Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962284 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1065 on: May 27, 2012, 03:37:34 am »

Honestly, the guy in one of the interviews made the most important point: The original is still out there. If someone is bothered that much by the changes, it isn't as if the first game isn't available for a very low price. I can respect that they're making changes, because if we're going to be honest, the original was a flawed game. Just because it was great doesn't mean it was perfect, unless you've got cokebottle-thick rose-tinted glasses on. I can very easily see myself liking Enemy Unknown for largely different reasons and still playing both. Heck, either a straight remake with bugfixes and pretty things or a genuine, honest reinterpretation would be a Good Thing. Because the original is still right there, untouched.

And there isn't REALLY point in remaking original with better graphics and better interface. People would just complain about not getting new XCOM game instead of complaining about not getting game identical to original XCOM.

Exactly, they are going to have angry fans regardless of what they do with something like this, so they might as well try doing a different take on it. There are reasonable complaints that can be made, but (IMO, obviously) "it isn't identical to how it used to be" isn't a particularly valid or helpful one.
This trope applies nicely (read the Purist section).
*clicks link*
*reads the purist section*
*clicks another link*
*realizes that it is on TVthropes*
Oh no! I'm not going to get addicted to this!
/Ctrl+w
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 28, 2012, 05:14:04 am »

I mostly just think it's a waste. The cold intelligence of them was what made them so pantsshittingly scary.

That, and Blaster Bombs.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 28, 2012, 08:16:35 am »

What?! No bonus for starting in Australia?

What is this?  :P
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 28, 2012, 08:24:27 am »

What?! No bonus for starting in Australia?

What is this?  :P
Australia is too dangerous to have a bonus :P
Though there wasn't any bonus for Antarctica either, and I've seen plenty of people play from there in X-COM before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: May 28, 2012, 08:53:28 am »

Xcom doesn't ever put bases in Australia. It does however send it's soldiers there for R&R. They come back with destroyed livers, unfit for service, afraid of common animals, and rambling on about waves and boobs and free health care.

The aliens don't fight there for the same reasons.....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:56:20 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: May 28, 2012, 10:08:20 am »

There aren't bonuses for Australia because Australia doesn't need X-COM protection to fight off alien invaders.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: May 28, 2012, 10:18:16 am »

On Australia:
The reason, straight from the devs mouth, is that any bonus they gave australia would make the game too unbalanced, because it would just be so good.

On alien design:
I think my only problem with the alien designs is that there doesn't seem to be much variety. All the alien styles seem to be essentially cast from the mould - with the potential exception of the thin men, from what we've seen so far (so I'm glad that they are there).

The original had the silent, creepy kinds (Ethereals, Floaters, Sectoids, Cyberdiscs) that struck from the shadows with strange powers or were almost calm as they wrecked your shit, and the more aggressive and animalistic kind (Mutons, Reapers, Snakemen).

But I certainly don't dislike the game for it, because I know they're probably going to have at least a couple new aliens they haven't revealed. And the only design I actually dislike so far is the Floaters.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 28, 2012, 10:36:04 am »

There aren't bonuses for Australia because Australia doesn't need X-COM protection to fight off alien invaders.
Indeed. Their australium makes them powerful enough to fend for them selves.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 28, 2012, 11:13:28 am »

Indeed. Their australium makes them powerful enough to fend for them selves.
Besides, the wildlife is scarier than the xenos.

3. Run Resize Enable

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: May 28, 2012, 02:22:06 pm »

The original had the silent, creepy kinds (Ethereals, Floaters, Sectoids, Cyberdiscs) that struck from the shadows with strange powers or were almost calm as they wrecked your shit, and the more aggressive and animalistic kind (Mutons, Reapers, Snakemen).

Sectoids weren't really that creepy, I mean they looked kinda cute, pale, and weak. and floaters were just emberessing, I was rather relieved at all times to see them because they always were crappy shots, and they were worthless, along with their terror units.

Mutons were so easy too, they came when you got the good shit already, and their terror units were worthless.

Snakemen (And Mr Smilies), later sectoids with commanders with cyberdisks, and etherals with their holy crap units. We're the only true threats ingame.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: May 28, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »

Floaters were sort of pathetic, both physically and in terms of capability. Sectoids were adorable, and Mutons were sort of funny to look at. The only things that made me worry were Ethereals and their terror units, as well as Chrysalids in tight quarters.

3. Run Resize Enable

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 28, 2012, 03:05:32 pm »

I was never afraid of the ethereals terror units. Laser only run for the win.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 28, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »

The problem with floaters, as it were, was the AI. I mean, thematically, I always thought they perfectly fit the role of silent flying units that could be everywhere and come at you from any direction, just waiting for the time to strike.

Mechanically... no, they didn't really live up to that at all.

Either way, I think the rockets on the new ones are stupid.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:28 pm »

If modding is allowed, I'm gonna replace all the Floater models with Stupid Jetpack Hitlers.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 28, 2012, 06:38:04 pm »

I love our national patriotism. The fact that the devs left out a bonus for our country (an entire continent) is not considered a bad thing. African bonus? Racist. South American bonus? Why do they have that? Australian lack of bonus? They don't need it. And all the Australians happily agree :)

Whilst revealing this small national secret may get me assassinated by drop-bears, the Australium that we use to fight off the aliens is actually just the technical term for beer.

The devs probably thought it would be stupid to give Antarticans the chaos penguins that they have so readily available as well. We know they'd use them against aliens in the real world, but it would unbalance gameplay horribly...........
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 625