons were excellent examples of clear gameplay (the good kind of "accessability).  I could break down precisely why my soldier had a given chance to hit and crit chance.

The "frills" (cutscenes, voiceacting, graphics, and animations) really captured what I imagined was happening in the original X-COM.  I'll agree about the lack of soldier accents, but given that we've already seen people bitching about the 20 gb install it might not be worth the extra 5-10 gb for all of the additional combinations, so along with realtime physics based building destruction that might be the only X-COM dream that's still impractical.  Also, if the game receives voiceacting for the EFIGS + Polish and Russian translations, it should be possible for modders to hack in extra soldier voice sets.  I'd probably be cooler to hear the soldiers gloating, boasting, cowering, and panicking in their native tongue instead of a (possibly racist) accent.  The writing was cheesy, but it's pretty much what I'd expect it to sound like if the original had voiceacted cutscenes (I'd also like to know whether you'd prefer your superior to pump you up with the line "You're our third line of defense, after the Air Force and Navy but before the Army, Marines, and Coast Guard").

The gameplay was the best and worst part: best because it captured the tension of the original while cutting back on the micromanagement (in the original, I would sometimes find myself choosing options that involved less menu fiddling over options that were more strategically sound), worst because there was so little of it.  I had to ask myself whether I wanted to use my action points to shoot or get to cover, had my cover repeatedly blown up by plasma, and got to indiscriminately level areas of the map with explosives.  The biggest thing bringing the demo down was the fact that it ended so quickly.  I also would have liked if the difficulty slider was more prominent (i.e. somewhere in the game in addition to the .ini file), as I've heard that on classic and impossible things work properly (you die in one hit and aliens don't).

Finally make it to a mission... now I"ll get to control my-... more tutorial... on how... to open... doors... and climb ladders... Okay maybe now...
To be fair, opening doors quietly vs. bursting in is a one sentence explanation of gameplay element you might otherwise not be aware of and knowing what scenery objects are climbable is probably the most important element of sniper play pre-grapple upgrade.  Both of these are in a tutorial that is skippable in the full game, though you're right that the demo should have consisted of more than the tutorial and they should be well aware of this.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: September 25, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »

Yeah, it would have been nice for there to be a third more random mission. Give the demo a bit more replayability and it really wouldn't remove any incentive to get the full game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: September 25, 2012, 01:08:55 pm »

Most games don't even release a demo 2 weeks before the game goes live. I guess the mass of complaints will certainly show these developers why that is. Judging by the reviews from the press corps that have been playing the full(ish) version I suspect many of the gripes we see here are not in the game. It doesn't matter though, since so many gamers seem to have expectations so high that a game will never just delight them, but instead just serve as their hobby of hating.

TLDR: Game may or may not be for you. Was nice of them to even give you a chance to see if you want to keep your pre-order or not(or to not buy/buy).
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2051 on: September 25, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »

Only time I really got annoyed was when I suddenly found out that sniper couldn't move and then fire, while everyone else could. This wasn't explained anywhere, and kind of fucked up my plan.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: September 25, 2012, 01:17:55 pm »

Only time I really got annoyed was when I suddenly found out that sniper couldn't move and then fire, while everyone else could. This wasn't explained anywhere, and kind of fucked up my plan.

I believe the tooltip for the sniper says it's a move or fire weapon, same as the rocket launcher. At least it's a mistake you only make once! Also, I'm not sure if you'll actually have a sniper by that mission in the full game, I feel like they added the other classes in for demo purposes online.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 25, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »

It's free to switch to your pistol so feel free to take potshots with it. One of the first ability options available to a sniper is the option to move and shoot a rifle.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:25 pm »

Just gave the demo a spin after downloading it last night (as far as I know, with no issues re: Steam servers). My opinion is a little mixed, but overall I'm still happy with my pre-order.

The lack of replayability in the demo is unfortunate, but I'm gonna try fixing the .ini and try Classic  (or maybe Impossible) difficulty to see how hard it is. Besides, we know from interviews, streams, and other coverage that the actual gameplay will be far more varied than two-and-a-half scripted sequences. If people decided not to keep an eye on those sources of information, then it's hardly the fault of the developers.

I also wish more voices were available, but I'm sure some intrepid modding group will fix that. Having my Russian HWG actually cursing the aliens in his native tongue would be amazing.

Shortly after starting the second mission, that's when I really started to enjoy myself. The tutorial ended, and my squad's life was in my hands. The tension ratcheted up several notches, and it finally felt like an actual X-COM game. I advanced slowly, cautiously. I frequently kept my sniper on Overwatch, which turned out to be a very good thing when a Floater decided to soar over some shipping crates directly towards my squad. The sniper took it out of the air with a beautiful headshot, sending the corpse crashing face-first into the ground and tumbling several feet. Bear in mind that, in the original, Floaters would be moving sedately through the air and fall straight down after their death animation finished. I'm sure some people will scoff at the "action movie" aspects, but damn that looked amazing.

It got even better when I used actual tactics to flank the final group of aliens. My shotgunner was on one side of the building, my HWG was covering the other. Shotgunner pulped one of the Thin Men (which I'm very interested to learn more about, btw), the other jumped out of the opposite side of the building and got gunned down by HWG. No losses on our side, and things like flanking buildings or keeping your squad members on Overwatch weren't covered by the tutorial. If you don't learn, you'll die.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 625