Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961518 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1980 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:20 am »

Well, it was worth downloading the demo to discover that, in practice, I can't stand the inability to do partial moves (e.g. Firaxis replaced TUs with 2 moves per turn, or 1 move and combat, and always having to hit 'overwatch' if you want reaction fire, apparently, and it was driving me nuts. There were places where I'd want to move a guy to some cover and check for aliens, then move a bit more and check for aliens, and then if it's safe move to the final point and guard it, and instead I would have to either do that in several turns or just move straight to the final point without looking around).

It also seemed to have problems knowing what you were trying to point at, requiring rotating the map to take cover on the far side of anything, then rotating it again for your other units which were taking cover on the opposite wall, etc.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 25, 2012, 12:11:51 am »

Agreed with the first bit Shadow. They simplified it from the original, but it isn't entirely a bad thing. So far it still has an X-Com feel to it. Just sort of, a light version? Not sure how to put it. Perhaps when the full version comes out and I can play it on classic mode, I can give a different view on it all.

I havent had to many issues with pointing at things, but it was a bit funky. I noticed some settings that would change the zooming and such, but can't remember what they were.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: September 25, 2012, 12:13:48 am »

I swear I was JOKING...

If there is a Medical gun... I am so sorry.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 25, 2012, 12:21:17 am »

Is firaxis still letting the modders have their way with the game once it's released?

If so a lot of problems will be fix as well as give more x com feel, I can see mine units being modded back in.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: September 25, 2012, 12:52:56 am »

I swear I was JOKING...

Define "gun". From footage I've seen, medipacks are more like a spray, which a) isn't very gun-like, and b) has some similarities to real-world medical applications.

And oh hey, there's a demo out. Amazing what you miss when the intarwebz goes down for a couple days :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:06 am »

I swear I was JOKING...

Define "gun". From footage I've seen, medipacks are more like a spray, which a) isn't very gun-like, and b) has some similarities to real-world medical applications.

And oh hey, there's a demo out. Amazing what you miss when the intarwebz goes down for a couple days :P

Ohh goodness I am sooo sorry I REALLY was joking!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 25, 2012, 01:36:06 am »

Hard to tell from a heavily scripted demo, but I think I might like this quite a lot.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1987 on: September 25, 2012, 02:07:06 am »

Hard to tell from a heavily scripted demo, but I think I might like this quite a lot.
I knew I liked it the instant my soldier shotgunned a floater out of the air in reaction fire and yelled "Yeeeeehaw!"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 25, 2012, 02:14:52 am »

I've decided that I will paint every rookie's armor red. If they survive to become a squaddie, they get standard camo. If they survive longer than that and earn nicknames, only then will they get custom color and armor schemes :P

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 25, 2012, 02:20:29 am »

Hmm I think I will have my squaddies in green, NCO's red with black, officers in complete black
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 25, 2012, 02:21:09 am »

I knew I liked it the instant my soldier shotgunned a floater out of the air in reaction fire and yelled "Yeeeeehaw!"
Aw, I missed that part.

I did, however, manage to get my squad captain blown away by the one floater I didn't kill. I had forgotten to heal him from earlier, but still. Very X-COMy. Other than floaters actually killing something, that is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 25, 2012, 02:23:59 am »

Aw, I missed that part.

I did, however, manage to get my squad captain blown away by the one floater I didn't kill. I had forgotten to heal him from earlier, but still. Very X-COMy. Other than floaters actually killing something, that is.
Ugh, I hated floaters. They may be weak, they may be inaccurate, but the ability to attack from unexpected directions should not be underestimated.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1992 on: September 25, 2012, 03:35:32 am »

I really liked that each soldier has his country's flag on his back. I was kind of sad they didn't all have characteristic accents, but that's ok.

The movement pointer is slightly wonky, but I think that us instinctively trying to click the shields that indicate cover instead of the tile we want to soldier to be in.

I'd be funny if you could put decals on your soldiers. I'd put a bullseye on all the rookies... if they got past THAT, then they'd get some standard colour :P

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: September 25, 2012, 03:49:51 am »

I really liked that each soldier has his country's flag on his back. I was kind of sad they didn't all have characteristic accents, but that's ok.

This is something that has really annoyed me.

Customising a Scottish soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a British soldier (not sure why Scotland and Great Britain are separate here...) accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a Japanese soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising an African soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.

Really?

All these nationalities that you can choose from and all of the accents (four choices) are standard American accents?

An oversight or laziness? It's started to make me worry. If they could have an oversight like that, what else have they overlooked?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: September 25, 2012, 03:50:23 am »

Aw, I missed that part.

Ugh, I hated floaters. They may be weak, they may be inaccurate, but the ability to attack from unexpected directions should not be underestimated.

Yeah, I had a floater suppress the guy at the back of my squad then one used his launch ability to get behind everyone. I used run and gun to flank him, but if I didn't have an assault of if I had already used that, it would have been pretty bad.

Edit: The game's already 20 gig dude, they may have left it out because of that.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 625