Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962256 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1110 on: May 31, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »

I can only assume that the X-COM agents finally taped a headlight to their helmets for once.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »

I can only assume that the X-COM agents finally taped a headlight to their helmets for once.

Tactical-wise that's as good as making a costume made out of photons, you might mean night-vision goggles.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 31, 2012, 03:35:30 pm »

It would not matter even if their armour was made from solid light. The X-COM aliens night vision is equally good to their daylight vision. If anything the flashlights would disrupt their ability to see during the night (assuming their eyes adapt to light like ours).
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 01, 2012, 07:21:28 am »

It would not matter even if their armour was made from solid light. The X-COM aliens night vision is equally good to their daylight vision. If anything the flashlights would disrupt their ability to see during the night (assuming their eyes adapt to light like ours).

A light source doesn't only show the source itself, but it also reflects on other surfaces, thus, for example, a soldier with a flashlight would be visible from a corner, etc. Real life doesn't work the way the original X-COM works. It's just too difficult and useless to contain a realistic night-mission model, since you would have to simulate moonshine etc. For all intents and purposes it all works just like day, it's just darker - in real life and here too. It's not like I can't spot my friend from 200 meters away just because it's night, I can still see his silhoutte, that something is moving, and if the moon is bright, I can even see him clearly.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:23 am »

A light source doesn't only show the source itself, but it also reflects on other surfaces, thus, for example, a soldier with a flashlight would be visible from a corner, etc. Real life doesn't work the way the original X-COM works. It's just too difficult and useless to contain a realistic night-mission model, since you would have to simulate moonshine etc. For all intents and purposes it all works just like day, it's just darker - in real life and here too. It's not like I can't spot my friend from 200 meters away just because it's night, I can still see his silhoutte, that something is moving, and if the moon is bright, I can even see him clearly.

If the time and place is right, you won't see your out streched hand when it's dark. A decent summer night is pretty well lit though. For the sake of simplicity, it's good that they went without specific night missions. But a worst case scenario night mission (autumn, thick forest, no moon) is pretty much as bad as the first X-COM made it out to be. Considering many missions are done in summer time and/or in well lit urban areas though, your average night mission shouldn't be nearly as bad as it was in the original.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 01, 2012, 08:16:08 am »

I don't mind the whole no day or night, just day maps and night maps idea. I know the original wasn't exactly huge on the AI portion of the game (it could seem to be, but it wasn't coded that way), but it used to seem funny in the night missions sometimes. I used to wonder what the aliens were thinking.

"Oh, a massive transport craft just landed. And now there's some lights being thrown just over there. And now there's some heavy automatic gunfire going off that's making explosions and fires just near the lights. Wow! Someone just blew the wall out of that barn with a rocket. I wonder where the humans could be? I'll just guard this tree for a while longer until things develop......"

Hopefully the night maps are done stylishly. I think there's going to be enough WTF moments when you walk around the corner with an unsupported soldier to still make the night (and even day) maps feel worrying enough.
It's a game. Have fun.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 01, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »

Real life doesn't work the way the original X-COM works.

And that's why people on the internet moan so much.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 01, 2012, 02:19:08 pm »

Real life doesn't work the way the original X-COM works.

And that's why people on the internet moan so much.

I constantly see people bashing the game for not letting you build many bases, but when you come to think of it, a covert operation wouldn't do this, why build many clone-bases through all the world, when you can have satelite bases that do just enough, save you money and are much more covert. I've seen a lot of people, thankfully not here, who think that not having multiple bases, day/night missions, unlimited ammo makes this game too far from the original. Funny about unlimited ammo, somebody said on RPS that grabbing ammo from a corpse was central to the game's expirience. I remember doing that maybe twice through my whole life, that also goes with reloading: I reload only a few times through all the game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 01, 2012, 02:23:42 pm »

Hah, if your squaddies and the xenos are both living long enough to force you to scavenge ammo, you're doing it wrong.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:46 pm »

Hah, if your squaddies and the xenos are both living long enough to force you to scavenge ammo, you're doing it wrong.  :P

Needs moar blasta.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 01, 2012, 02:38:19 pm »

Laz0rz. Use 'em. Love 'em. Rocket launchers and occasionally autocannons on the other hand... Only ammo for their guns was carried by the heavy weapon guys themselves so I occasionally ran out. 4 rockets isn't all that much when you have a decent sized terror mission in your hands.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:05 pm »

Laz0rz. Use 'em. Love 'em. Rocket launchers and occasionally autocannons on the other hand... Only ammo for their guns was carried by the heavy weapon guys themselves so I occasionally ran out. 4 rockets isn't all that much when you have a decent sized terror mission in your hands.

Personally never used rockets, I always go from standard rifles straight to heavy plasma and rockets are limited in the new game anyways.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 01, 2012, 03:02:12 pm »

1-2 dedicated rocketeers would work wonders up until mutons. And stuff blowing up. Definitely stuff blowing up. I usually waited quite a while before getting heavy plasmas, and even then they were mainly for squad leader-ish types until the very last mission. Laser rifles were always the solid back bone of my Battle for Earth. Maybe I'll be more quick to hop to alien weaponry if Firaxis balances the new one better.

I actually wouldn't mind if (initially) we could only be able to use reverse engineered alien tech that's not quite as good as what the aliens themselves use. In original X-COM terms we would have "Human plasma tech v0.1", "Human plasma tech v0.2" and "Human plasma tech v1.0". With weapon power increasing at each tier. I don't know, might be too complicated. I just know that I personally disliked the humongous jump in destructive power going from Assault Rifle -> Laser Rifle -> Heavy Plasma.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 01, 2012, 11:42:01 pm »

Agreed, if you needed to scavenge ammo in original game, you sucked.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:49 am »

I frequently ran out of rockets, grenades, Autocannon rounds, and even on certain terror missions before lazers i would reload my rifles several times.
After lazers it became far less likely to run completely out of ammo, but i still tended to burn through grenades AC-HE and rockets like nobody's business.
And as far as doing it wrong is concerned, it's actually damn fun fighting cyberdisks, reapers, Chryssalid  and mutons with nothing but rifles and grenades.
Just armour up with light body armoru and cram your ranger with 14 mooks. MOAR dakka!
If more than 2 guys survive the mission you're doing it wrong X(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 625