Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961673 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1845 on: September 20, 2012, 05:19:25 am »

They might also do that thing where they release it for free, but not until a fair amount of time has passed.

Also, bizarre thought of the day: This game is probably going to have an expansion. Games do tend to do that, but for some reason that's just really weird to me in this case.

As it's a Steam release, I'd expect to see the pre-order DLC available for somewhere in the region of £1.59/$1.99 like they did with the Civilization V pre-order bonus content.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: September 20, 2012, 06:13:54 am »

No. It couldn't have. There was no mention in the original X-Com of this and there was no trace of any improvised alien technologies. Compare with Apocalypse where you've got elerium-based technology everywhere and even sectoid-human hybrids. Making a prequel that contradicts the proper series is just sloppy writing.

No no no... The Improvised weaponry wasn't improvised alien technologies but improvised real life technologies. For example the Flame Grenades were very much possible using the technology of the time but weren't practical so no one would make any instead of just an ordinary grenade... However against oil based amourpheous blobs of alien origin it is excellent. Thus all the weaponry is improvised technology against unknown enemies. (Ohhh it would have been so awsome if the final tier of weapons... were the starting weapons and equipment of the original Xcom)

Plus they had a excellent reasons, before they showed its more silly side, as to why there wouldn't be any trace once Xcom started.

It would make it a much better Xcom shooter then the ACTUAL Xcom shooter... well... until the game became more like Mass Effect
What excellent reasons? I must've missed them.

So you're saying NONE of the technologies used against the aliens in the prequel were considered practical against the ones later (or human beings in general)? Like I'm pretty sure I saw bipedal aliens in the gameplay vids that turned the game into a cover shooter. You'd think whatever they devised to fight these shits would prove sort of useful later on. Even against other human beings. There was a thing called the Cold War supposed to be going on, you'd think someone would use the technologies as leverage later on. So like 40-50 years between the wars and these idiots lose all the technologies rather than developing something based on them?

In Apocalypse you had laser sniper rifles, plasma pistols, limited psionics, vehicle-mounted plasma weapons, anti-gravity elevators, corporations manufacturing power armour and flying power armour. All things from the first alien war.

Also note how it's called the first alien war, indicating there wasn't a zeroth alien war.

I'd just picture it as similair to the ending of Indian Jones: Raiders.

"So, what happened to all the equipment now that the alien menace is thwarted?
We have top men reseraching the practicle applications of the technology.
Who?
Top... Men"
*Queue warehouse of alien tech in the dessert*

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: September 20, 2012, 07:09:19 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjh9YdqwU4 - Half hour of footage, courtesy of PCGamer.

Yes, I was screaming at my screen the entire match. >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6nIgJd7vy8 - Unedited playthrough of a bomb disposal mission. This one is played by someone who seems to actually know what they're doing. Yes, i'm confused too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:12:42 am by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:01 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjh9YdqwU4 - Half hour of footage, courtesy of PCGamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6nIgJd7vy8 - Unedited playthrough of a bomb disposal mission. This one is played by someone who seems to actually know what they're doing. Yes, i'm confused too.

Multiplayer? *sigh* - let's hope barely any time was spent on it so as not to detract from the main game.

And why are you confused? Is it about the mission type? There are apparently a few different mission types to be played, including 'search and rescue' style ones etc. Just adds to the flavour!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25:50 am »

Multiplayer? *sigh* - let's hope barely any time was spent on it so as not to detract from the main game.

And why are you confused? Is it about the mission type? There are apparently a few different mission types to be played, including 'search and rescue' style ones etc. Just adds to the flavour!

Multiplayer looks really sweet actually, from everything i've seen of the multiplayer, its basically just "here's some points, buy units, kill eachother". It functions pretty much like single player, don't worry.

I was confused at the guy being good. I'm really tempted to spend the rest of my day tracking down every video of people playing the game. I think there has been only a couple where the player hasn't been stupid while playing the game. For example, in the multiplayer link I just posted, they didn't know the controls to make flight work, they ignored the on screen text and they didn't use any of the PSI abilities. Gaaahhhhhhh

Still, don't hate on multiplayer without looking at it. It looks really quite good. When played by two people who know how to play the game, its nail biting. This is the match i'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJPwC-p-Gcs
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:44:55 am by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: September 20, 2012, 07:33:00 am »

So you're saying NONE of the technologies used against the aliens in the prequel were considered practical against the ones later

Exactly. Other then the practical weapons, which would have been long since outdated, the weapons would not have been practical against the Xcom aliens.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: September 20, 2012, 07:45:27 am »

A lack of multiplayer, especially considering how very much fun multiplayer was when someone managed to build one, was one of the primary failings of the original, imo.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: September 20, 2012, 08:14:43 am »

So you're saying NONE of the technologies used against the aliens in the prequel were considered practical against the ones later

Exactly. Other then the practical weapons, which would have been long since outdated, the weapons would not have been practical against the Xcom aliens.
...what? How do weapons based on alien technology become outdated compared to clunky versions of modern weapons? They also fought armed bipeds in the stupid FPS. If a weapon is good against one biped, it can be good against others, especially when you're in the 50s and get a hold of alien technology that's way more advanced than the shit you're using.

And again, in X-Com 1 we have the first Alien War. Not the second. The events of the stupid FPS couldn't have happened because they are never brought up.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:16:46 am by Virtz »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: September 20, 2012, 08:17:15 am »

Obviously the stupid FPS was covered up. Hense why it was never referenced.

As well this was BEFORE I heard about any "alien technology"... mind you as I said... if the final stage of weapons was the starting weapons of the first Xcom it would be genius.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:17 am »

I might have missed something - but is XCom: Enemy Unknown following on from an alien invasion that happened in the past?

I thought it was about the first invasion, no previous history, with the unit set up 'just in case' similar to an Area 51 style thing?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: September 20, 2012, 08:36:55 am »

I might have missed something - but is XCom: Enemy Unknown following on from an alien invasion that happened in the past?

I thought it was about the first invasion, no previous history, with the unit set up 'just in case' similar to an Area 51 style thing?

I was just talking about how I thought the shooter for Xcom, the one that is currently having development problems, could have worked as a prequil to the original Xcom.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: September 20, 2012, 08:38:18 am »

Obviously the stupid FPS was covered up. Hense why it was never referenced.

As well this was BEFORE I heard about any "alien technology"... mind you as I said... if the final stage of weapons was the starting weapons of the first Xcom it would be genius.
How do you cover up a war with aliens from another world? Are these aliens really supposed to be this impotent? Like they only ever showed up in the 50s USA and got beaten back by the FBI with colts and tommy guns? Seriously?

And no, that would still show a stagnation in technological development. Like 40 years and they've come up with nothing new? In the Cold War arms race?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:25 am »

that would still show a stagnation in technological development

Actually that did happen... in real life.

Like they only ever showed up in the 50s USA and got beaten back by the FBI with colts and tommy guns? Seriously?

Tommyguns and whatever they could make that would combat the aliens more effectively. Their alien nature working against them, which would make sense.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:51:03 am by Neonivek »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: September 20, 2012, 08:50:19 am »

If anyone wants footage (both spoiler singleplayer and multiplayer), you might want to head over here. SayuriUliana is collecting all the footage there. Written articles too.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: September 20, 2012, 08:55:18 am »

Think of it as not a proper war, something more like Apcolypse where it really only seems to effect one small part of the world, and things are dealt with in the course of months, and none of it seems that unreasonable. No super weapons to develop against other alien types, just a limited amount of improvisation in a couple months, and the skirmish has been dealt with and the weird things held back, and the world itself decides to form an organization just in case something like this happens again.

It could simply be that it was never a proper war, simple the a few battles that made us realize dangerous stuff is out there.

(Of course, it's been fifty years, so it's not like X-Com would be super well funded anymore knowing the world govs, and if it was local most govs wouldn't even have personal experience. Who's to say X-Com wasn't doing research the whole time, though, and that's where many of our current advances in things like computing and such come from? And the troop delivery vehicle!)
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 625