Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962174 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1215 on: June 16, 2012, 03:38:56 am »

Yeah i know who blackadder is, but he doesn't speak like barry white either :P
That Stargate xcom thing was something i wanted to try ages ago, i got as far as modding 2 weapons and a few badly made skins.
I never worked out how to make the skyranger look like a stargate though.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 22, 2012, 06:45:55 am »

New interview over at Joystiq. Has a few new tidbits, one them being that there no longer are different types of shot (like snapshot, autoshot, or aimed shot). Instead, you get accuracy bonuses for flanking aliens.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 22, 2012, 06:59:59 am »

New interview over at Joystiq. Has a few new tidbits, one them being that there no longer are different types of shot (like snapshot, autoshot, or aimed shot). Instead, you get accuracy bonuses for flanking aliens.

I mostly only used auto-shot anyway, not a huge deal.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 22, 2012, 07:14:33 am »

Well, with the removal of TUs, I guess that's the only way to really do it.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:06 am »

Yeah I would agree without TU's and even with TU's they were kinda pointless it seemed. You would mostly if not always auto shot as much as possible and maybe get a snap if you're lucky after that. I like the FFTA/TO approach of flanking bonuses as such.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 22, 2012, 09:48:09 am »

Accuracy bonuses for flanking? What? That would really only make sense if the aliens were actively dodging your shots. Damage, perhaps, but accuracy? I'm all for flanking bonuses, but this sounds silly.

They'll make me like the look of it for a while, and then they'll say something stupid like that.

Also, I used aimed shot all the time with my designated snipers. Auto shot effectiveness tended to go down the tubes at long range. Snap shot really was just a last resort/hope for the best/reaction shot thing anyway.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 22, 2012, 09:50:56 am »

Accuracy bonuses for flanking? What? That would really only make sense if the aliens were actively dodging your shots. Damage, perhaps, but accuracy? I'm all for flanking bonuses, but this sounds silly.

They'll make me like the look of it for a while, and then they'll say something stupid like that.

Also, I used aimed shot all the time with my designated snipers. Auto shot effectiveness tended to go down the tubes at long range. Snap shot really was just a last resort/hope for the best/reaction shot thing anyway.

When you flank an enemy he doesn't have any cover, hence the bonus compared to when you're not flanking.

Also, the combat is overhauled: you'll have accurate snipers for the reasons you've just mentioned.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 22, 2012, 11:01:28 am »

Flanking as a bonus to hit works fine for me. Assumedly the aliens are always trying to dodge, so surprising them with a flank would take that away. A bonus to your accuracy reflects this just as well as if they had a specific dodge chance that you were negating.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Detritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 22, 2012, 11:08:54 am »

In vanilla X-Com, range wasn't a deciding factor for chance to hit. So whether you shoot at someone who's standing 10 squares or someone at 30 squares away, chance to hit is identical.

While flanking bonus may not make that much sense if you try to rationalize and compare it to real life, I kind of like it as a game mechanic.
Optimist drowns in a half-full tub.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 22, 2012, 02:52:32 pm »

I play STO regularly, and flanking is a big thing. I like me some flanking goodness.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:35 am »

Flanking kinda makes sense as an accuracy thing, since you're under less stress to fire quickly if your target is distracted or not even facing you, but really i think the most important thing accuracy wise is if you're not under supresssion fire and haven't just been surprised with an enemy popping up from cover you're far more likely to take your time aiming properly.
also, snipers, yeah.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 23, 2012, 01:49:55 pm »

In vanilla X-Com, range wasn't a deciding factor for chance to hit. So whether you shoot at someone who's standing 10 squares or someone at 30 squares away, chance to hit is identical.

This is incorrect. At closer ranges, a larger deviation will still result in a hit. Something that might hit their arm at five squares might miss entirely at six or ten or twenty.

See http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Accuracy_formula
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 26, 2012, 03:35:47 pm »

Kotaku has a rather moving blurb. Go read!
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: July 30, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »

After almost a month of silence, here is something new. Joystiq has a small preview, talking a bit (just a bit) more about aerial combat, a new weapon and research. And for the fans, they have a picture of the firestorm as well.

Well, don't just stand there lookin' all sallivating! Head over there and get your fix!
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 30, 2012, 05:46:41 pm »

Well, based on that screen shot it looks like the air combat is going to be a bit more interactive. So that's cool.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 625