Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962271 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1080 on: May 28, 2012, 06:46:14 pm »

I'm hoping that there is at least a few scary-quiet aliens in the game. Cyberdisks would really lose any sort of value in the game if they were beeping away like R2D2 all game. Some things would be pretty hard to change I think.

The aliens in containment would probably be going a bit berserk, being cut off from the over-mind, imprisoned, poked with hot, sharp things and all that. But not everything needs to be feral-psycho to be scary and alien. Or bobble-headed cute. I'm sure Firaxis will make sure some things don't hiss or growl. The thin-men seem a likely candidate for at least one of them.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »

I'm hoping that there is at least a few scary-quiet aliens in the game. Cyberdisks would really lose any sort of value in the game if they were beeping away like R2D2 all game. Some things would be pretty hard to change I think.
I think appending a tell-tale noise could make them very scary, as long as it avoided being comical. Think Minecraft's mobs, some of which make fairly innocuous sounds that can really scare you if you've been wandering around in a dark cavern for a while. I could imagine the Cyberdisc making some subtle electrical clicking noises, for example perhaps. But if it hums or beeps, it's too cliche to really work.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 28, 2012, 08:55:16 pm »

Some sort of really low or high humming noise, outside our audible range, enough to subconsciously disturb us, would be pretty cool.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 28, 2012, 09:11:21 pm »

The problem with floaters, as it were, was the AI. I mean, thematically, I always thought they perfectly fit the role of silent flying units that could be everywhere and come at you from any direction, just waiting for the time to strike.

Mechanically... no, they didn't really live up to that at all.

Either way, I think the rockets on the new ones are stupid.

Pretty much.

Floaters were TERRIFYING until I realized they were even worse at aiming than X-COM rookies.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 29, 2012, 10:38:19 am »

The problem with floaters, as it were, was the AI. I mean, thematically, I always thought they perfectly fit the role of silent flying units that could be everywhere and come at you from any direction, just waiting for the time to strike.

Pretty much.

Floaters were TERRIFYING until I realized they were even worse at aiming than X-COM rookies.

I don't think they are WORSE than rookies, but IIRC there was a penalty to hit from the air, which could have that effect. I could be wrong.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 29, 2012, 11:11:18 am »

Pretty much.

I don't think they are WORSE than rookies, but IIRC there was a penalty to hit from the air, which could have that effect. I could be wrong.

I would actually very rarely see them flying, and they still sucked, unless I've had an engineer on my hands.

I think appending a tell-tale noise could make them very scary, as long as it avoided being comical. Think Minecraft's mobs, some of which make fairly innocuous sounds that can really scare you if you've been wandering around in a dark cavern for a while. I could imagine the Cyberdisc making some subtle electrical clicking noises, for example perhaps. But if it hums or beeps, it's too cliche to really work.

Exactly, I think the aliens lack subtelty to actually be scary, they're aming more for what Dead Space does (which wasn't really that much scary, unlike...), rather than Amnesia (I didn't finish it).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:17:34 am by Domenique »

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 29, 2012, 12:03:53 pm »

Pretty much.

I would actually very rarely see them flying, and they still sucked, unless I've had an engineer on my hands.

Exactly, I think the aliens lack subtelty to actually be scary, they're aming more for what Dead Space does (which wasn't really that much scary, unlike...), rather than Amnesia (I didn't finish it).

If you ask me, aliens in XCOM were scary in same way as Necromorphs in Dead Space. Aka "OH CRAP, I'M GONNA DIE" instead of what Amnesia does.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:04 pm »

So anyway, found some Chrysalid footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6niInBE738 (Includes it bursting out of someone)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 29, 2012, 01:31:41 pm »

If you ask me, aliens in XCOM were scary in same way as Necromorphs in Dead Space. Aka "OH CRAP, I'M GONNA DIE" instead of what Amnesia does.

Personally I think it's more to the amnesia side, because of the tension and subtelty, the hidden aliens, taking pot shots at you from unexisting dimension, the music, those creepy guys that gave you money (holy shit they used to be really f**king scary to me), aliens performing abductions, harvesting, that kind of stuff. It was mostly the whole atmosphere and the fact that you can get attacked and lose. The aliens themselves weren't as much scary, well, atleast they weren't since I was 16.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 29, 2012, 03:15:52 pm »

Personally I think it's more to the amnesia side, because of the tension and subtelty, the hidden aliens, taking pot shots at you from unexisting dimension, the music, those creepy guys that gave you money (holy shit they used to be really f**king scary to me), aliens performing abductions, harvesting, that kind of stuff. It was mostly the whole atmosphere and the fact that you can get attacked and lose. The aliens themselves weren't as much scary, well, atleast they weren't since I was 16.

Like I said, thats fear at "Oh crap, my troops are dying!" rather than atmosphere and such. Anyway, I would comment on finding aliens that looks like they came from silly fifties scifi show scary, but everybody finds silly things scary when young.(besides, they ARE good at killing so its understandable)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 29, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »

You were scared of the guys giving you money?

They gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside at the end of each year/month/whatever.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:11 pm »

Like I said, thats fear at "Oh crap, my troops are dying!" rather than atmosphere and such. Anyway, I would comment on finding aliens that looks like they came from silly fifties scifi show scary, but everybody finds silly things scary when young.(besides, they ARE good at killing so its understandable)

Actually I only feared that because of the atmosphere the game created (I stated that), I could have been fighting autobots for all I care I would still be scared to death as a kindergardener/primary schoolboy.

You were scared of the guys giving you money?

They gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside at the end of each year/month/whatever.

Trust me, when you're a 8 year old playing all alone at night (because you're waiting for south park), it kinda really gets scary, especially considering that you live in the suburbs (where terror missions take place), you watch X-Files and kinda think that there actually are aliens, who might abduct you. Or creepy guys with suitcases that give you money in the dead of the night. I'm flattered, but HOLY FUCK.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 30, 2012, 12:06:35 am »

Or creepy guys with suitcases that give you money in the dead of the night.

I don't think there are many people who would object to this.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 30, 2012, 12:26:14 am »

Or creepy guys with suitcases that give you money in the dead of the night.
I don't think there are many people who would object to this.
Especially in the way that they do it.

MiBs: "So, you continue fighting the alien menace."
XCom: "Yup. Totally killin' aliens."
MiBs: "Do you have any alien weapons, or corpses or anything we can look at?"
XCom: "Um...actually, we sold it all."
MiBs: "I see. Anyway, you did a good job this month, have a few million dollars."
XCom: "Woot!"

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 30, 2012, 12:37:24 am »

It depends how creepy and how much money.

Does anyone remember the Emperor's Assassin guy from TIE-Fighter that used to hand out side missions and objectives? How sweet would it be if the was a bit of corporate and international back-stabbing, intrigue, subversion and power-plays going on? Every once in a while a creepy guy with a briefcase full of cash and documents could show up and ask you to do side missions (wrapped into your main mission) for cash, technology, rank bonuses or promises of more funding.
------------
"Let the aliens kill this particular civilian. They are an enemy of our state, wanted on warcrimes charges and has fled to your country. We'll pay you $100,000 if they are disposed of by non-human hands."
------------
"Please ensure that the northern office block is destroyed in this action. Our corporate opposition has it's R&D HQ located there. We will offer you our advanced technologies and lab facilities for one month if you make this so."
-------------
"With the alien war sapping the economy so greatly, our competitors in Russia are beginning to gain ascendance over us in manufacturing. Please turn a blind eye to alien activities in their sphere-of-influence to ensure they are bought down to size. We will give your troops advanced training and promote them so that they are beyond reproach for their "negligence". "
---------------

You wouldn't have to do the side quests, but you could get ahead at the expense of your sponsors, your nation or the world itself. There could also be long term detriments (or benefits) to being the bad-guy (or the good-guy) to balance out the quick gains (or sacrifices) made. I like the idea of there being a bit of a shadow conspiracy and a war-within-a-war going on. Again, it would just make the conflict seem so much larger than a six man team vs an alien civilisation.

It wouldn't be very hard to do. 20 different types of world-map missions (essentially just yes/no responses), 20 different types of in-game missions (yes/no response and then having to do it), research missions (yes/no, must research a certain thing by a certain timeframe for a bonus but it might throw out your own research plans) and then a bit in a blurb in the monthly funding report on different countries casaulties, successes and a little extra blurb relating to the effect of some missions (world-map ones mainly). You wouldn't have a side mission every mission, they'd be randomised on protagonists, needs, targets and rewards, and a bit of a randomised report to show you made a difference no matter what your choice was. Plus bonuses/detriments in the short/long term for Xcom.

Once again procedural generation of mission objectives could save the world from feeling too small. It would be nice for not only no play-through of Xcom to be the same, but also to have a different story each time. Like a mini-Europa-Univeralis except with lasers and aliens :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:11:00 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 625