Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961754 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1770 on: September 13, 2012, 03:11:19 pm »

I can't drive, have never fired a gun in my life, and would probably panic at the first sign of trouble.

If you need a rookie for your raid, I'm perfect for the job!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 13, 2012, 04:02:48 pm »

I'll put on 5 layers of kevlar for the raid. You need someone to be the bullet magnet.

As a bonus, here is another video. Just shows some side-by-side comparisons of the old and new XCOM.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:51 pm »

Has there been talk of a Men in Black mod?  Because there should be a Men in Black mod.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 13, 2012, 10:30:09 pm »

What would that be? Lower panic gain and higher income that can't be taken away? Easy mode basically?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:37 pm »

What would that be? Lower panic gain and higher income that can't be taken away? Easy mode basically?

I would think you'd get more income but if your panic (Or replace with alien awareness) levels get too high you get shutdown. Maybe damage done on the tactical map translates into more panic/awareness.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »

Sounds almost impossible, judging by my original XCOM tactic of removing all cover when Chryssalids (or their keepers) are spotted in a city. Remember, kids, you can't hide a zombie behind a rocket crater!  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: September 13, 2012, 11:35:57 pm »

Well, I always thought the war in the original was concealed from the general population.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 13, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »

That...would be difficult, considering the number of times Rio de Janeiro gets blown up.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: September 13, 2012, 11:38:34 pm »

I don't think the game touched on that very much. It was implied, of course, considering how every major nation was supporting X-COM, and the aliens rarely attacked populated areas, but never out-right stated IIRC.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:18 am »

Aliens possibly hiding inside a building? Blow the building to smithereens! Aliens possibly hiding in any of 20 buildings? Flatten them all!

Hopefully we still have autocannons capable of rapid-firing high explosives. :P

XCom blew up your house? Insurance should cover that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: September 14, 2012, 12:39:44 am »

I would think you'd get more income but if your panic (Or replace with alien awareness) levels get too high you get shutdown. Maybe damage done on the tactical map translates into more panic/awareness.

Well. I would assume that is how it works in the game already. But the thing is, cant the men in black just wipe the memories of anyone who sees anything, so that there would be no panic or awareness at all?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: September 14, 2012, 03:06:24 am »

Well. I would assume that is how it works in the game already. But the thing is, cant the men in black just wipe the memories of anyone who sees anything, so that there would be no panic or awareness at all?
Presumably their wider-scale containment efforts have limitations and costs associated with them, which is why things occasionally get out. It's one thing to wipe some guy's memory of a green man giving him the finger, kind of another to wipe and replace the memories of everyone who had an alien murder their wife and three neighbors and take several shots at them before secret agents leveled their house to kill it, plus everyone who heard anything from them through any channel before said agents could contain the situation.

And that's not even considering if you lose the Skyranger.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: September 14, 2012, 03:12:54 am »

Well, if they all get turned into zombies, you can just leave the zombie corpses around, remove the UFO and other alien corpses, and the matter will take care of itself when the reporters are allowed in and spot the bullet-ridden zombie corpses.

Of course, the reporters may ask why three square blocks were leveled to deal with a few zombies. But the Internets will probably answer that for them by supposing the existence of a lot more zombies which were flat out vaporized.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: September 14, 2012, 03:43:54 am »

Aliens possibly hiding inside a building? Blow the building to smithereens! Aliens possibly hiding in any of 20 buildings? Flatten them all!

Hopefully we still have autocannons capable of rapid-firing high explosives. :P

XCom blew up your house? Insurance should cover that.

Unfortunately for that tactic, like with the original, you can take out all of the walls of a building but the roof and upper or lower floors will remain. So no squashy aliens.

It doesn't have in-depth physics there - which has been confirmed by a Dev.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: September 14, 2012, 06:20:27 am »

That...would be difficult, considering the number of times Rio de Janeiro gets blown up.

I always thought that they only attack rural areas and in such small numbers that it's easy to conceal. It is a small-scale war, no matter how you see it. More so in the new game, since there are only a few squad members and hostiles in a mission. I think novels and official texts in manuals could confirm that plot-wise, the war was secret to ensure there's no world-wide panic.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 625