Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962282 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1050 on: May 26, 2012, 08:53:45 pm »

This is starting to sound like this trope.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 26, 2012, 09:18:23 pm »

Yes, very much so. With so little information to run on, I can only hand-wavy theorise on the reasons for some things.

Africa isn't united against a common enemy but is (in theory) rich as hell.

South America has quite a lot of history of a-moral things happening to aliens or enemies (well, actually, they were natives. Or communists. Or capitalists. Or criminals. Or police. Or they were rich. Or poor. There's history there anyway).

I don't understand why someone would consider a single sentence and a starting bonus as racist. It makes me want to go all (dis)honourable-but-technologically-unsophistcated-warrior on their sad but alien arses. So I can lop bits off for !science!  :)
It's a game. Have fun.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 26, 2012, 11:26:19 pm »

I don't understand why people are against the more animistic ways of the aliens anyways.

I mean in the first game they were all being controlled, and were just cloned creatures being controlled by the upper intelligence branch.

They are made for war, they don't care if they are smart or not, so long as they are intelligent enough to cause chaos, panic, and destruction.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 26, 2012, 11:57:56 pm »

I'm almost certain that racist is the wrong word there Pandar.

Anyway. I wonder how instant Autopsies and Interrogations stack up to the other ones. I mean. Aircraft stuff was always super expensive, research and troop quality are super important, and the whole thing is of course dependent upon cash flow.

I don't see how South America could be a equal starting area to any other place. Maybe it will not be.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 27, 2012, 12:03:59 am »

I remember that autopsies and the like took a very long time and tied up precious weapons/armor research. Being able to instantly find the location of an enemy base or something sounds like it would be very useful.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 27, 2012, 12:42:09 am »

I seem to recall they gave a combat bonus as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 27, 2012, 12:42:25 am »

Also, what does the superiorly intelligent sectoid want from shouting at that inbreakable glass thing?

Look harder. The sectoid is trying to open the forcefield thingy with his brain rays, not shouting.

Weird choice for Africa.

Not really. If Africa ever had a threat that could tie the continent together as a cohesive force, then they might end up as a huge power block. They have the man-power, the resources, the cheap labour, the ability to do things covertly, they also have many funding channels open where things could be "off-books" for the fund-raisers, either shown as being benefactors or simply as under-the-table deals.

This is the future. Within 20-30 years Africa is expected to be the next China or India in the real world. This is the very reason why China, India and the rest of the world are investing a little ahead of schedule so that the returns are all the greater when the continent emerges fully towards the potential it shows.

Seems like quite a reasonable benefit for starting in Africa really.

Nah, it's all just about the diamonds, really.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:46:26 am by Sergius »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 27, 2012, 12:54:29 am »

Also, what does the superiorly intelligent sectoid want from shouting at that inbreakable glass thing?

Look harder. The sectoid is trying to open the forcefield thingy with his brain rays, not shouting.

Besides, weren't the original Sectoids basically just nonreproductive, violent combat clones anyhow? Even leaving the psyker stuff aside, it might be a good point if it had been an Ethereal in there.

3. Run Resize Enable

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 27, 2012, 12:54:59 am »

I don't understand why people are against the more animistic ways of the aliens anyways.

I mean in the first game they were all being controlled, and were just cloned creatures being controlled by the upper intelligence branch.

They are made for war, they don't care if they are smart or not, so long as they are intelligent enough to cause chaos, panic, and destruction.

People are against them because they are different.

Heck thats why majority dislike Apocalypse :p

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 27, 2012, 01:00:15 am »

Besides, weren't the original Sectoids basically just nonreproductive, violent combat clones anyhow? Even leaving the psyker stuff aside, it might be a good point if it had been an Ethereal in there.

They looked like small children. Maybe cuteness in murderous creatures is creepy? I don't know.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 27, 2012, 01:01:49 am »

Honestly, the guy in one of the interviews made the most important point: The original is still out there. If someone is bothered that much by the changes, it isn't as if the first game isn't available for a very low price. I can respect that they're making changes, because if we're going to be honest, the original was a flawed game. Just because it was great doesn't mean it was perfect, unless you've got cokebottle-thick rose-tinted glasses on. I can very easily see myself liking Enemy Unknown for largely different reasons and still playing both. Heck, either a straight remake with bugfixes and pretty things or a genuine, honest reinterpretation would be a Good Thing. Because the original is still right there, untouched.

3. Run Resize Enable

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 27, 2012, 01:39:49 am »

Honestly, the guy in one of the interviews made the most important point: The original is still out there. If someone is bothered that much by the changes, it isn't as if the first game isn't available for a very low price. I can respect that they're making changes, because if we're going to be honest, the original was a flawed game. Just because it was great doesn't mean it was perfect, unless you've got cokebottle-thick rose-tinted glasses on. I can very easily see myself liking Enemy Unknown for largely different reasons and still playing both. Heck, either a straight remake with bugfixes and pretty things or a genuine, honest reinterpretation would be a Good Thing. Because the original is still right there, untouched.

And there isn't REALLY point in remaking original with better graphics and better interface. People would just complain about not getting new XCOM game instead of complaining about not getting game identical to original XCOM.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 27, 2012, 01:45:44 am »

And there isn't REALLY point in remaking original with better graphics and better interface. People would just complain about not getting new XCOM game instead of complaining about not getting game identical to original XCOM.

Exactly, they are going to have angry fans regardless of what they do with something like this, so they might as well try doing a different take on it. There are reasonable complaints that can be made, but (IMO, obviously) "it isn't identical to how it used to be" isn't a particularly valid or helpful one.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 27, 2012, 01:48:48 am »

Exactly, they are going to have angry fans regardless of what they do with something like this, so they might as well try doing a different take on it. There are reasonable complaints that can be made, but (IMO, obviously) "it isn't identical to how it used to be" isn't a particularly valid or helpful one.
This trope applies nicely (read the Purist section).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 27, 2012, 03:09:15 am »

I wasn't complaining, I was just pointing out that I'd rather creepy aliens, since they're supposed to be from a distant planet, I didn't say I hate the game for this. Do I have to point that out in every sentence where I state that I don't agree with something the designers make, that I still like what I see? I am psyched for the game whatever the aliens look like, since as I've said before, I'll play it for gameplay, not graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 625