Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961472 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2010 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:21 am »

Yeah they could have just had a few actors doing different accents, actors do it all the time, ie: theres heaps of british actors doing american accents on american tv.
They could have just done maybe 5 sets of accents, American (Midwest or something with a hint of cowboy feel but not overkill), english, some kind of terrible european accent that'll serve for every damn EU country, Morgan freeman, and chuck norris Bruce lee for all of asia.
That should be sufficient to create some kind of illusion that theres people from different countries, while also pissing 90% of the players for having unrealistic interpretation of their accent.
They've sort of already put that in, except not for the soldiers. The researcher woman in the briefing has a thick French-like/European accent.

Also, having played some of the demo, I now realize why they stuck with such a limited number of voices. It's cause the soldiers talk in length during the god awful cutscenes, and there's probably a lot of them.

Some other things from the demo:
-Aliens initially drop some things that turn people into green stuff or something? Is that supposed to be like a Troll 2 thing where they change people into this stuff and eat it? Or is it supposed to be like the most inept bioweapon ever? If this was ever explained, then I must've skipped it.
-The briefing guy is a moron who cannot understand "hilfe" and needs dr. Frenchie to translate for his stupid ass. I do not want either of these idiots to say anything, really. The whole concept of adding a narration this explicit is completely misguided and cheapens everything.
-The speeches are horribly cliche and constantly insult the player's intelligence.
-The gameplay isn't bad at all (when looking at it as a separate tactical turn-based game), except it's hindered by horrendous cutscenes and "story" levels.
-Both levels presented are cutscene shooter design. The first is an over-narrated tutorial where you know what's gonna happen before it does and would totally avoid these things using common sense if the game didn't order you to do them. The second is a corridor. It's got like 1:4 ratio dimensions, and cover everywhere along the way. It's just there to present the three basic alien types and give each a short cutscene where they do something and the briefing idiots start blabbering something about them before you shoot them.
-Having to choose between two locations to go to is nonsensical. In the post-demo cutscene, they even refer to an XCOM team as "Alpha team", implying there's more than one team. So why do they send out only one team at a time?

On a few of your points:
1) The green stuff, I don't think they've explained it yet. It seems to me like it's designed to incapacitate large groups of humans, as they seem to appear on all the "abduction" missions, I'd imagine it's to make for easier transport. I'm sure more will be reveal in game.
2)I also don't understand hilife (german for help? If I remeber the demo correctly), also, I found the narration enjoyable, and gave a bit more life to the world. Also, not sure her accent is french, I thought it sounded more germanish, but I'm hardly an expert
3) Didn't feel insulted personally, not sure how you found them stupid?
4) Didn't find the cutscenes hindering personally, and since it was just the first two tutorial missions, I'd expect them to be more story heavy. i'm not quite convinced that complete freeform, no story is always the best way to go. It works sometimes, but sometimes I like a good story element.
5)Again, first two tutorials, of course it's over narrated, it's both the tutorial AND setting the scene and mood for the game. It's first contact! And the second is to ease you into the game. From the gameplay we've seen elswhere, the levels will open up, don't worry.
6) I like the concept of an impactful decission, while I hope they have some sort of explanation for it, I feel it works. Again, just my opinion.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:37 am »

@timferius: I apologize if you or anyone felt insulted. I meant it as a joke (and as long as its bay12 I wouldnt accuse anyone of being stupid).

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:06 am »

It's first contact and things are crazy, but that green stuff, biomass maybe?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:55 am »

I assume you guys are playing the pc demo? what are the controls like? One review I saw said they thought the pc control port was bad from the console but I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 25, 2012, 09:46:18 am »

Biomass? Ok so they've ripped off that other UFO franchise?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 25, 2012, 09:50:43 am »

@timferius: I apologize if you or anyone felt insulted. I meant it as a joke (and as long as its bay12 I wouldnt accuse anyone of being stupid).

Appreciated, but no harm here. I do poke fun at Americans myself from time to time, as I'm sure they do at us (I don't care what you say, poutine is amazing!).

I assume you guys are playing the pc demo? what are the controls like? One review I saw said they thought the pc control port was bad from the console but I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet.

I found it worked quite well. took a bit to get used to, as it's a bit different, but all in all I liked it. A good hint for getting past the confirmations is double tapping the hotkey, by the way.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 25, 2012, 09:50:54 am »

I've played the mission twice now, and I have to say that I am psyched for it. I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but by god I want to.

-Aliens initially drop some things that turn people into green stuff or something? Is that supposed to be like a Troll 2 thing where they change people into this stuff and eat it? Or is it supposed to be like the most inept bioweapon ever? If this was ever explained, then I must've skipped it.

IIRC, from the video that was in an "abduction mission", so I'm guessing it's some gunk they spray people on to immobilize them and maybe kidnap them? Or maybe it's just some ambience stuff that kills people in a messy way for the lulz...

I'm thinking that it might either be some sort of teleportation device or some kind of rapid human-analyser that fries whatever it analyses. Or it just kills people to scare the shit out of them, which seems to be the alien's main goal.

The controls are a bit weird and certainly different from the original, but I don't think that they're a bad console port.

WASD to move the camera, Q and E to turn it left/right, F and C to change elevation. Use the right mouse button to move, left mouse to interact. SPACE to bring up the actions menu and to selection options, TAB to cycle between units (you can also right click units to select them).

To me it feels like they adapted the controls of a FPS for the game, but without the horribleness that that statement implies. The controls worked perfectly fine for me, and I found myself blasting through the levels with them.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: September 25, 2012, 09:56:43 am »

I've played the mission twice now, and I have to say that I am psyched for it. I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but by god I want to.

IIRC, from the video that was in an "abduction mission", so I'm guessing it's some gunk they spray people on to immobilize them and maybe kidnap them? Or maybe it's just some ambience stuff that kills people in a messy way for the lulz...

I'm thinking that it might either be some sort of teleportation device or some kind of rapid human-analyser that fries whatever it analyses. Or it just kills people to scare the shit out of them, which seems to be the alien's main goal.

I don't think it's a teleporation device, because the people are usually still lying on the ground when xcom arrives, I think it kills them, but it could just put them in stasis/knock them out. Also, when you come accross sectoids, they're usually fidgiting over them, reminds me of a spider wrapping it's prey. Thin men, however, seem to be using some sort of tool on them.
All very strange. Though thinking about it, abduction implies they're alive.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:58 am »

To me the things being teleportation devices explains why the aliens suddenly show up in the city, since they can't just be magically created out of thin air, and we didn't hear anything about UFO activity. Obviously I may have to revise that opinion after playing the actual game. Maybe they're a combination teleportation/abduction device? Either way, those civilians are screwed.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 25, 2012, 10:01:34 am »

On a few of your points:
1) The green stuff, I don't think they've explained it yet. It seems to me like it's designed to incapacitate large groups of humans, as they seem to appear on all the "abduction" missions, I'd imagine it's to make for easier transport. I'm sure more will be reveal in game.
2)I also don't understand hilife (german for help? If I remeber the demo correctly), also, I found the narration enjoyable, and gave a bit more life to the world. Also, not sure her accent is french, I thought it sounded more germanish, but I'm hardly an expert
3) Didn't feel insulted personally, not sure how you found them stupid?
4) Didn't find the cutscenes hindering personally, and since it was just the first two tutorial missions, I'd expect them to be more story heavy. i'm not quite convinced that complete freeform, no story is always the best way to go. It works sometimes, but sometimes I like a good story element.
5)Again, first two tutorials, of course it's over narrated, it's both the tutorial AND setting the scene and mood for the game. It's first contact! And the second is to ease you into the game. From the gameplay we've seen elswhere, the levels will open up, don't worry.
6) I like the concept of an impactful decission, while I hope they have some sort of explanation for it, I feel it works. Again, just my opinion.
1) Makes sense.
2) Apparently she is supposed to be German, yeah. But that's a very basic German word. You'd think a guy sent to handle an international organization would know the basics of some more prominent languages enough to know what the XCOM soldiers might be saying (if they weren't all talking flawless American English). Like I've never studied German, and I know more than this guy.
3) Alright, two examples:
"You're our first and last line of defence." - so the armies of the world are sitting this one out? Alright. Sounds like an idiotic buzz phrase to me, though.
"Do you have visual on the crash site?" "Yeah, you could say that." - game expects you to find this funny/quirky. This is on par with Transformers.
4 & 5) Yeah, the first really sets the atmosphere. Problem is this is Independence Day level atmosphere. Like who the fuck would approach an apparently crazy guy holding a grenade and shotgun? You tell the guy to drop 'em from a distance, you don't walk up like a dumbass.
Also, even for a tutorial the first level is pretty horrendous. Like it's one thing to tell you what to do, it's another to have you clicking at exactly the places the game wants.
6) Except this decision only infuences a number in a very artificial way. In the original this would happen emergently, and you could handle both if you tried hard enough. Your hand was never forced through a Choose Your Own Adventure prompt.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:10 am »

To me the things being teleportation devices explains why the aliens suddenly show up in the city, since they can't just be magically created out of thin air, and we didn't hear anything about UFO activity. Obviously I may have to revise that opinion after playing the actual game. Maybe they're a combination teleportation/abduction device? Either way, those civilians are screwed.

Ohhh, I see, I thought you meant teleporting the civis. That makes more sense, kinda like a teleport/drop pod/drop-zone neutralizer/abductor all in one.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:53 am »

snippity snip
1) Makes sense.
2) Apparently she is supposed to be German, yeah. But that's a very basic German word. You'd think a guy sent to handle an international organization would know the basics of some more prominent languages enough to know what the XCOM soldiers might be saying (if they weren't all talking flawless American English). Like I've never studied German, and I know more than this guy.
"You're our first and last line of defence." - so the armies of the world are sitting this one out? Alright. Sounds like an idiotic buzz phrase to me, though.
"Do you have visual on the crash site?" "Yeah, you could say that." - game expects you to find this funny/quirky. This is on par with Transformers.
4 & 5) Yeah, the first really sets the atmosphere. Problem is this is Independence Day level atmosphere. Like who the fuck would approach an apparently crazy guy holding a grenade and shotgun? You tell the guy to drop 'em from a distance, you don't walk up like a dumbass.
Also, even for a tutorial the first level is pretty horrendous. Like it's one thing to tell you what to do, it's another to have you clicking at exactly the places the game wants.
6) Except this decision only infuences a number in a very artificial way. In the original this would happen emergently, and you could handle both if you tried hard enough. Your hand was never forced through a Choose Your Own Adventure prompt.
2) valid point, although at the same time, that's a lot of different languages to have a basic knowledge of.
3) First quote seems like standard pep-talk (not the exact word I'm looking for, but it currently evade me). Second quote is a bit kitchy, but I like a bit a kitch I guess (sounds like something lame I might say in the circumstance, I have a horrid sense of humour).
4/5) I kinda like the vibe, but that's again, all persona opinion. I think the reason he approached to disarm the solider was because they determined he was just in shock (makes sense), although, once he saw the creepy glowing eyes, he probably should have disarmed him quickly or ran the hell away. But hard to say what you'd do in that situation. either way, not the smartest tactical decision, but i think reasonable (they'd have no way of knowing mindcontral was an option).
6) I can see both sides of this argument I think. We'll just have to see how well it works in the end I guess.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 25, 2012, 10:15:46 am »

Guys you are forgetting... This is a world where everything is controlled by AMERICA! thus the ONLY accent that makes sense for all nations is AMERICAN!

I kinda don't know if I am serious or joking anymore... the Medical gun that shoots healing spritzer liquid kinda confused me.

Though I have no idea where I heard about America (or at least an american corp) controlling the world.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: September 25, 2012, 10:22:58 am »

Getting the demo now.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 25, 2012, 10:34:45 am »

Oh great, at least I wasn't the only one that found that one jarring. "You could say that" is supposed to be ironic in some way. Except it isn't, because they're asked if they have visual, and they do, in the exact way they're expected to: they can see the ship a bit further away.

"You could say that" would be funny/quirky in a movie, if they were standing in the middle of the ship's control room and 10 aliens pointing guns at their heads or something. Here, it's just "I wanted to say yes but in an kickass way because I'm so kickass!" But then the camera turns, and you see the ship... where's the damn irony?! ARGH!
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 625