Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962251 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1095 on: May 30, 2012, 05:59:41 am »

Sambojin, I agree with you, but sadly they can't implement everything awesome. I just wish that there was some way for them to notice such great ideas.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 30, 2012, 11:06:41 am »

A game with too many awesome games will overwhelm your mind, be hard to program and in the end would have fared better if there only was a manageable amount of awesomeness.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 30, 2012, 11:08:42 am »

A game with too many awesome games will overwhelm your mind, be hard to program and in the end would have fared better if there only was a manageable amount of awesomeness.

Exactly, it's the bane of video games that only so much awesome can fit into one (besides, of course, DF, but that's a whole other situation).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 30, 2012, 11:30:42 am »

LCS II: alien busting  :o

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 30, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »

Ok, so, I just read through this thread and all the interviews, and I'm pretty excited.  Some changes I'm still iffy about, and I hope that you'll have an option to fire before moving, or perform two actions without moving.  Still cautiously optimistic, but if I see more awesome things I'll be quite enthused.  Posting to watch.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 31, 2012, 07:36:56 am »

And to add to that, an interview over at Strategycore and a preview at Rocketchainsaw.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 31, 2012, 09:22:50 am »

Alas, the environments aren't completely destructible, sad.

On the other hand:
SC: Little reference is made in the original as to why some aliens are genetically or surgically altered whilst others – Sectoids and Ethereals – remain “pure” since they’re the leaders. Will you be delving deeper into the relationships between the various aliens as the game progresses to flesh them out?
JS: The relationship between the alien species, how they’ve ended up together and what mysteries they conceal within their bodies is something that always gripped me from the original game.  It’s something that we will definitely explore in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but I won’t say to what extent…

They will be delving deeper into lore, which is always great in my book.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:15 am »

"Filthy Arch-Conservative xenos are attacking the Earth."

"That is disturbing!"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34:35 am »

Wait, did I miss this?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 31, 2012, 11:39:50 am »

"Filthy Arch-Conservative xenos are attacking the Earth."

"That is disturbing!"
And so the mystery of where we get our recruits is solved.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:24 pm »

SC: Will time of day still make a difference in missions? In the original night-time missions were pretty brutal affairs with the aliens having far better night vision, however the drawback was that you could often just leave a crashed UFO until daylight before launching a mission to its location – is this still the case?

JS: We have both day- and night-lit maps, but there’s no gameplay effect for lighting. The good news is that this means that your visibility is better at night! The bad side of this is that now Chryssalids come charging out of the shadows during the day, too.

This makes me a bit sad. The challenge of night missions was always a lot of fun for me!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 31, 2012, 12:29:46 pm »

SC: Will time of day still make a difference in missions? In the original night-time missions were pretty brutal affairs with the aliens having far better night vision, however the drawback was that you could often just leave a crashed UFO until daylight before launching a mission to its location – is this still the case?

JS: We have both day- and night-lit maps, but there’s no gameplay effect for lighting. The good news is that this means that your visibility is better at night! The bad side of this is that now Chryssalids come charging out of the shadows during the day, too.

This makes me a bit sad. The challenge of night missions was always a lot of fun for me!

Yeah, but in real life that doesn't work this way, so I'm not sad about this, this remake is going to be more realistic with suppresive fire and all that jazz.

Wait, did I miss this?
Quote from: Strategycore
SC: We've seen a destructible environment, can we actually cause a building to collapse with enough damage dealt to its structure?
JS: You’ll be able to blast your way through the walls of a building; most of the buildings are designed to have additional points of entry, but full destruction isn’t implemented.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:31:42 pm by Domenique »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 31, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

Yeah, but in real life that doesn't work this way, so I'm not sad about this, this remake is going to be more realistic with suppresive fire and all that jazz.

Wha...? Are you suggesting that there is enough light to see by at night in completely uninhabited countryside? Quite apart from that, the atmosphere of the night missions was brilliant, especially when things happened to the rookies you sent dashing out to lob light discs all over, using AC-I to (heh) light up the night, and so on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 31, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »

Wha...? Are you suggesting that there is enough light to see by at night in completely uninhabited countryside? Quite apart from that, the atmosphere of the night missions was brilliant, especially when things happened to the rookies you sent dashing out to lob light discs all over, using AC-I to (heh) light up the night, and so on.

But it doesn't mean that at night there's some black fog all over the place. You can still see shiny things from afar, and knowing that mutons have armors with some ill-placed lights only makes the reduction of LoS useless. What you can see is not what we know as line of sight in video games, it's basically an old mechanic that should be replaced or removed if necessary (in my opinion). The atmosphere will be different anyways, but that doesn't mean that the overall darkness won't create tension.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 625