Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961776 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1725 on: September 12, 2012, 03:39:22 pm »

Rockets now have a visible AoE so even if you miss you can still damage your target and now the surrounding.

Yeah, I guess you shoot the ground. Not a bad tactic with a rocket, really. They're still going to be pretty inaccurate, though.

Hmm...I wonder if Cyberdisks are always going to blow up on death or if you can get the occasional un-exploded corpse like you did in the original?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:03 pm »

Rockets now have a visible AoE so even if you miss you can still damage your target and now the surrounding.

Yeah, I guess you shoot the ground. Not a bad tactic with a rocket, really. They're still going to be pretty inaccurate, though.

Hmm...I wonder if Cyberdisks are always going to blow up on death or if you can get the occasional un-exploded corpse like you did in the original?
I think the new ones you had to imcompacitate them somehow to get the live versions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:55 pm »

The me that says this game is going to be good says that... maybe they won't explode and the goal is to find their unexploded corpse.

The me that says "Action!" says they will always blow up because that way they can keep their technology secret from you. Which is a smart move and allows them to blow up in a cool fashion.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: September 12, 2012, 04:26:45 pm »

If he had said "looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses", time would be a factor.

The rose-tinted glasses can be used to look at other things, not just the past. One can be wearing rose-tinted glasses and looking at something this instant. The expression is valid

In denotation but not in connotation.

Nope, that's the actual connotation.

1. (idiomatic) An optimistic perception of something; a positive opinion; seeing something in a positive way, often thinking of it as better than it actually is.
2. (idiomatic) To see the positive in things while being oblivious to the negative.

The denotation would be that someone is literally wearing rose tinted glasses.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:30:42 pm by Sergius »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: September 12, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »

I'm really interested in this.  I saw an hour long video a few days ago and it was pretty entertaining.  I don't have the devotion/time/funds/specs to actually play the game when it comes out but I won't mind seeing more of it.

EDIT:
No I never beat the original ;_;
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:47:51 pm by ToonyMan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: September 12, 2012, 04:50:41 pm »

I'm really interested in this.  I saw an hour long video a few days ago and it was pretty entertaining.  I don't have the devotion/time/funds/specs to actually play the game when it comes out but I won't mind seeing more of it.

EDIT:
No I never beat the original ;_;

I never got close to beating the original. In fact I am absolutely dismal at playing it.

One time I was SO absolutely tired of losing that when I lucked out and took a large ship... I just bunkered down, ignored the aliens, and researched everything I could.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 12, 2012, 04:58:43 pm »

I didn't beat the original either. When doing later game missions takes as much as an hour to do things right (or more), it became a real slog.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: September 12, 2012, 05:29:35 pm »

20 GB  :o

WTF is it with games needing ridiculous amounts of hard disk space? Do they not know how to do compression? Is this post-compression? Maybe they will actually have hundreds of voices to deal with different nationalities in the game, but if they don't and if they don't have hand drawn masterpieces on levels (including a 1000ppi replica of the Mona Lisa) on the life sized Louvre level then I don't know how they can justify the bloat.

20 GB is a huge amount. GTA IV is like 15GB and it has a city sized playing area.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 12, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »

20 GB  :o

WTF is it with games needing ridiculous amounts of hard disk space? Do they not know how to do compression? Is this post-compression? Maybe they will actually have hundreds of voices to deal with different nationalities in the game, but if they don't and if they don't have hand drawn masterpieces on levels (including a 1000ppi replica of the Mona Lisa) on the life sized Louvre level then I don't know how they can justify the bloat.

20 GB is a huge amount. GTA IV is like 15GB and it has a city sized playing area.

Max Payne is 35 gigs.

I think it has to do with the unwillingness to compress high-res textures, or the unwillingness to do decompression during level loading.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: September 12, 2012, 05:41:22 pm »

Max Payne is 35 gigs.

I think it has to do with the unwillingness to compress high-res textures, or the unwillingness to do decompression during level loading.

For a turn based game there is not really any reason to not do any decompression when loading levels.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 12, 2012, 05:50:13 pm »

Max Payne is 35 gigs.

For a turn based game there is not really any reason to not do any decompression when loading levels.

Being turn-based doesn't really matter - long loading times are a PITA no matter what kind of game you're playing. And being turn-based doesn't let you start rendering before all textures have been loaded and decompressed.  :P

That said, I don't see how uncompressed textures would speed up loading. The bottleneck during loading is usually disk IO. If that's true, then loading a small, compressed texture and spending time decompressing it would be faster than loading a large, uncompressed texture. I suppose if the CPU was otherwise occupied (maybe with AI pre-processing?), uncompressed files might load faster...

There is one benefit to uncompressed textures, though: it's easier to mod. Proper modding support might be available in the future... but I wouldn't count on it. Being able to directly access and modify textures would at least be better than nothing.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: September 12, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »

20 GB? Really? Looks like another game I'll be XBoxing instead.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: September 12, 2012, 06:12:03 pm »

20 GB? Really? Looks like another game I'll be XBoxing instead.
20 is nothing to me, Sims killed it for me with grand total of 56gb right now will all the expansions and packs :/

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1738 on: September 12, 2012, 06:15:31 pm »

Games aren't going to get any smaller guys. You may want to invest in a slightly larger drive if you can afford one, they're fairly cheap these days.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: September 12, 2012, 06:18:36 pm »

Games aren't going to get any smaller guys. You may want to invest in a slightly larger drive if you can afford one, they're fairly cheap these days.

Seconded, SSD are cool,  but deffinitley not neccesarry, yet.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 625