Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962334 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #975 on: May 19, 2012, 06:05:13 am »

I never understood why folks thought that the X-Com recruits were suppose to special operation folks.

Its quite clear they're just out of boot camp. Hence them being more or less in shape, and following orders well, even stupid orders. It also explains why no one has any ranks, until they start to be field promoted by X-Com itself.

You could be a general in one orginazation, as soon you enter another one, you're a recruit like everybody else, at least that's the way I understand it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 19, 2012, 06:20:21 am »

I never understood why folks thought that the X-Com recruits were suppose to special operation folks.

Its quite clear they're just out of boot camp. Hence them being more or less in shape, and following orders well, even stupid orders. It also explains why no one has any ranks, until they start to be field promoted by X-Com itself.

You could be a general in one orginazation, as soon you enter another one, you're a recruit like everybody else, at least that's the way I understand it.

You also instantly forget all your prior knowledge of combat.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 19, 2012, 11:40:44 am »

You also instantly forget all your prior knowledge of combat.
A general probably hasn't actually been in combat for several years. Those skills may have turned rusty.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 19, 2012, 01:47:44 pm »

Sounds a bit silly to me, to try to recruit as many rusty generals as possible, as opposed to... less rusty soldiers, which are probably more plentiful and "cheaper" to get?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 19, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »

I always took it as X-COM requirements being so high that the only people remotely qualified were active-duty SpecOps types, and even then they were just barely good enough for some of them to survive. You really think that a normal grunt straight out of an army boot camp would have a prayer against the xenos in anything other than human-wave style attacks?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 19, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »

I always took it as X-COM requirements being so high that the only people remotely qualified were active-duty SpecOps types, and even then they were just barely good enough for some of them to survive. You really think that a normal grunt straight out of an army boot camp would have a prayer against the xenos in anything other than human-wave style attacks?

The soldiers were experts in nose picking and that is all they knew.
Their accuracy was god awful. If they were trained in spec ops then I wonder if the spec ops had very low standards of training.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 19, 2012, 10:05:44 pm »

The various countries kept their best and brightest. You got the dregs because, let's face it: X-COM was probably meant as a sort of token international effort. No one expected you to succeed against the overwhelming alien force, so they sent you a few soldiers who at the very least knew which way to point a gun, while keeping their elite forces to defend against the inevitable invasion for as long as possible.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 20, 2012, 02:26:43 am »

The various countries kept their best and brightest. You got the dregs because, let's face it: X-COM was probably meant as a sort of token international effort. No one expected you to succeed against the overwhelming alien force, so they sent you a few soldiers who at the very least knew which way to point a gun, while keeping their elite forces to defend against the inevitable invasion for as long as possible.

As much as you are trying to justify it with some context, let just face the reality. When the game was made, no such thing was given attention. They just wanted to make a game. Would the game have any challenge if you already started with Spetsnaz as your squad members? They don't even know how to use a medkit for gods sake.
Narrative consistency is fine but when it interferes with the gameplay, you need to forget about it. What game would you rather play? One which is consistent while sacrificing gameplay or one which is actually enjoyable to play rather than hear about?

As for your justification, it is loadsa bull crap.
The whole "elite forces" never come into play. They don't even have local police defending the citizens in a terror mission and no matter how long you wait the army never comes. The countries also prefer to sign pacts with the aliens instead of actually fighting them, leaving all the work to X-Com.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 20, 2012, 02:29:14 am »

The soldiers were experts in nose picking and that is all they knew.
Their accuracy was god awful. If they were trained in spec ops then I wonder if the spec ops had very low standards of training.

The point is that accuracy is simply untrainable, in battle conditions it's really hard to get a clear shot, unless you're a sniper or something, that is mostly why soldiers can't hit shit. There was a cracked article on this, the point being that the skill that is most useful to survive is knowing how to find good cover rather than being accurate, because in action you won't be as accurate as you should, not to mention the psychological difficulties when trying to shoot an alien.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 20, 2012, 03:57:53 am »

Theres a difference between missing from 10 metres away and Missing the enemy from pointblank range while still hitting every ally near you. Guess which one the Xcom soldiers fall in?

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 20, 2012, 04:57:55 am »

If my tries with X-Com are anything to go by, the soldiers recruited by X-Com actually do fall in the first category. I never really encountered kissing range bullets going wide.

When they sometimes fail to hit enemies, it's in the first weeks and there you have those clunky slabs of metal for weapons. Considering the fact it's very much possible to bust down doors and in rare cases even normal building walls with the standard X-Com issue assault rifle, I always chalk it up to these weapons being hastily developed and thus having a bunch of flaws like ludicrous amounts of recoil.

Though, yes. I guess the nations don't trust X-Com entirely, a number of funding nations propably do see them as nothing but a way to stall time until they figure out how to negotiate with their new xeno overlords.

As for the bunch of useless recruits; well, not every funding nation owns a piece of antarctica they can reassign their nutjobs to, so...
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 20, 2012, 08:58:04 am »

Theres a difference between missing from 10 metres away and Missing the enemy from pointblank range while still hitting every ally near you. Guess which one the Xcom soldiers fall in?

Accuracy formula does not take distance into account and according to it, only very inaccurate weapons (not soldiers) can missfire a lot (the formale also dictates what's the worst possible shot you can make, starting with 1.7 and going up to 28.4 degrees.)

Of course, sometimes a missfired shot can hit a target if it's close, though that's not much of a chance.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 20, 2012, 11:14:09 am »

Accuracy formula does not take distance into account and according to it, only very inaccurate weapons (not soldiers) can missfire a lot (the formale also dictates what's the worst possible shot you can make, starting with 1.7 and going up to 28.4 degrees.)

Of course, sometimes a missfired shot can hit a target if it's close, though that's not much of a chance.

Speaking from personal opinion, that has happened a lot with me. They even miss the huge targets like UFOs. I had to wait two turns in the final alien base because all three of my remaining soldiers missed every shot they fired. The accuracy in the game is wonky at best but distance DOES matter. Out of a certain range weapons start losing effectiveness. This is also improved in various mods.
But after all that jazz, character skill is also an important factor. A rookie misses way more than,say, a sergeant(If your rookie didn't start with rambo stats that is).
Do note that we are still discussing consistency in atmosphere rather than the core mechanics.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 20, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »

It certainly looks like they're moving more in the elite operative direction than cannon fodder in the new X-Com. Since you have fewer soldiers and you're customizing them more (special abilities that are soldier skills) you're going to be more attached to each individual soldier too. I do hope this doesn't make them shy away from insta-kills, at least in the early game where you don't have good armor so the aliens can make an impression. On the other hand I won't be too miffed if everyone can afford a few mistakes in the late game, it's pretty annoying to lose a soldier in power armor who got shot once in the front with a plasma pistol.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 20, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

Speaking from personal opinion, that has happened a lot with me. They even miss the huge targets like UFOs. I had to wait two turns in the final alien base because all three of my remaining soldiers missed every shot they fired. The accuracy in the game is wonky at best but distance DOES matter. Out of a certain range weapons start losing effectiveness. This is also improved in various mods.
But after all that jazz, character skill is also an important factor. A rookie misses way more than,say, a sergeant(If your rookie didn't start with rambo stats that is).
Do note that we are still discussing consistency in atmosphere rather than the core mechanics.

I'm just saying that distance isn't in the formula, and that the accuracy of the soldier is not as important as that of the weapon.

I do hope this doesn't make them shy away from insta-kills, at least in the early game where you don't have good armor so the aliens can make an impression.

They pretty much state that in every interview, but there's not much to learn from those interviews, except to hear this stated over and over again. Like this turns them on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:31:46 pm by Domenique »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 625