Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962172 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1230 on: July 30, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »

You somehow overlooked the most important announcement.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: July 30, 2012, 06:35:26 pm »

This pleases me more than it should.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: July 30, 2012, 06:40:24 pm »

If aliens were invading, wouldn't you get the SF2 crew to help out?

"Sonic-boom!"
It's a game. Have fun.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: July 30, 2012, 10:17:59 pm »

If I wasn't sold before, I totally am now.  This really is the labor of love they made it out to be.

I notice in the screenshots that researching "Alien Materials" costs five "Weapon Fragments".  I'm guessing that you won't be able to run your entire enterprise selling all the wholly intact alien weapons you pick up, after researching the exactly one it requires to reproduce them.

I can't say I'm pleased with making research a bit more "abstract", but I can certainly make an argument in its favor.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: July 30, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »

Oddly enough when I first played the game I didn't sell any of the alien technology because I thought something terrible would happen.

Apperantly I was paranoid (or thinking the game was more complex then it really was) since you are actually expected to sell every single unimportant item available.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:56 pm »

That would actually be awesome, Third World dictators getting their hands on dozens of plasma cannons sold to them by X-COM and there being a huge scandal.

It would also be cool if you could boost research speed at a risk of causing some horrible disaster, like infecting your personnel with a xenovirus or massive explosions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: July 30, 2012, 10:34:24 pm »

That would actually be awesome, Third World dictators getting their hands on dozens of plasma cannons sold to them by X-COM and there being a huge scandal.

I always wanted to know what happened to the dozens of plasma rifles and mind-altering machines and piles of corpses I was selling, let alone the hundreds of laser cannons I was churning out.

The game takes on a weird aspect when you consider the destabilizing influence of X-COM as an untouchable cutting-edge arms emporium.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: July 30, 2012, 10:36:39 pm »

On the bright side, everything the aliens make runs on Elerium in one form or another, so X-COM's black market couldn't last forever.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: July 30, 2012, 10:38:43 pm »

I always wanted to know what happened to the dozens of plasma rifles and mind-altering machines and piles of corpses I was selling, let alone the hundreds of laser cannons I was churning out.

The game takes on a weird aspect when you consider the destabilizing influence of X-COM as an untouchable cutting-edge arms emporium.

You mean the fact that the X-com is centuries more advanced then the rest of the world?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: July 30, 2012, 10:45:18 pm »

You mean the fact that the X-com is centuries more advanced then the rest of the world?
That's another thing: Ever since X-COM Apocalypse I've enjoyed the idea of X-COM going mercenary and using their extreme technological advantage over everyone else to dominate whatever they want. Or going mercenary automatically if the UN is seduced by the alien menace.

You could also start the game with X-COM's backers being only an number of countries rather than all of them, with nations both entering and leaving the X-COM Program as you kill alien menace in their borders and/or accidentally/intentionally blow up their cities.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:03 pm »

Wait a minute is this game comming out before the really terrible Xcom shooter?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 30, 2012, 11:04:35 pm »

The really terrible shooter that none of us has played?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: July 30, 2012, 11:04:54 pm »

Yes that one

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: July 30, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »

Yes that one
Yes, this X-COM is coming out on October 9th in North America and October 12th in Europe and Australia. X-COM: Imposter has thankfully fallen into development hell and has been delayed until between April 2013 and March 2014. It will probably not come out at all because of this.

Also:
Quote from: 2K Games President Christoph Hartmann
Strategy games are just not contemporary.
What the fuck.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 30, 2012, 11:11:11 pm »

Simple. Christoph Hartmann basically means that games are not about developing new games people become interested in.

It is about developing games you know people will be interested in.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 625