Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961893 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1590 on: September 09, 2012, 06:23:51 am »

In my country of origin, a newly launched game priced at $50 is worth 1/6 of a fresh university graduate's monthly salary. Thank God I migrated.

Honestly, I don't expect much more from an entry level salary.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 09, 2012, 07:53:49 pm »

May as well pull the discussion somewhere else.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/xcom-enemy-unknown/1225995p1.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the article. At least we know one of the old aliens is gone... though didn't everyone just use them for reaction practice?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 09, 2012, 08:44:26 pm »

I've mentioned this before, but international game prices just shit me. I've got a reasonable income (still under the average national wage, but not too far off), and games are too expensive. Not because of my lack of ability to pay, they're just too expensive.

I live in Australia. The Australian Dollar (AUD$) has been over parity with the US$ pretty much all year. Currently at $1.05US per one Aussie dollar (give or take, I haven't checked the markets for a week or two). AAA titles are $60 American yet cost $90 in Australia, using currency worth more than the US$. That's wrong.

But yes, I'll be buying Xcom as soon as I can be bothered to stop going to our lovely beaches, admiring our beautiful women and drinking our amazing beer. Still, it's not bloody fair........ :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 09, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »

It's because your highly dangerous ecology results in a 20% loss rate for game imports, jacking up the price. Online prices reflect this price increase, in honor of the dozens of merchandise shippers killed each year.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 09, 2012, 08:51:11 pm »

Surely there's more deaths per capita of game industry related people in the gun-toting US of A than drop-bear deaths in Aussie?

I mean, we even warn people about the drop-bears......
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:54:28 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:27 pm »

Surely there's more deaths per capita of game industry related people in the gun-totting US of A then drop-bear deaths in Aussie?

I mean, we even warn people about the drop-bears.......

I once fought a Drop Bear. They are elusive buggers.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 09, 2012, 08:54:44 pm »

Surely there's more deaths per capita of game industry related people in the gun-toting US of A than drop-bear deaths in Aussie?

Nah, because in the USA the gaming industry people have guns and can fight back. It's hard to fight back against the life force of an entire continent :P

More on-topic, does anyone know what sort of specs will be required for this? Tempted to pre-order (or request it for my birthday coming up), but our "gaming rig" is something like six years old and slowly dying.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 09, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »

Nah, because in the USA the gaming industry people have guns and can fight back. It's hard to fight back against the life force of an entire continent :P

More on-topic, does anyone know what sort of specs will be required for this? Tempted to pre-order (or request it for my birthday coming up), but our "gaming rig" is something like six years old and slowly dying.

It's probably a reason why our dollar is worth more. It's so much harder to keep on you, plus our banks are not only GFC proof, they can take on snakes and stuff. And a nation full of the great grandchildren of convicts. The dollar has to be worth more, because you never know when it'll be mysteriously gone or you'll be dead. :)

From what I know on the specs, I'm pretty sure anything Core Duo (and equivilant) or better will get it to run on low settings. Might not have all the sparkles, but I think I remember that being the minimum entry. You could probably get away with less as long as the graphics/OS had the required DirectX version compatibility. DX9?? 11? I forget. But it's turn based, so slightly laggy graphics won't kill you. I'll probably see if my old P4 laptop can get it to boot once I've bought it, just to see.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:49:55 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »

In my country of origin, a newly launched game priced at $50 is worth 1/6 of a fresh university graduate's monthly salary. Thank God I migrated.

Honestly, I don't expect much more from an entry level salary.

I don't either but with the same entry level salary in Australia, I can afford buying multiple games per year AND still have saving. Plus I pay rent here but I lived with my parents back home. All these due to the difference in living standards.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 09, 2012, 09:34:02 pm »

Shhhhhhh, we don't want them all to know how good it is here.

There's a reason we don't NEED a starting bonus in Xcom, damn big deadly continent or not.
It's a game. Have fun.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: September 09, 2012, 10:57:00 pm »

I'm also in Australia and its $60 on steam. The only reason to pay $90 for a physical copy is if you really really want the feelies that come with the collector's edition, i.e the Xcom patch and art book. I actually do kind of want the patch, but I'm not willing to pay $30 for it.

Can't recall the exact specs off the top of my head, but I remember people on another forums were remarking that they're pretty generous. Bear in mind this also has to be able to run on an Xbox 360; if you can play any other game that has a XB360 version you should be fine in theory.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »

Did the Witcher/Witcher 2 have an XBOX360? Because we tried installing that game today and even on lowest settings and resolution it was more like a slideshow <_<;

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:29 pm »

Did the Witcher/Witcher 2 have an XBOX360? Because we tried installing that game today and even on lowest settings and resolution it was more like a slideshow <_<;
Since this game is turn based I'm sure you'd be able to play it, Lag isn't quite as important
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: September 09, 2012, 11:58:15 pm »

It's probably a reason why our dollar is worth more. It's so much harder to keep on you, plus our banks are not only GFC proof, they can take on snakes and stuff. And a nation full of the great grandchildren of convicts. The dollar has to be worth more, because you never know when it'll be mysteriously gone or you'll be dead. :)

From what I know on the specs, I'm pretty sure anything Core Duo (and equivilant) or better will get it to run on low settings. Might not have all the sparkles, but I think I remember that being the minimum entry. You could probably get away with less as long as the graphics/OS had the required DirectX version compatibility. DX9?? 11? I forget. But it's turn based, so slightly laggy graphics won't kill you. I'll probably see if my old P4 laptop can get it to boot once I've bought it, just to see.

Quote from: Steam
Minimum:
Processor:2 GHz Dual Core
Memory:2 GB RAM
Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or greater
DirectX®:9.0
Hard Drive:20 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
Additional:Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, DirectX and Microsoft .NET 4.

Recommended:
Processor:2 GHz Dual Core (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 2.7 GHz)
Memory:4 GB RAM
Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 9000 series / ATI Radeon HD 3000 series or greater
DirectX®:9.0
Hard Drive:20 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
Additional:Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, DirectX and Microsoft .NET 4.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:11 am »

It definitely falls more towards the minimum requirements, but I think our computer can handle that. Thanks, Microcline!

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 625