Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961562 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1965 on: September 24, 2012, 05:45:19 pm »

Jesus, 5 gigs for a demo?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: September 24, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »

Jesus, 5 gigs for a demo?

Yeah, it shows several of the major elements of the 20 gig game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1967 on: September 24, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »

It runs on my computer, but I do hope they give us the option of turning down the graphics even further. I could do with a few extra FPSs.

I enjoyed the demo quite a bit, but single tactical engagements are not my thing. I need to feel attached to my little guys so I feel bad when they die! I have to say I like the streamlined tactical decisions, as opposed to TUs. Am getting worried that some missions will start being "move overwatch, move overwatch, move overwatch" and so forth :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: September 24, 2012, 06:02:29 pm »

I imagine that's what a lot of the specialized missions are there for. If your whole goal is to save a top-ranking official, taking a very safe methodological approach will generally result in a failed mission.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »

The first mission does elude to chryssalids though, so there's that.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:17 pm »

Am getting worried that some missions will start being "move overwatch, move overwatch, move overwatch" and so forth :P
Yeah, but let's face it- the originals kind of had that issue also.

I imagine that's what a lot of the specialized missions are there for. If your whole goal is to save a top-ranking official, taking a very safe methodological approach will generally result in a failed mission.
Plus this, hopefully.

Speaking of which, are we clear on how missions are designated/generated? Are random nonstory missions always defeat all enemies, or do they show up with alternate objectives as well?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: September 24, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »

Am getting worried that some missions will start being "move overwatch, move overwatch, move overwatch" and so forth :P
Yeah, but let's face it- the originals kind of had that issue also.
Yeah; in the original, I would only move 1 per turn, bunny hopping them from cover to cover one at a time so the rest could overwatch.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: September 24, 2012, 08:04:12 pm »

Is it already out?  Did I miss my chance to get the squad color customization?  Because that seemed like something that'd have to be in by default, I mean what the hell?  Color customization is a premium feature in an XCOM game?
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: September 24, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »

Is it already out?  Did I miss my chance to get the squad color customization?  Because that seemed like something that'd have to be in by default, I mean what the hell?  Color customization is a premium feature in an XCOM game?

Comes out in two weeks. Demo is out now.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: September 24, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »

after checking out the demo, all i can say is thank god for xenonauts
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:58:24 pm by TripJack »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »

The demo was fine. Ran fine, loaded fine, played fine.

I played a few times, and its possible to really mess up the second mission. My first run through was flawless, second run through I injured three of my guys.

I did notice a bug, I noticed that both you and the enemy can shoot through walls in specific circumstances, seems to be when you are really close to a corner or window.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »

The cutaway effect is a little jarring. I probably just need to get used to it, but it feels funky, like the timing of it. If your "zoom" level is near the level of a thing you want your dude to walk across (like the roof a building) it gets all higgly piggly.

I feel like there's a wee bit too much "Gee whiz!" going on, which to me is a lot of graphical snazziness, effects and window dressing for what are relatively simple things. For example, all the targeting visuals are a little overkill. The base struck me that way too, but that probably had to do with the fact the demo let's you do fuck all except look at it from a distance.

That said, when they finally took the training wheels off, I enjoyed myself. I look forward to getting to know the game better.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: September 24, 2012, 10:12:06 pm »

So how's the game audio-wise?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: September 24, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »

Pretty good. Ambiance seemed good, voices were fine, and the music fit just fine.

I have to say, I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on the full game after that!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: September 24, 2012, 11:03:15 pm »

Curses, the demo did just enough to make me feel like i had the game, then took it all away from me!
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 625