Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961818 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1665 on: September 11, 2012, 07:05:58 am »

So basically you're upset that instead of hiring normal women, they hired Slayers from the Buffyverse? (Super strength, super agility, super reflexes, super healing, needs very little sleep, strength is largely metaphysical, oh, and almost always attractive. Also tends to die young.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:08:54 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: September 11, 2012, 07:08:58 am »

Nope, i'm upset that upon them noticing that one problem was solved, they instantly moved to "THEY'RE NOT THE RIGHT WOMEN"
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:47 am »

Ah, I see, you're not upset, you're upset that other people are upset.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: September 11, 2012, 07:10:26 am »

Correct! Its like it's never enough. You could go through and fix every problem one by one and it still wouldn't be enough for some people.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1669 on: September 11, 2012, 07:10:35 am »

Ah, I see, you're not upset, you're upset that other people are upset.
I'm upset at the number of times you said upset.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:04 am »

Is it wrong that I want to make a Knight Sabers squad?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: September 11, 2012, 10:22:27 am »

Look if you hate people complaining about a game... then just give up games now.

Really you need to join a hobby where people have no oppinion... Like professional Apathy.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: September 11, 2012, 10:25:01 am »

I'm fine with complaining, i'd just rather have complaining within reason. Professional apathy is hardcore man, i'm nowhere near hardcore enough for that.

Is it wrong that I want to make a Knight Sabers squad?

After googling it, no, not really.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: September 11, 2012, 11:11:06 am »

How many times greater are womens' muscles and skin then mens'? Given that they seem to have less armor and lack any muscle tone. Obviously I was sleeping through the part of class that told us women's skin was adamantine and their muscles 100 times greater per pound then men.

I mean... this is a game about military units. Why would they dress clearly under-qualified women in sexualizing outfits unless this was true?

Spoiler: Picture from Kotaku (click to show/hide)
The armor on the left is most likely Personal Armor, or whatever they have as the basic first-armor-you-get. It's cheap, and it covers a few vital areas. It leaves the joints largely unarmored in favor of mobility. Maybe that's a Kevlar jumpsuit beneath? Hard to say. The armor is thin and more of an ablative shield than anything that will actually stop a projectile fully. (Noting that Plasma probably doesn't ricochet anyway so much as it melts holes in people.) It doesn't matter what shape something like that is in, so the armor is comfortable for easier mobility. The male version most likely doesn't offer much more protection, but then I haven't seen a picture of it yet. The armor on the right, by contrast, is the Flying Suit. It completely encases the wearer, and it can take quite a beating. It's contiguous, and thick enough that it could be shaped to 'normal' armor shape without sacrificing too much protection. The suit most likely enhances the wearer's strength, and even if not, the jets could help with that. I believe all soldiers are equipped with military-grade fingers with which to pull triggers.

I don't think they have less armor. I think that they tend to be smaller, which requires less armor to encase them to the same thickness. I haven't seen a comparison of all the armors, but the armor on the right makes that woman's arms much thicker than the one on the left. Hell, her biceps become thicker than those of the psionic guy in the middle.

That said, I don't really see why X-COM would leave out women from a military unit full of the best in the world. These soldiers have to be good to join X-COM. Women don't have to have ridiculous superpowers to be competent, Neonivek. They have to be good soldiers that can handle themselves in a firefight. If they couldn't do that, they wouldn't be on the team. The organizers for the program didn't just say, "Whoops, we'd better hire some random guys and gals off the street! Aliens are comin' round!" They asked for the best of the member countries, and they got it. These are them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: September 11, 2012, 11:15:10 am »

Women don't have to have ridiculous superpowers to be competent, Neonivek

Ignoring that we dealt with this subject.

The joke was that I was assuming women have super powers because not only are they clearly not military fit judging by the pictures but their armor is also lighter compared to their male bulky counterpart.

In otherwords "They arn't unfit weaklings, their muscles are super strong. They arn't less armored their skin is super strong so they need less then the men" as a joke.

They do seem a bit willowy compared to the males though. Which is a shame because I actually personally dislike muscle bound men in videogames. When women and men have to look a certain way... I have to groan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: September 11, 2012, 11:16:58 am »

Well, they were going for an 'Action Figure' look for everything. I'm not that fond of it personally, but it's a reasonable choice.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:58 am »

Well, they were going for an 'Action Figure' look for everything. I'm not that fond of it personally, but it's a reasonable choice.

Yeah and it isn't the worst I've seen.

World of Warcraft was much worse for example. To the extent that female women don't even look like the same species as male men.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: September 11, 2012, 12:18:03 pm »

They have to be good soldiers that can handle themselves in a firefight. If they couldn't do that, they wouldn't be on the team. The organizers for the program didn't just say, "Whoops, we'd better hire some random guys and gals off the street! Aliens are comin' round!" They asked for the best of the member countries, and they got it. These are them.

Huh. I thought the response was  (quietly) "Who can we spare for these loonies that will get them off our backs?" ;)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: September 11, 2012, 12:55:10 pm »

That was probably the case for the first game, not this one, however. It seems less THE PATH TO VICTORY IS OVER A GRAVEYARD OF ROOKIES and all that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:01:28 pm by dogstile »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: September 12, 2012, 02:20:37 am »

Women don't have to have ridiculous superpowers to be competent, Neonivek
The joke was that I was assuming women have super powers because not only are they clearly not military fit judging by the pictures but their armor is also lighter compared to their male bulky counterpart.

Clearly not military fit? Because they're not rippling with muscle?

I call bullshit.

Have you ever actually seen a good cross-spread of armed forces members? I can tell you, categorically, not all good soldiers are built like the Hulk.

Soldiers have to be the balance between strength and speed. Too much muscle, and you're not going to be sprinting away from that grenade fast enough. Too little muscle and you won't be winning that hand to hand fight anytime soon.

Stop thinking that watching The Expendables is adequate research...
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 625