Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961756 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1755 on: September 13, 2012, 04:59:28 am »

X-COM rookies
:P

Also, this thread is making me want to do an X-COM LP again. Arguably silly with the newer one coming out in a month, though.
Hm... I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how well a community game of x-com would go? Pass it to the next person each month or so.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:36 am »

X-COM rookies

Also, this thread is making me want to do an X-COM LP again. Arguably silly with the newer one coming out in a month, though.
Hm... I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how well a community game of x-com would go? Pass it to the next person each month or so.

Imagine a completely multiplayer XCom?

Imagine 6 players with each player taking control of one of the 6 inhabited world continents - Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Australasia. Each player would head up XCom for that area, would conduct research individually, share the results, share resources, request reinforcements from other players etc. in order to work together to beat the alien threat.

It would all be friendly until someone completes a research project and decides to hold it back in order to use it to bargain for some more recruits from another continent. You'd then get little terrestrial wars, insurgents and spies from neighbouring continents looking to steal research data to help them as they fall, data that one XCom agency isn't sharing...

The player would have to decide whether it's best to go it alone, or bend over backwards to help their human allies etc.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: September 13, 2012, 08:26:25 am »

X-COM rookies

Imagine a completely multiplayer XCom?

Imagine 6 players with each player taking control of one of the 6 inhabited world continents - Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Australasia. Each player would head up XCom for that area, would conduct research individually, share the results, share resources, request reinforcements from other players etc. in order to work together to beat the alien threat.

It would all be friendly until someone completes a research project and decides to hold it back in order to use it to bargain for some more recruits from another continent. You'd then get little terrestrial wars, insurgents and spies from neighbouring continents looking to steal research data to help them as they fall, data that one XCom agency isn't sharing...

The player would have to decide whether it's best to go it alone, or bend over backwards to help their human allies etc.

Multiplayer XCOM might be hard, multiplayer Apocalypse though is a different question. I was thinking that if I were to remake Apoc and add in multiplayer that I would allow players to control different corporations, also the gameplay would turn into more like Syndicate with random alien invasion.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: September 13, 2012, 10:18:39 am »

Rock Paper Shotgun has their first impressions online. They played 40 hours of the game, they say. Read all about it here.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:33 am »

Kilroy, that's awesome.

Neo: sorry, I didn't mean to imply you haven't played in awhile, I've read this entire thread and am aware you still play.  I'm just saying that the amount of criticism you heap upon the new version seems unwarranted given that the original had just as many silly elements to it.  The difference is that you've embraced (the rose-colored glasses) the silly elements in the original - which really did make it a great game -, but you seem unwilling to do the same for the remake.  In any case, the new game has a lot to live up to.  I hope it meets my expectations, and exceeds yours.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:28 am »

OXM has a 15 minute playthrough from the begining of a new campaign. They played on Classic Difficulty. You can find the three parts below.

Need I remind you all that there will be SPOILERS?

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

Also, a small video by Joystiq.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:50:05 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 13, 2012, 11:36:47 am »

I hope it meets my expectations, and exceeds yours.

Ehh I am sure gameplay wise it is fine. Even the pictures of the bases looks great (Except for odd Synergy bonuses) and that they were strongly keeping the original is fine.

Outside of Aestetics the only concern I have is the aliens. The Mythos the Xcoms were able to build.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 13, 2012, 01:10:10 pm »

OXM has a 15 minute playthrough from the begining of a new campaign. They played on Classic Difficulty. You can find the three parts below.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

Chunky, noooo :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »

Can't watch videos at work, but the RPS article was good. Just makes me want to play the game more, now.

Guess I'll have to settle for playing the original some more.

And I'm totally up for reading/participating in an LP of the original for those thinking of starting one up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: September 13, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

I'd love to start one, but
A) LPs and I are a bad habit
B) I've got plenty of other stuff going on already

But yeah, if someone wants to put one together I'd definitely watch it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 13, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

Those videos allayed any fears I had about the game. I am hiring a crew to raid a shipment of copies of the game if anyone is interested.

Legal Disclaimer: not really
Edit: Anyone know how to self induce a precise  3.5 week coma?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:43:14 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 13, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »

i know my way around demolitions and small fire arms, i can drive a Hum-vee, british, american and israelies tanks and i will happily crash trucks if it gets me XCOM earlier. please hire me.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 13, 2012, 02:53:21 pm »

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

Those videos allayed any fears I had about the game. I am hiring a crew to raid a shipment of copies of the game if anyone is interested.

But we're going to pay for the copies that we raid, right? Otherwise, it's PIRACY!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 13, 2012, 02:54:06 pm »

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

But we're going to pay for the copies that we raid, right? Otherwise, it's PIRACY!
Of course! We'll each leave some money by the wreckage of the truck.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: September 13, 2012, 02:55:41 pm »

I am able to be as critical as I want to the game. As I couldn't get it if I wanted to.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 625