Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961426 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2025 on: September 25, 2012, 10:38:28 am »

Getting the demo now.
Why in the unholy shitballs is it downloading 5.5GB!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 25, 2012, 10:42:39 am »

Getting the demo now.
Why in the unholy shitballs is it downloading 5.5GB!?
The entire game is 10-20GB or something like that, so the engine and pretty visuals for the demo take up a lot of space.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:53 am »

I really liked that each soldier has his country's flag on his back. I was kind of sad they didn't all have characteristic accents, but that's ok.

This is something that has really annoyed me.

Customising a Scottish soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a British soldier (not sure why Scotland and Great Britain are separate here...) accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a Japanese soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising an African soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.

Really?

All these nationalities that you can choose from and all of the accents (four choices) are standard American accents?

An oversight or laziness? It's started to make me worry. If they could have an oversight like that, what else have they overlooked?

Voice acting costs a bomb and there are an awful lot of countries on this planet.

Voice acting only costs that much if it is attached to a marketable name. At least here in Canada, non-principal actors tend to be paid an hourly wage. I have a feeling that if we looked at the budget for this game, we'd find plenty of space in there for however much voice audio they actually have. Less expensive games frequently have very diverse voice casts. There seems to be something about success which makes today's game devs forget how to properly manage this aspect. I'm thinking back to Oblivion, where rotating actors in and out would have involved more logistics, but would have cost only marginally more and provided a better quality product.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:17 am »

Yeah, just played it. I'm bothered by a lot of things in it, which is a shame since I actually somewhat enjoyed the combat.

All in all, it pissed me off... but I sadly did like the actual combat section. I feel it might get a bit old and repetitive since I only just barely got a taste this time. I say sadly since the rest of it just seems so... bad... And every bit of it just has that sour taste of Michael Bay... which... I don't mind so much in action sequences... but everything else... no...

I won't be buying this... not at full price anyway... maybe during a sale if I can get it for under 10 dollars. And only maybe...

I want Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds to come back... From what I can tell Sid hasn't actually been very involved of the last few Firaxis games... and honestly? It shows. Reynolds apparently went on to design the slightly awesome "Rise of Nations" series... and what does he do now? Zynga facebook games... *facepalm*

Call me a grognard, or whatever, but I'll just keep on playing the old games and keep an eye on Xenonauts... that was a demo I really enjoyed, every bit of it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: September 25, 2012, 10:57:15 am »

I assume you guys are playing the pc demo? what are the controls like? One review I saw said they thought the pc control port was bad from the console but I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet.

The controls are a bit weird and certainly different from the original, but I don't think that they're a bad console port.

WASD to move the camera, Q and E to turn it left/right, F and C to change elevation. Use the right mouse button to move, left mouse to interact. SPACE to bring up the actions menu and to selection options, TAB to cycle between units (you can also right click units to select them).

To me it feels like they adapted the controls of a FPS for the game, but without the horribleness that that statement implies. The controls worked perfectly fine for me, and I found myself blasting through the levels with them.
Scrollwheel: does it do something?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:53 am »

I assume you guys are playing the pc demo? what are the controls like? One review I saw said they thought the pc control port was bad from the console but I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet.

The controls are a bit weird and certainly different from the original, but I don't think that they're a bad console port.

WASD to move the camera, Q and E to turn it left/right, F and C to change elevation. Use the right mouse button to move, left mouse to interact. SPACE to bring up the actions menu and to selection options, TAB to cycle between units (you can also right click units to select them).

To me it feels like they adapted the controls of a FPS for the game, but without the horribleness that that statement implies. The controls worked perfectly fine for me, and I found myself blasting through the levels with them.
I was using my trackpad at the time, so I can't tell you. I'm pretty sure that it handles elevation though.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 25, 2012, 11:01:10 am »

scroll wheel zooms in and out... the only thing that really bothered me about the controls was how the Q and E camera rotation was locked... I would have prefered to be able to spin it with the mouse to any angle I wanted... Also, when you're selecting skills to use, it locks the camera so you can't control it with the keyboard, only the mouse. (A and D also scroll through skills, so I guess that's why, but that to me feels like terrible holdover from limited console controls.)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 25, 2012, 11:02:50 am »

Did you try clicking and dragging the middle mouse button for the camera rotation?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 25, 2012, 11:03:50 am »

yes, I tried everything sensible I could think of, including all the mouse buttons plus ctrl, shift and alt.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 25, 2012, 11:05:04 am »

It moves up and down levels. and if you hold the scroll button and move the mouse, you adjust zoom level IIRC

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: September 25, 2012, 11:05:32 am »

just installed the demo, trying to play it now but keep getting the complete install and then it keeps saying steam is to busy any help ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:43 am »

just installed the demo, trying to play it now but keep getting the complete install and then it keeps saying steam is to busy any help ?

Exit and restart Steam.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 25, 2012, 11:09:34 am »

It moves up and down levels. and if you hold the scroll button and move the mouse, you adjust zoom level IIRC
The controls sound fine to me then. Certainly could be worse ways to set up the controls.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 25, 2012, 11:10:28 am »

Exit and restart Steam.

tried that no luck :/
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: September 25, 2012, 11:13:29 am »

The controls took all of five minutes to get used to.  It's a shame they locked the rotation at 90 degrees though.  There's no reason that would be necessary on PC or console.  That's it though.  That is my sole complaint.

Exit and restart Steam.

tried that no luck :/

I guess you'll have to wait until Steam decides it's not too busy then :-[

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 625